292 replies to this topic

#71 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:43 PM

So.  How does everyone like to be living in interesting times? 

Paul

ps. Keep a good diary. Who’s going to believe any of this in 15-20 years.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#72 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:08 PM

Power shut off, hauling water from the river for the veggie garden, Topaz CA evac advisory and the earthquakes are coming in clusters.

Stay safe!

I am haunted by waters

#73 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:34 PM

Fun isn't it; our power has been mostly since Sunday and came back on this AM  We have had what they call  a "Rolling Black Out" since Tuesday-that means just that, once in a while it comes on but you don't know when.  Anyway, seems like all three of our power sources (PG&E 92 lines and back up local geothermal plant) went off at the  same time due to the fire. We are NOT on the Nevada Grid.  A coupe of days ago they opened a by pass  line up from North but it only provided about 1/3 of the power we need.   Last night they started to evacuate Chester and L. Amadore to the west of here, the fire southeast  of us under control. We seen to be getting smoke from everywhere (what's new.) Air quality okay to very bad and now that we have power may get to use my new air purifier. My truck is packed, charged and ready to go ---but where I do not know because there are fires  or smoke in every direction. Supposed to be 100 or so this week end with a chance of T-storms next week!Yep an other hot and smoky summer is here, but at least we have not been evacuated yet.  Lot's of people are in allot worse shape  than us.

A picture of a bright red blood sun nor moon over the general location posted above!

blood moon over Susanville

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#74 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:56 PM

There was talk of a generator for Markleeville but they lost 6 miles of transmission line. And us here in this valley may be extremely reluctant to have Liberty Utilities attempt to put this valley on a generator again. The last time someone plugged the wrong thingy into the wrong thingy or in the wrong order and sent a surge through the line that fried a lot of stuff.

I got a couple of blocks of ice in the freezer but will need to bar b a a bunch of fish.

Big concern is the expected heat and increasing smoke. My housemate has small parrots and may have to leave sooner than later if we cannot run the air purifier and ac. 6 hours back to Santa Cruz where friends are.

Edited by teledork, 23 July 2021 - 10:02 PM.

#75 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:56 PM

Fun isn't it; our power has been mostly since Sunday and came back on this AM  We have had what they call  a "Rolling Black Out" since Tuesday-that means just that, once in a while it comes on but you don't know when.  Anyway, seems like all three of our power sources (PG&E 92 lines and back up local geothermal plant) went off at the  same time due to the fire. We are NOT on the Nevada Grid.  A coupe of days ago they opened a by pass  line up from North but it only provided about 1/3 of the power we need.   Last night they started to evacuate Chester and L. Amadore to the west of here, the fire southeast  of us under control. We seen to be getting smoke from everywhere (what's new.) Air quality okay to very bad and now that we have power may get to use my new air purifier. My truck is packed, charged and ready to go ---but where I do not know because there are fires  or smoke in every direction. Supposed to be 100 or so this week end with a chance of T-storms next week!Yep an other hot and smoky summer is here, but at least we have not been evacuated yet.  Lot's of people are in allot worse shape  than us.

A picture of a bright red blood sun nor moon over the general location posted above!

Stay safe Smoke.Guess you could head to the coast.

At least the temps are lower and no smoke.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#76 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:56 PM

I'm very happy we've been largely smoke free but I also know that will change. SMUD has two large natural gas power plants. Luckily they've resisted calls to mothball them. They come in pretty handy in these kind of conditions. I sure hope the Dixie fire doesn't take out Taylorsville. The Eastern side of the Plumas has had too many fires already.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#77 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:46 PM

Power came back on in the middle of the night. I didn't know until this morning because I slept in the camper - too hot in the house. Best night of sleep I've had in a week. If there were earthquakes I  slept through them.

#78 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:20 PM

You all may know we have a huge power plant here in Moss Landing.

The one with the 600' stacks.I think it's in a "mothball" state,as it's

as it's been off line for a few years now but hasn't been removed.

With the possibility of some of the hydro plants going down due to low 

water there will be a need for power from different sources.

Interesting times we live in.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#79 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:59 PM

Everyone wants clean green energy until they have none, then firing up the old polluting plants is just fine.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#80 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:04 PM

Gee whiz, they just declared Lassen County as a disaster county (1 of 4) due to the fires and the unhealthy air quality.  Boy am I glad the power is back on and my brand new first time used Blue Air air purifier really does work.  I was not sure about whether to get one but they seem to work (as long as I have power). just fine in smoky 100 degree weather. Somehow our local county fair is still going on anyway-ah to be young and carefree again (No).  Just went outside to get some things from my camper and dang near died from the heat and smoke.

I really do not want to get to used to this but it is better than dying, these last few days of sitting in front of my battery  powered  camper fan with no where to go probably cost me a year or two I  don't have to loose!  I pride myself on being an outdoor type and know sitting around the house watching tv and reading is a recipe  for an early death but what choice do we have now? Camper still loaded and ready to go, so anyone ready to run over to the Monitor Range/Austin  area next week if the smoke has cleared a tad-give a pm.

Enough talk--back to the tv :rolleyes:!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users