Photo

Questions regarding "So, you want to setup a good electrical system in your camper?"

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#61 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 March 2021 - 10:08 PM

We can probably help, but we need some more details:   What monitor are you using?  Which DC-DC charger are you using?   What battery are you using that wants 14.8V to charge?

Are you sure the ground on the DC-DC is connected to the camper battery through the shunt?  If not, the shunt won't register the charge current from the DC-DC charger. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#62 CatButt

CatButt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:30 PM

If your existing panels are in series, that would mean that a portable would need to be put in series with the roof panels.     To do that, you need to disconnect the wiring to the roof panels and connect the portable into the circuit, and the reverse to disconnect the portable panel.   Furthermore, all the current from all your panels would be running through the wiring to your portable panel.   

So yes it *could* be done, but practically it would be much easier to either run everything in parallel or run a separate charge controller for your portable.

Thx much.

#63 Tom S

Tom S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:38 PM

Hi Rando. Good work I think you have it nailed with the negative leads. In my quest for a clean installation I’m thinking I have somehow bypassed the shunt with the negative going back to the truck. The big lugs on the #2 wire didn’t fit nicely on the negative buss so I joined them very neatly and tidily at the negative terminal thereby bypassing the shunt. lol. Hey people who don’t do anything never make any mistakes!! I’ve made lots... Thanks. And I’m using a Renogy 30 amp dc2dc charger with MPPT and a Renogy 500A monitor and a Stark Energy 125 ah AGM battery. I’ll let you tomorrow how it all works. Cheers.

Tom

#64 Tom S

Tom S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:38 PM

Hi Rando. Good work I think you have it nailed with the negative leads. In my quest for a clean installation I’m thinking I have somehow bypassed the shunt with the negative going back to the truck. The big lugs on the #2 wire didn’t fit nicely on the negative buss so I joined them very neatly and tidily at the negative terminal thereby bypassing the shunt. lol. Hey people who don’t do anything never make any mistakes!! I’ve made lots... Thanks. And I’m using a Renogy 30 amp dc2dc charger with MPPT and a Renogy 500A monitor and a Stark Energy 125 ah AGM battery. I’ll let you tomorrow how it all works. Cheers.

Tom

#65 Tom S

Tom S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:39 PM

Tom

#66 Tom S

Tom S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:40 PM

Sorry for that it didn’t seem to be sent.

#67 Tom S

Tom S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:33 AM

The negative was definitely the culprit. I moved it over to the negative buss and everything is working as it should. Not a lot of current as the battery is now well and truly charged but it is reading in the right direction. I just couldn’t wait until tomorrow. Now it’s definitely four thirsty!!! Thanks again and cheers.

Tom

#68 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:00 AM

Full disclosure, I don't have an Orion-Tr.   However, looking at demo on the Victron connect app, you can adjust the engine running detect parameters to work with the voltage drop in your cables, unless your alternator output is REALLY low.  

Agreed.  I had to tweek mine a fair bit, and then they released a software update that made it plug and play.  But my alternator puts out 14.6V.  YMMV

KP has also indicated the power cycling issue is real with 10g wire. 

I would add that the Victron DC2DC needs really good airflow to avoid self-throttling.  

#69 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:16 AM

Thanks everyone for the help with my question.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#70 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 12 March 2021 - 05:30 AM

I would add that the Victron DC2DC needs really good airflow to avoid self-throttling.  

My Grandby is due to arrive in mid-May, and I am firming up my electrical power configuration.  I have most of the equipment now, but won't have the battery until late April. 

I am installing a 200Ah LiFePO battery that will take up nearly 1/3 of the volume of the Grandby battery compartment (battery is 10.5"L x 7.5"W x 12" H).  I plan to install a Victron MPPT 100/30 and Orion 12/12-30 in that compartment on the side wall opposite the door.  I was planning to put the Orion above the solar charger, with the top of the Orion 4 inches below the top of the compartment.  I could swap the position and put the Orion in the low position.  The compartment will have about 1.5 cubic feet of remaining open volume with the battery and the two chargers installed, with most of that open volume around the chargers.  However, there is no ventilation other than a tiny exterior vent and leakage around the door foam seal.  Do you think the Orion will have the self-throttling issue in this environment? 

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users