• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:42 PM

Hello Again

I think we have demonstrated here that one can take any group of friendly, like minded friends and put them on social media and the result is....an argument.

David Graves

#32 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:04 PM

Hello Again

I think we have demonstrated here that one can take any group of friendly, like minded friends and put them on social media and the result is....an argument.

David Graves

different opinions and different experiences do not necessarily equal an "argument"  unless one wishes to frame it that way

and IMO attempting to impugn the character of people  you don't really know by stating "IF you care about impacting an area...." is a great way to instigate an argument

Edited by teledork, 27 February 2021 - 11:25 PM.

#33 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:11 PM

Then there are those of us who , rightly or wrongly, mark the our own camp boundaries with a combination of our own and our dogs pee <_<

Smoke

the latest advice about camping near marmots is to pee further away from camp - supposedly the marmots come for the pee (salts) and stay for the cork handle on the fly rod (personal experience - ate part of the line too) or shoes or ......... 

and that was even with a dog sleeping right next to me beneath a tarp 

#34 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:08 PM

I believe dog owners need a license to be able to take their pet off their property and must annually pass an obedience test. 

A medium to large sized dog which is kept confined and not adequately exercised  is going to be a dangerously unhappy and unsocialized animal. There was a Rottweiler up the road who terrorized the neighborhood any time he got out - which was frequent. IMO the license needs to happen BEFORE the owner gets the dog. 

And to be fair I feel exactly the same way about human children. 

#35 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:27 PM

I don’t have a dog in this fight (pun intended) as we do not have a dog but this discussion has been interesting from an outsiders view. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#36 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:14 PM

Cats?

We have had a number of cats over the years, but Louis Catorze is the first for which it might be possible to take with us. He is unusually people focused. But he is a cat, and if frightened, will take off. He does well with a harness and leash, but I'm not confident that that is sufficient. We did meet a couple a few years ago traveling with a cat, and decades ago I uncounted a family on a 3 day hike on the Long Trail in VT with a cat.

Anyone had experience with traveling with a cat?

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#37 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:55 PM

Hi Jack

Cats are predators and .... :) ...they might get ate by larger cats.

Incoming !

#38 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:18 PM

Hi Jack

Cats are predators and .... :) ...they might get ate by larger cats.

Incoming !

Contrary to his wishes, he is an inside cat. He is indeed a predator; we have an upper deck that has been the final stop for several squirrels. When camping however, outside of the camper he would only be in a harness on a short leash and not on trails.

As to large cats, he would stand a much better chance than us.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#39 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:09 PM

...they might get ate by larger cats.

And raptors.  A cat is about the size of a rabbit.  Eagles can take a 30# dog.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#40 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:37 PM

The "So what?" comment reminded me of this. Dogs roaming in the farm area where my grandparents lived (not all that far from MarkBC) usually didn't survive the suddenly acquired acute lead in-deficiency. I might add that it was not administered by my grandfather, but rather likely the owner of the cattle they were chasing.

I like the sign on the dash idea, I'm going to mention that to Mrs. ntsqd.

11 years ago we moved to a house that had a large, actively farmed field behind us. Our male feral rescue accounted for 39 known gophers (including one in a trap!) before prematurely succumbing to kitty leukemia.

Some friends had a cat that loved to go for car rides. They took him camping too. He was hopeless at not winding his lead around everything. Finally his dad realized that while he could outrun him, he couldn't do it by 30 feet. From then on Scooter merely trailed a 30' lead around the camp. It was not tied to anything. If we needed control for some reason the procedure was for anyone close to the trailing lead to step on it and the person nearest would scoop him up.

All of our cats equate car ride with Vet, no hope there. Too much trauma under the bridge.

Thom

Where does that road go?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Camping, Camping Tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users