35 replies to this topic

#11 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:18 AM

With the old camper we carried a 4 sided Clam Shelter ( https://www.amazon.c...?k=Clam Shelter ) with 4 privacy panels on it. Can set it up by myself in just a couple minutes. Takes longer to stake it down than it does to set it up. I started out thinking that we wanted an attached shower enclosure until I built one using PEX and 3 shower curtains. Then someone here posted a link to the Clam enclosure and I liked it a whole lot better. Does work for far more than just a shower enclosure. We've retreated out of the wind in it, we've cooked in it, we've used it as a central gathering spot, we've set it up over a picnic bench and eaten out of the wind in it, and more. It is a bit bulky when collapsed. Since we've lost the ~15" gap across the front of the bed due to the 6.5' camper in an 8' bed we no longer have a place to carry it other than on the roof of our Chucara XL. Which I am tempted to do!

Edited by ntsqd, 27 January 2021 - 03:19 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#12 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:24 AM

The curtain goes in a drawer inside the camper, and doesn't take up much space folded flat (it dries quickly). We have enough storage space so it's not a problem. I can see the attraction of an enclosure that stows outside where it attaches, though - in addition to storage space savings it wouldn't require individually clipping all the curtain rings onto the frame and removing them every time you set it up (but I could definitely figure out a way to streamline that process if I ever care enough to do so). I do like the way our frame is clean looking and aerodynamic on the exterior, though, and there's a certain satisfaction in doing-it-yourself.

Having said that I rarely use the curtain despite showering frequently when camping, since we typically boondock away from strangers. If we're camped anywhere that somebody might happen by I wear a pair of quick-drying running shorts and if anybody's offended they can go find somewhere else to camp!

Showering is just so nice when out on an extended trip - it really tamps down that pesky yearning to get "back to civilization." So whatever it takes to come up with a system you like, it's worth it.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L CTD short bed quad cab, 2008 Hallmark Guanella

#13 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:59 PM

ntsqd,

I forgot about those clam shelters.  Not having it attached to the truck has some benefits (as well as drawbacks).

Good suggestion.  Thank you.

I am starting to lean towards a Fiamma type awning with removable side panels so It can be used as an awning, shower/porta pottie tent or even a floorless room.  That is probably the most expensive, but maybe the most versatile option for our needs.

Still searching though so hoping for more responses from other folks.

________

DoGMAtix

Thanks again.

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 27 January 2021 - 11:02 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#14 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 17 March 2021 - 10:27 PM

20210317_145026.jpg

I went with the Zero Declination mostly on price and it comes with everything you need to mount it to a FWC except the Butyl tape.  Installation was a breeze, followed the instructions carefully making sure where I wanted the inside washers that hold the enclosure in place.  The enclosure now comes with locking arms and I've only used it once but I was getting very tired of having to leave a campground and find a private place to shower whenever camped at a organized campground. 

I recommend this unit and I cant really see why someone would need to pay hundreds more?

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#15 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 March 2021 - 01:07 AM

I am starting to lean towards a Fiamma type awning with removable side panels so It can be used as an awning, shower/porta pottie tent or even a floorless room.  

Craig

Craig,

We have the awning but also have this https://www.amazon.c...24&sr=8-37&th=1

to solve the flooring problem -- works amazingly well. We usually go barefoot under the awning with this plastic, lightweight roll up rug.

Here is another, similar: https://www.amazon.c...B089FHPLWR&th=1

We pin it down with a couple of water jugs. It is a permeable weave so you can spill on it and the wet goes right through.

Tony

Edited by AWG_Pics, 18 March 2021 - 01:12 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#16 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 03:26 PM

There are many solutions to a shower enclosure.

We use a small aluminum roof bow that is about 48 " wide.

It temporarily attaches to rear of camper spanning the door and suspended by straps from raised roof.

Simple shower curtain hangs on this.

Solar shower lays on roof top.

One can open camper door within the curtain, shower and then re-enter camper to dress.

The roof bow is aluminum and stows easily under bed.

Lots of solutions.

David Graves

#17 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 18 March 2021 - 06:33 PM

David,

Do you have an inside shower?  I don't think my outide shower hand held wand will reach to the back door but I like your suggestion just the same.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#18 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 11:56 PM

Hi Craig

My shower is a bag solar shower....sometimes it is inside :).....

You could put the roof bow on the side or where ever you want....very common boat roof brackets.

I don't have a photo but it is just some very lightweight aluminum from some or other boat top.

1/2" EMT conduit would work just as well....although the brackets might not fit.

DG

#19 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 19 March 2021 - 05:32 AM

Might be able to find what you need at Overtons in the bimini top hardware section.  They are affiliated with Camping World.

https://www.overtons.com/

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#20 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 20 March 2021 - 09:48 PM

Hey Craig,  Thanks for starting this post!  I looked on line at many different mounted units.  They all are various pricing and seem to have the similar way they work.  

I decided to pay a little more and get the Quick Pitch Quick-En-Suite in the bag version. Also watching many other brands on u-tube I can see the arms don't flex around like the others.  Bag over the hard aluminum case not because of the extra money, but I know how and where I drive and feel the bag will survive tree limbs better.  

I  made the purchase from Artemis Overland Hardware for $399.00 with no shipping charges. https://artemisoverland.com/

Here is what they offer for shower tents.   https://artemisoverl...ctions/en-suite

Now I'll just wait for it to be delivered and then study where and how to best mount it on the side of the Hawk Flatbed.

Patrick

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users