29 replies to this topic

#21 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:37 PM

Everything discussed thus far in this thread is everyday happenings around here. I could write a book about it but I'd adhere to one of my tenets - the things you can't change, make fun of.

Realistically though, everybody has a camera and knows how to use it, most everyone is in a hurry to post up "something good" on social media. That's life these days. Nothing makes these folks happier than getting a response and stirring things up. I find the best approach is no response at all, don't give them the satisfaction. I find it frustrates the hell out of them and often times confuses them. Now that is fun.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:43 PM

I used to get upset when stuck behind some slow motorhome but I've mellowed over the years. After all, where would I be if I'd left fifteen minutes earlier or later? 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#23 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:30 AM

The signs read "speed limit," not "minimum speed." It is perfectly acceptable for a driver not familiar with the area to drive slightly slower to be safe, or if the weather conditions are poor, or if the vehicle handles differently due to payload. Balance that against a few people who are in a hurry? Really???

Motor vehicle deaths are in the tens-of-thousands annually and some are debating who is wrong when comparing a driver who is driving safe compared to one who is not...for no logical reason besides being in a hurry, lol.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#24 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:50 AM

Earlier this year while headed over Hoosier pass and down to Breck to work, driving the speed limit; this guy flew around me giving me in my FWC a dirty look. I caught up with him just a few miles later where he had slid off the road and was terribly angry and yelling at his passenger (wife).

AM-JKLVytAXifF-Pj64-l55Jz2FdM315zpfDeAGN

Then this was last month here right near my house on 285. An SUV passed someone pulling a camper and hit an 18 wheeler head on. He was air lifted to Denver where he was pronounced dead.

AM-JKLUb1297UnD45WSsmmsUnwl3HkOCOIf0L3YB

I think it would be great if folks would relax behind the wheel and arrive alive. 

Edited by patrkbukly, 29 July 2021 - 12:50 AM.

#25 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:07 AM

Earlier this year while headed over Hoosier pass and down to Breck to work, driving the speed limit; this guy flew around me giving me in my FWC a dirty look. I caught up with him just a few miles later where he had slid off the road and was terribly angry and yelling at his passenger (wife).

AM-JKLVytAXifF-Pj64-l55Jz2FdM315zpfDeAGN

Then this was last month here right near my house on 285. An SUV passed someone pulling a camper and hit an 18 wheeler head on. He was air lifted to Denver where he was pronounced dead.

AM-JKLUb1297UnD45WSsmmsUnwl3HkOCOIf0L3YB

I think it would be great if folks would relax behind the wheel and arrive alive. 

Totally agree.  Despite my tendency to be a leadfoot I've mellowed some.  Kind of depends on what I'm driving, but my daily or K5 I pretty much stick to the speed limit or at most 5 over depending on the road and or conditions.  

I commute 40 miles to work one-way and most of it is on US Hwy 50 from Pueblo CO to Canon City.  Divided 4 lane highway and I'm amazed that even at posted speed limit of 65 MPH and me going 5 over how often I get passed like I'm tied to a tree stump.  Out of state plates, hauling the mail with 5th wheel trailers, toy haulers with multiple ATV's and SxS's.  The majority are Texans given the fact that Hwy 50 is the second busiest US highway that crosses the rockies in Colorado and how easy it is for a Texan to get there.  

They drive the diesel duallys pulling trailers like they do the side by sides, like the own the road.  I haven't seen any wrecks but there has been some close calls in the summer.  Winter is a whole other story.  I've had a Volvo wagon fly by me on snow covered roads where they are easily going at or over the speed limit and I'm doing 45 and still feeling the truck break traction here and there.  Sure enough a mile ahead I see a cloud of snow stirred up in the center median when the Volvo did a couple of loops on a dead straight section of road no less and ended up pointed east in the median when she was just going west.  I waved as I passed.  The irony was my shop got the call from the state patrol to tow the car in.  I refrained from rubbing salt in the wounds when she came in to pay the bill and pick up the car.  The bill was punishment enough.   

Another fun one is watching a flat-lander coming down a major grade.  Riding the brakes all the way down.  The burnt brake smell getting more noticeable the closer to the bottom we get.  I've lost count how many have rolled into our shop in Canon a full 2 hours east of Monarch pass and folks stopping in to ask why the car/truck shakes every time they hit the brakes now.  All the while the cooked brake smell is still coming from the front end.  

#26 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:07 PM

….Realistically though, everybody has a camera and knows how to use it, most everyone is in a hurry to post up "something good" on social media. That's life these days. Nothing makes these folks happier than getting a response and stirring things up. I find the best approach is no response at all, don't give them the satisfaction. I find it frustrates the hell out of them and often times confuses them. Now that is fun.

it’s posts like this that make we wish this site had a “like” button!

Having raced Porsche’s in the past I understand and appreciated the “need for speed” but ONLY on a racetrack. Driving a heavily loaded vehicle or pulling a trailer is actually more dangerous than driving at 140+ mph on the track. I’m not sure if it’s due to my age but I definitely find myself driving slower in our truck camper than my Porsche but I do try maintain the posted speed limit if weather isn’t a concern.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#27 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:32 PM

I've lived in CO the past 30 years with a few years in CA in between. I hate to say it, but driving in CO has become very frustrating and dangerous. Our population has exploded.  East coast, west coast and certainly Texas are the vast majority of out of state license plates. It is what it is, and it is so bad that when I visit and drive in Northern CA it is a relief. Every week I see the remains of a horrific crash. Street racing is huge along the front range. What were once sleepy mountain and west slope towns are now inundated. Caravans of Jeepers and campers are far more common and just one more thing to deal with. CO is waaaaaaay different now. Drive here at your own peril.

#28 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:01 PM

Having lived in Colorado for 16 years and travelled all over the State and it’s mountains fishing and climbing I am now kind of embarrassed while visiting and driving my Tundra and FWC with Texas plates.  Well maybe embarrassed is not the right word, maybe self conscious. We still have friends living in CO and meet up with them and their FWC, I ask them if they are embarrassed to be with someone from Texas and they say no because I don’t drive like someone from Texas.  But when I get behind someone with CO plates driving slow I can see that they are either elderly, just enjoying the view or all of the above. So once again people put labels on everyone,  “oh they are Texans, or Darn Californians!” Instead of just someone enjoying the splendor of the mountains or trying to keep their family safe. And we with our truck campers get thrown in the same category as regular RV’s. Our society unfortunately just has a lot of hate and anger now and those types are going to lash out at whatever hits their button. There is not much we can do about it other than try and be as courteous as we can.

off of my soapbox now I will say that even driving the speed limit if I pulled over and let someone riding my bumper to go on I would never get anywhere. Ya just gotta do what ya gotta do! :)

Edited by JWL, 30 July 2021 - 02:03 PM.

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#29 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 31 July 2021 - 12:52 PM

off of my soapbox now I will say that even driving the speed limit if I pulled over and let someone riding my bumper to go on I would never get anywhere. Ya just gotta do what ya gotta do! :)

JWL, where are you here in Texas? We need to get together and discuss our Colorado friends ;0 :) As you can see from picture there are a few of us that get out and about!

#30 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:30 PM

JWL, where are you here in Texas? We need to get together and discuss our Colorado friends ;0 :) As you can see from picture there are a few of us that get out and about!

New Braunfels. And that would be cool! 

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users