Texas Posse scolded

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:58 AM

Oregon Traffic Code says a driver must pull out where safe to do so when impeding 5 or more vehicles.

( But then who much cares anymore about the law ? )

An issue does arise with groups of travelers who wish to drive together and arrive together.

In my area it can often be groups of motorcyclists with sometime 20 or more traveling in a procession.

Best thing is to pull out when you can and remain patient if you are behind.

Driving is the most dangerous thing you did today.

David Graves 

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,340 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 July 2021 - 02:46 AM

Driving is the most dangerous thing you did today.

David Graves 

With years and years of teaching outdoor skills, your point is the one we always stressed.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:04 AM

I saw the post on the FB group.  I'm a Local in Colorado.  Born and raised.  I've seen both sides of this coin for sure.  If the group was doing the speed limit, the guy complaining needs to back off.  Now if the group was going under the speed limit sure there is some room to gripe.  Even still, some roads don't have pullouts to get out of the way if you wanted to. 

But having been stuck behind an RV coming down through the Arkansas river canyon from Salida I can find it infuriating when I'm second behind the guy and can see 20 other poor soles in my mirrors. Never have I ever been more happy to see a State Patrol leap frogging his way up the line to pull the guy over that's overwhelmed with the scenery and the lack of ability to drive a house on wheels through a winding river road. I will say this without trying to come off snobbish, but it had out of state plates.  

Was it appropriate to take a pic and post it up on a FB group page for the main point of griping about it?  Nope. 

#14 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,772 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:08 AM

Why is it that when you do get to a safe passing zone or lane the person speeds up making it difficult and unsafe to pass?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,340 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:30 AM

Why is it that when you do get to a safe passing zone or lane the person speeds up making it difficult and unsafe to pass?

Because they feel back at home on a four lane road. We should remember how few people drive two lanes these days. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#16 EYEMLOST

EYEMLOST

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:34 AM

Because they feel back at home on a four lane road. We should remember how few people drive two lanes these days. :)

Interesting point. :scratches chin:

1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

#17 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:06 PM

I too have been on both sides of this issue. I pull over anytime I'm backing up traffic, regardless of the speed limit or my current traveling speed. It is the courteous thing to do.

#18 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:37 PM

It does seem a little unreasonable to post this on social media, as it is really not that big a deal.   However being a 'local' in CO I can also understand that it can be a bit frustrating, particularly when you encounter groups.   While the roads are often super scenic, steep and winding, some locals are commuting, or just trying to get from A to B and are very familiar with the roads.  On mountain road passing can be difficult to do safely, so it is safer for everyone to pull over when you can.   With the current surge in RVs in the state, I have been guilty of getting a little frustrated getting stuck behind packs of them and their 'toads'  who are (understandably) driving cautiously, but also not being particularly courteous to other drivers be pulling over when they can. 

Unfortunately this may also be coloured by some animosity towards Texans in Southern CO.   While I am sure as WtW folks you all were not part of the problem, but there has been some tension between locals and tourists, particularly with regard to ATV and Side by Sides (not so affectionately known as 'Texas Golf Carts') in some of the mountain towns.  Many of these tourists are 'proudly' from Texas (you know the type), which may have lead to some unfair stereotypes. 

Rando,  that is when I get out the popcorn as I read the posts on San Juan Mountain Trail Group.  There is definitely a battle line.  Fortunately Michael does a great job of keeping it peaceful, and so do our administration on this site. Good post.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#19 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 July 2021 - 02:38 PM

Rando,  that is when I get out the popcorn as I read the posts on San Juan Mountain Trail Group.  There is definitely a battle line.  Fortunately Michael does a great job of keeping it peaceful, and so do our administration on this site. Good post.

Yeah, it is not a great situation on many levels.   On a serious note, there are some fairly blatant public lands stewardship issues - the theory some of my friends in Telluride have is that TX has almost no public lands, so many of the 'off roaders' who come up to CO have mostly driven in private 'off road parks' in TX and bring that pay the entrance fee then anything goes attitude the USFS land in the San Juans.   Hopefully this can be addressed with better education and a moratorium on new ATV rental outfits. 

The more insidious part is the division that this is breeding within the CO community.  Silverton is a (not so) great example of this.  One influential part of the community makes a lot of money renting ATVs, selling expensive burgers, bud-lite and T-shirts to the tourists.  Whereas another part of the community isn't making a living from the tourists but still had to endure living with hoards of ATVs ripping through town and past their houses every summer.   Earlier this year the town rescinded the special exception that allowed ATVs to be driven on town streets (as part of the alpine loop) at the request of residents, but the folks in the tourist industry have forced this to a town wide vote and reinstated the exception for this summer.   The whole issue is tearing this tiny isolated town apart.  

I am sure these issues are in no way limited to Texans, but they are often the most identifiable offenders.  I know Wyomingites feel the same about Coloradans when the license plates turn green every spring.  

Sorry for thread drift and rambling....

Edited by rando, 28 July 2021 - 02:39 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#20 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:09 PM

This, when it’s safe:

I too have been on both sides of this issue. I pull over anytime I'm backing up traffic, regardless of the speed limit or my current traveling speed. It is the courteous thing to do.

Full stop. 

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 28 July 2021 - 03:12 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users