awning advice

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#11 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:32 PM

I have a friend that just got one of these Moon Fabrication awnings for his van. Looks pretty simple and light weight. 

https://moonfab.co

#12 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:57 PM

One more pro for the Fiamma that I just recalled. If you are ever stuck in a traffic construction lineup, or waiting in a ferry lineup, or find yourself camped close to a tree, etc... you can partially deploy the Fiamma out. I don't see that being possible with any of the full wrap-around awnings

#13 Fishyhead

Fishyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:13 PM

I wanted a simple and lightweight awning for a little shade.  I did not want a heavy awning hanging off the top of my camper.  So I made the following:

Thanks for sharing!  I have a large MSR Zing tarp that I want to anchor to my camper.  Having those fixed D rings would certainly ease the pitching process, especially in the wind.

1997 Toyota T100 4x4 manual - 1993 FWC Ranger 8'

#14 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:25 PM

I am all about simplicity.  I like the idea of being able to just crank out the owning and not have to screw around with packing, or if the zipper breaks or if I am too close to a tree.  I also use a bug net that I made around the awning certain times of the year and want one that has a frame to support that.  There are times I wish I did not have the support legs, but that is minor.  The Fiamma awning has met those requirements better than others.  I have used it a lot for 8 years and have never had any problem.  I can put it out, my wife puts it out, is easy and reliable.  I certainly would get the same thing again if I was starting all over.

#15 canfindtom

canfindtom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:40 PM

moveinon,

Do you have a photo of your bug net around the awning?  Great idea.  Do you have any comments on how you made it?  If it functions well I may end up finally installing a Fiamma awning.  I have been a bit reticent to install an awing - just hasn't seemed to be a god enough "return on investment."  But having it double as a bug shelter - that might be a winner.

#16 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:00 PM

My Wife (who is 5' 4" or so) was dead certain she wanted a Bat-Wing style awning when we were getting ready to order our camper. Our dealer let her try to deploy and both a Bat-Wing and then the Fiamma awning..... and within seconds she changed her mind. For me, the Fiamma is the simplest and easiest and best awning out there. I am 100% ok without having the wrap-around feature in order to have such a simple and robust awning that deploys or retracts with ease by anyone, and is housed in a hard protective container.  Just my .02

Ditto...Except it was me that wanted the Bat-Wing. I went through the expense of removing my Fiamma only to later abandon the Bat-Wing and go back to the Fiamma. Unless you are tall enough to reach and deploy the Bat-Wing, it is a total pain to deploy and put away. Any slight wind with the Bat-Wing and you need to stake it down or risk damage. Also, the zipper bag easily tears. During a deploy, I got the zipper/bag caught on the pivot hinge and tore the zipper, thus rendering the bag un-closable.

Unless you stay in a spot for a few days, I never deployed the Bat-Wing. Great idea but not practical.

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#17 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:06 PM

canfindtom

I don't have any pictures, but could't be much simpler.  Bought enough bug fabric to go around the awning and sewed velcro strip to the top of bug material then sewed on all around that strip little short strips perpendicular to it about every 8 or 10 inches that when installed the little strips go over the frame of the awning then stick to back to longer velcro to hold it up.  Went to dollar store and got 3 containers of 1/2 inch magnets that I have stuck to each other with bug material in between on the bottom of the bug net to hold down the bottom if there is any wind. To take down and store I just undo the short velcro strips and roll up the two pieces and stuff right above the bumpers in front of the camper and the magnets hold them well in place. 

#18 canfindtom

canfindtom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:29 PM

moveinon,

Thank you for the reply -  sounds pretty straight forward.  Have fun out there,

Edited by canfindtom, 24 May 2020 - 12:30 PM.

#19 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:28 PM

I have used an ARB on my truck topper for years and plan on moving it to my Hawk when it arrives. I also have the Deluxe Room wit a floor that makes a great bug room or extended living quarters (great for company) We only set that up when we are staying in one place for several days. Like any “tent” they need to be guyed out and staked or you will have trouble in a wind.

I am planning on installing it on the jack brackets with these from Mule. Anybody out there use these?

They seem nice because they pivot away from the latches.

29CF0400-A47E-418F-98CF-0F691EF1C83A.jpeg

https://dasmule.com/...ckets-pre_order

how do you rotate a pic on here? :/ 

Thanks Wandering Sagebrush! :)

Edited by JWL, 24 May 2020 - 04:52 PM.

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#20 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts