81 replies to this topic

#11 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:49 AM

To borrow a recent popular expression, Yup!

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#12 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:14 PM

New issue.  I completely missed how much space I have on my Yakima rails aft of the rear vent; a 160W panel would not fit behind that vent using a rail mount like FWC used.  I measured a maximum of 22" between the captured nuts in the rail aft of and clear of the rear vent.

Those of you with a Hawk and with two roof vents and two roof solar panels on Yakima rails; how and where did you mount the second panel?

Thanks...Phil

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:42 PM

Phil, not sure if this is interesting to you, but someone once mounted a solar panel at the rear such that it doubled as an awning... sticking out over the back door.... 

#14 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:03 AM

Vic,

Just thinking about PMing you....no thanks on hanging anything off the back or sides....I should be able to find a panel that will fit that existing space aft of the rear vent... what I was going to PM about was the details on the solar controller you use and how difficult would it be to replace my 30 amp Zamp controller...why I am asking is that I found a post from the summer saying that the Zamp controller does not send all of the amps generated at the panel on to the batteries...it is a bottle neck for amps..Victron was recommended and I seem to remember you posting a lot about this controller..is replacing the Zamp with a Victron a straight forward disconnecting Zamp leads and replacing them with Victron leads?  

Attacking my desire for more input to batteries when off grid on three levels:  More solar amps, improved controller and Blue Sea isolator.  Trying like hell to avoid buying and using a generator.

I am not an electrician but can usually logic through....noted today that my existing 160W Zamp FWC plug on roof is a molded affair in roof top and with a single plug receptacle that the panel is plugged into....how to add add another panel in parallel with this existing wiring is a mystery to me.

Phil

Feb 2020 #53  No idea what an "MPPT" controller is.

https://www.wanderth...land-kit/page-6

Edited by Wallowa, 21 November 2020 - 12:08 AM.

#15 dscobell

dscobell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:29 PM

FWI A friend added a second panel to his Hawk camper. He bought a 90w panel from Zamp. In addition Zamp sent a "y" cord with the panel. This made the second panel plug and play. I have seen the camper in action and the second panel really helps with power. I am considering doing the same. I own a 2017 Grandby. 

camper: 2016 Grandby

truck: 2017 Ford F350 CCLB gasser

Callsign: KM6GWU

#16 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:25 PM

Dscobell,

Yes, that panel seems to be about all I can fit on the rails...is it possible to have your friend send me a photo and/or description on what type of frame he used to mount on the rails?

Thanks...appreciate the information.

Phil

#17 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:38 PM

Phil,

I don't know if you considered a foldable solar panel that then gets plugged into the solar plug left of the camper door. I bought this: https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this:

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Together they just plug right in, adding another 100 watts. 

If you are needing a permanent solar panel mount, this won't be any help. But these two meet all our solar needs and then some.

Tony

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#18 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:32 PM

Thanks!   ...I bought the FWC 80W Zamp portable with the '16 Hawk...problem with the portable is sun direction; effectively chasing the vert and horz angle and what to do with it when you are gone if you want to have it when you return...

Hey, no free lunch....will diligently try to put in a second roof top panel..or failing that for winter use go to a generator.

Checked my shocks on the top; 30lbs each....are the 60lb shocks a simple plug into the existing mounting hardware on the top?

Phil

#19 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:54 PM

Phil what is the distance from vent to back roof edge. Will a panel fit there without overhang? If so the tracks can be extended to the back edge by buying and cutting rails and screwing them to the roof.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#20 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:27 PM

Pvstoy,

Thanks I did not know that was a possibility...BUT currently I have 22 inches maximum between the two captured nuts in the Yakima rail and the dimensions of the 90W are 58.3 [distance between the rails] / 13.6 wide / 1.5 thick...so I should have enough room and not need to "drill" into the top..."any penetration, no matter how slight" into the exterior siding or top of my Hawk and I blanch and run away....

Must contact Zamp and see exactly how the panel mounts to the rails [my Yakima rails] and if they indeed offer a splitter cable so that I can plug both panels in parallel into the existing FWC solar wire plug on the top...

Thanks again...

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users