64 replies to this topic

#41 BryanToyFWC

BryanToyFWC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 August 2021 - 05:33 PM

Yup, you could get away with this plan. For hardware upgrades, I do favor the Victron gear (no affiliation!). Their BMV is great, but they also have a bluetooth shunt that would do the trick for less.

Wow!!!!! Thank you very much to all. For me I think I landed on the Li battery and a DC-DC charger to start. Eventually a new controller and I’ll be all set.

Now I have to order and put together without burning my garage down. Thanks all!

#42 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 17 August 2021 - 06:49 PM

Yup, that is a good summary.     If you get a LiFePO4 with built in bluetooth, then you don't need the battery monitor.   One 100Ah LiFePO4 is roughly equivalent to  2x 75Ah AGMs. 

Longer term you may want to consider upgrading the solar charge controller to a programmable MPPT, or adding a DC-DC if you want charging from the truck, but neither is a pressing requirement.

Thanks! Appreciate all the knowledge here! Just made my life easier and an obvious decision as I had assumed I was going to have to replace everything.. 

What is the benefit of a programmable MPPT? I honestly just need to know where my battery is in terms of charge... we keep things rather simple. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#43 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 August 2021 - 08:09 PM

Thanks! Appreciate all the knowledge here! Just made my life easier and an obvious decision as I had assumed I was going to have to replace everything.. 

What is the benefit of a programmable MPPT? I honestly just need to know where my battery is in terms of charge... we keep things rather simple. 

The benefit of a programmable MPPT solar charge controller is that you can dial in its charge parameters to be exactly right (the programmable part) and MPPT will yield 15 - 30% more power to your battery than the existing PWM controller.    

Your current Zamp PWM will work pretty well in 'GEL' mode and will charge the battery, which is why there is no hurry to upgrade.  But if you want to get the most performance out of your solar system and the most capacity and longest life from your battery then an upgrade to something like the Victron MPPT 75/15 may be worthwhile in the future.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#44 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 17 August 2021 - 10:17 PM

The benefit of a programmable MPPT solar charge controller is that you can dial in its charge parameters to be exactly right (the programmable part) and MPPT will yield 15 - 30% more power to your battery than the existing PWM controller.    

Your current Zamp PWM will work pretty well in 'GEL' mode and will charge the battery, which is why there is no hurry to upgrade.  But if you want to get the most performance out of your solar system and the most capacity and longest life from your battery then an upgrade to something like the Victron MPPT 75/15 may be worthwhile in the future.

Thanks..

I just realized I have no idea what controller is in mine, or where it is. I have the Meter 5 Display, but that is just  a display.. 

Where are they typically located  -- 2013 Grandby Shell with Furnace

#45 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:21 AM

Thanks..

I just realized I have no idea what controller is in mine, or where it is. I have the Meter 5 Display, but that is just  a display.. 

Where are they typically located  -- 2013 Grandby Shell with Furnace

It sounds like you have a non-FWC solar system.   Is this the display you have:

mt5-lcd-4.jpg

If so you may already have an older MPPT solar controller, probably a 'Tracer' like this.   I think these are programmable, so you can probably just adjust the one you have.    A previous owner must have installed this, so it is anyones guess where the actual unit is.

Edited by rando, 18 August 2021 - 12:22 AM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#46 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:08 AM

It sounds like you have a non-FWC solar system.   Is this the display you have:

mt5-lcd-4.jpg

If so you may already have an older MPPT solar controller, probably a 'Tracer' like this.   I think these are programmable, so you can probably just adjust the one you have.    A previous owner must have installed this, so it is anyones guess where the actual unit is.

hmmm. the plot thickens.. haha.. yes that is the display I have. I scrolled through all the settings and it does not have a Lithium settting.. I haven't had a chance to locate the solar controller.. might be in a space that is hard to access as I have never seen it.. 

#47 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:21 AM

hmmm. the plot thickens.. haha.. yes that is the display I have. I scrolled through all the settings and it does not have a Lithium settting.. I haven't had a chance to locate the solar controller.. might be in a space that is hard to access as I have never seen it.. 

It is probably an older 'pre-lithium' unit, so I wouldn't expect it to have a lithium setting, but it should have a 'user' setting where you can enter your own values.   However, I am not an expert on these, so I don't know how you enter those values. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#48 BryanToyFWC

BryanToyFWC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:30 PM

Friends, 

Thanks to all the help on this forum, I've spent a bunch of money on parts and I'm now excited to install them!!

Renogy 100Ah Lithium, no real reason why this brand vs BB, etc, was on sale (arrives tomorrow)

Victron DC/DC charger for alternator charge (have it!)

Victron IP22 charger for shore power to replace IOTA (have it, first part being installed)

I have a pretty dumb question, I'm sure, don't judge too harshly.  Again, not an electrician, but can attach the right wires to the right stuff.  When starting the IOTA replacement I noticed a second black wire attached to the IOTA's chassis bonding lug, which I'm guessing is grounding the unit to the truck chassis, or something like this.  The Victron IP22 doesn't have the same chassis bonding lug.    Now what?  Is this not necessary with the IP22?

I'd love a picture or something of your set up, helps to visualize.  

Bryan

#49 BryanToyFWC

BryanToyFWC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:36 PM

Also, think I'm confusing myself.  Do I need to add an additional converter to the Victron IP22 set up?

#50 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 September 2021 - 05:50 PM

The Victron  IP22 is grounded through the plug and double insulated, so you don't need any additional grounding lug.  It also full replaces your existing converter.   Remove the Iota and install the Victron. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users