22 replies to this topic

#11 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:53 PM

https://www.overland...er-panel-osm100
I know the link says 100W but it's a fully rigid 150W on overland's website.
I'm tracking on the power needed. Seems like a Lithium might be making more sense to me based on weight and area restrictions as well. I'm curious what Brian will say about making it work with the overland controller. Thanks once again for the insight.

Thanks for including the link. The Sunpower Maxeon Gen 3 cells are very cool. Nice option, for sure, if you want a rigid panel. Although it's strange they don't advertise it on their site. It's possible that it was a product they discontinued when they went with those Sunpower Gen 3 cells in their semi-flexible panels. Anyway, combine that or the semi-flexible panel with, say, a Battle Born, heated, 100AH LiFePO4 and it's almost the plug and play you're looking for. You'll still need to use a fuse or circuit breaker, before and after your MPPT controller, but that's trivial. I'd encourage you to go Lithium if possible, it has many advantages.

Rich

Edited by ri-f, 17 April 2021 - 05:05 PM.

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#12 astropuppy

astropuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 14 September 2021 - 01:00 AM

I plugged a Victron Energy VE.Direct Smart Dongle into my Overland Solar MPPT controller w/o a hitch. It even updated the firmware on the controller. And yes it supports lithium batteries. The bluetooth app makes changing charge parameters a lot easier than using the display.

Next I'll be adding a "Victron Energy Smart Battery Sense Long Range" to the mix. 

I'm all about simple cost effective updates.

#13 Holmes

Holmes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMazama, WA

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:37 PM

I plugged a Victron Energy VE.Direct Smart Dongle into my Overland Solar MPPT controller w/o a hitch. It even updated the firmware on the controller. And yes it supports lithium batteries. The bluetooth app makes changing charge parameters a lot easier than using the display.

Next I'll be adding a "Victron Energy Smart Battery Sense Long Range" to the mix.

Hey thanks for the input Astropuppy. I remember looking into a victory blutetooth dongle and I think I brought it up to Brian at overland solar and he thought that it wouldn't work.
Just to confirm this is the victron dongle that your using?
https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Edited by Holmes, 19 September 2021 - 06:38 PM.

2018 Tacoma DC M/T Off Road
2020 Silver Spur Swift
USFS North Cascade Smokejumper

#14 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:53 AM

So are these the item that need to be replaced to go lithium??

Attached Files

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:50 PM

Left to right

- Battery separator

- Solar charger (MPPT or PWM)

- Display/interface to the solar charger

#16 astropuppy

astropuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:44 AM

Hey thanks for the input Astropuppy. I remember looking into a victory blutetooth dongle and I think I brought it up to Brian at overland solar and he thought that it wouldn't work.
Just to confirm this is the victron dongle that your using?
https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Yes thats the one.

I have now added a bvm 712 with temp sensor. Beginning to understand why so many like this victron stuff.

#17 Holmes

Holmes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMazama, WA

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:21 AM

Yes thats the one.
I have now added a bvm 712 with temp sensor. Beginning to understand why so many like this victron stuff.

Thanks for getting back to me. Just trying to save some cash by not replacing my mppt and display if I can while adding Bluetooth if possible. Whats the major benefit by adding a bvm 712? Just curious.
2020 Silver Spur Swift

#18 astropuppy

astropuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 September 2021 - 03:08 AM

Thanks for getting back to me. Just trying to save some cash by not replacing my mppt and display if I can while adding Bluetooth if possible. Whats the major benefit by adding a bvm 712? Just curious.

The 712 connects with the Dongle, giving it battery temperature. In my case with agm's, the mppt will adjust the charge profile. With lifepo4 it will know when not to charge, below freezing. 

Another reason was when you add the dongle you lose the connection for the meter. My 712 meter now occipys the hole the overland solar meter was in.

#19 Holmes

Holmes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationMazama, WA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 05:42 AM

The 712 connects with the Dongle, giving it battery temperature. In my case with agm's, the mppt will adjust the charge profile. With lifepo4 it will know when not to charge, below freezing. 

Another reason was when you add the dongle you lose the connection for the meter. My 712 meter now occipys the hole the overland solar meter was in.

I figured that was why you switched to the 712 because you can't use both with the overland display. Thanks for the info.
2020 Silver Spur Swift

#20 kb1ejh

kb1ejh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 05:55 PM

I plugged a Victron Energy VE.Direct Smart Dongle into my Overland Solar MPPT controller w/o a hitch. It even updated the firmware on the controller. And yes it supports lithium batteries. The bluetooth app makes changing charge parameters a lot easier than using the display.

THANK YOU! I had wondered if the Smart Dongle would work with the Overland Solar 100/15. I had called Victron, they said...no. I saw your post and ordered one. Yup, plugged it in to the unit and certainly worked w/o a hitch too! Did both updates to the firmware and is working great on the phone to monitor it's history. Past history is easily accessible too. Thanks again for posting that it works.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lithium battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users