Three issues to solve...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:15 PM

What systems are legal to throw in the trash? For example, if we use a simple pine cat litter setup in a bag in a 5 gal bucket, can we legally drop it in the trash? 

#12 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:29 AM

I think we're going to get a Go Anywhere and test out their kits. It's easily adaptable to something else though like kitty litter or ecogel.

#13 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:38 AM

Where do you empty portapotties? I’ve had an RV with black and gray tanks and I’d like to avoid that. Ideally, something that can be flushed down a standard toilet or thrown in the trash would be perfect.

As for 7gal, I already have two. It’s where we keep our “we’re semi-prepared for an earthquake” water. They’re heavy and unwieldy though. Each is over 60 lbs with the container weight factored in. That’s the cheapest option because we already own them. Awkward though.

With the luggable loo we wound up with too many bags to dispose of. We weren’t comfortable just throwing them in a trash can and we couldn’t get rid of them at a dump station unless we emptied the bags. Talk about a mess but that is a different story.

The portapottie can be dumped at any dump station. Almost any park that has rv sites will have a dump station as well as many highway rest stops. The state / national / county parks don’t charge a dump fee. We also have a septic system at home with an rv sewer hook up so that makes it particularly easy for us. Overall we found the portapottie much more pleasant to deal with both for use and disposal than any sort of “bag” method.

I hear you on the water jugs and the reason we use those is exactly the same as you state. We plan on “upgrading” our system but not so far as installing a permanent water tank.

Edited by windy, 06 August 2020 - 02:41 AM.

#14 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:49 AM

With the luggable loo we wound up with too many bags to dispose of. We weren’t comfortable just throwing them in a trash can and we couldn’t get rid of them at a dump station unless we emptied the bags. Talk about a mess but that is a different story.

The portapottie can be dumped at any dump station. Almost any park that has rv sites will have a dump station as well as many highway rest stops. The state / national / county parks don’t charge a dump fee. We also have a septic system at home with an rv sewer hook up so that makes it particularly easy for us. Overall we found the portapottie much more pleasant to deal with both for use and disposal than any sort of “bag” method.

I hear you on the water jugs and the reason we use those is exactly the same as you state. We plan on “upgrading” our system but not so far as installing a permanent water tank.

You are very persuasive.  :lol:

I decided to cancel the bag option and go with a small Thetford 345. What chemicals do you use? 

#15 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:42 PM

Any chemical that is safe for septic systems. We prefer the ones that do not have a heavy or pufumey odor.

#16 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:53 PM

Any chemical that is safe for septic systems. We prefer the ones that do not have a heavy or pufumey odor.

The Aussie sites talk about putting something in the upper tank too (Thetford Aqua Rinse Pink), but I can't find anything. 

I don't like the perfume smell either, but I really dislike poop smell. Things like orange are OK.

What specific brands do you prefer? 

#17 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

Pick something without formaldehyde. 

I am haunted by waters

#18 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:55 PM

Pick something without formaldehyde. 

Thetford recommends Aqua Bio now.

Interestingly they make a fresh water tank product called Aqua Rinse that they recommend in Europe and Oceania, but don't sell in the US. I think it helps keep the bowl clean. 

#19 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:26 PM

We use the  Happy Camper product. https://www.happycampers.store/

The small container has lasted us for several years. One scoop treats  a 40 gallon holding tank. We use about a quarter scoop or less. No odor. Found it at a local RV shop.  Takes up little space in camper.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#20 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:27 PM

We use the  Happy Camper product. https://www.happycampers.store/

The small container has lasted us for several years. One scoop treats  a 40 gallon holding tank. We use about a quarter scoop or less. No odor. Found it at a local RV shop.  Takes up little space in camper.

Paul

We used that in our cabin outhouse when we still owned it. Seemed to work well and as you said...lasts forever! Don't know why I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Edited by eyemgh, 06 August 2020 - 07:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users