72 replies to this topic

#51 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 09 August 2022 - 10:20 PM

So I am gonna need new shoes for the truck. The OE is "P" rated Firestone tire and they are wearing on the outside edge. I'll have the alignment looked at but I don"t have any other symptoms (and I don't even have 20,000 miles on)  

My camper is 765 lbs and I can't imagine me and the dog and food and water - and even the kayak -  would exceed the 1150 max on the truck so I did not feel the need to add springs or airbags. The truck handles quite well and just about all of my driving is on winding, mountainous roads. I do dirt (like my driveway) and FS roads but gave up serious off-roading years ago. I want something that is decent on the highway and I need to be able to handle snow. 

I'm thinking the Falken Wildpeak. There are also the Toyos.  

Anything else I might be missing? 

Edited by teledork, 09 August 2022 - 11:08 PM.

#52 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 August 2022 - 01:09 AM

We put Continental E rated Terrain Contacts on out Tundra/Hawk. They handle well, are quiet on the highway, and after a year there is almost no wear (15,000 miles). I will do the same when these wear out. Have taken them into some fairly rough Death Valley roads and southern Utah back country. I don't worry about them at all.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#53 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 10 August 2022 - 01:47 AM

I can’t report out on the Michelins now on the truck. I really liked the Toyos except for the premature whining towards the end.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#54 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 August 2022 - 02:17 AM

I've bought 3 sets of Yokohama A/T-S' and I'd have a fourth and fifth set if the pandemic hadn't had it's way. The A/T-S Xtremes I'm not so fond of. They do everything that the regular A/T-S' do, they're just a little noisier in doing it. They both go about their job with little drama, and in the case of the regular A/T-S' they perform far past what we've come to expect from that mild of a tread design. Easily exceed the more aggressive BFG A/T's that I've used extensively.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#55 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 August 2022 - 02:48 AM

We love the Yokohama Geolandar G015's.  Quiet, great on Alberta mountain snow/ice, dry/wet BC highways and Utah gravel/FS/BLM roads.  I'm on my 3 set.

#56 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 10 August 2022 - 02:53 AM

Should I get an E rated tire? 

#57 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 August 2022 - 04:18 AM

PM sent

I am haunted by waters

#58 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 August 2022 - 01:17 PM

Yes. I think so.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#59 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 August 2022 - 01:31 PM

I'd say that it depends on the size of the tire and the weight of the truck. For instance, the first set of tires that we had under our Cummins-Dodge 3/4t were Goodyear Duratrac's (not impressed!) in Load Range D. No issues with their ability to carry the weight of the truck.

Maybe a co-op in your area has a vehicle scale? I would try for individual axle weights. I would start there, something that I did not do. :)

Thom

Where does that road go?

#60 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 10 August 2022 - 02:03 PM

So my choice is a "passenger" tire or a "light truck" tire which would be an "E" rated - except a Falken Wildpeak which is still a P tire but an XL load range. 

On one forum someone said that "a P tire does not belong under a camper" but when that camper is well below the weight limit for the vehicle and the vehicle came with P tires???????

I'm just thinking that the LT E rated tires would be overkill (and would put a dent in my gas mileage?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users