Photo
- - - - -

Toyota dealer wouldn't work on my truck w/ camper attached.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 27 June 2022 - 06:38 AM

The largest Toyota dealer in Portland Metro area cannot lift my Tundra with Hawk on their usual lift. They can lift it on their four wheel alignment lift so if I am having something done that requires lifting all four wheels, I need to schedule in advance when that lift is available.

As much as I have enjoyed my Tundra, there is a domestic 3/4 or 1 ton truck in my future at some point.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#12 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:35 PM

I asked my dealer and he kind of laughed and said that they work on trucks way bigger than my Tundra and Hawk. I would say if they can’t lift it they have a problem. Unless you are way out of balance or something. :/ 

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#13 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:07 PM

We serviced Toyotas both Tundras and Tacomas with campers on them all the time at our dealership. It's all about good service, that's where you should go, find good service elsewhere !! If warranty work is needed, they can not refuse service if warranty is still valid on vehicle.

Edited by fish more, 27 June 2022 - 02:09 PM.

#14 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:43 PM

My dealer has a lift that handles them both but some places don't. Could also be insurance worries.... I have a Ford F250 so it's a big truck to start with.... Who knows but I hope you can find someone who can help you out!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#15 Seattle Mitch

Seattle Mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 06:37 PM

The last time my rig was in the shop (new struts/shocks on the front end) the four wheel parts shop had to reschedule the work. I had to remove my FWC fleet because truck was not properly balanced on the lift. They said it was unsafe. I do have a standard cab gen2 Tacoma model and the wheelbase is a little shorter.

Edited by Seattle Mitch, 27 June 2022 - 06:37 PM.

#16 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:56 PM

Can't that type of work be done with floor jacks?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#17 Seattle Mitch

Seattle Mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 09:06 PM

Probably. Will Four Wheel Parts do it that way? Apparently not.

#18 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:01 PM

I mentioned I have some Chevrolet dealer clients..  I've had my truck on their lifts.. They first put it on their standard lift, and didn't feel comfortable with it.. We moved it to the alignment lift.  Another place has a medium duty truck shop, and I've had it on those lifts, too.  But that was just me asking a mechanic I know some questions..

I'm tempted to ask them to do this job.. I could print out all the torque specs for them.  I know some of the mechanics pretty well, so could talk to them about things that might be toyota specific.

I guess I should try a different toyota dealer first, tho..  This one I went to is in the city.  I'll drive out to one in the county where they likely work on more trucks.

#19 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:05 PM

Just drive it in to service like you done it a hundred times before. No talk other than tell them what you want.

You know, I did ask them, "you think you can get this on your lifts", planting the seeds of doubt.. which quickly grew into, nope...

#20 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:14 PM

Working on the ground is slow and auto mechanics are paid by the job, not the time. They're paid the same whether your oil change takes them 3 hours or just 30 minutes.

I can see the balance of the truck on the lift being a real issue in some cases. Maybe that is insurmountable and maybe they just need to work out how to do it so that it isn't a problem.

Some lifts have cables running across the top. Tall vehicles of any type are a problem for those unless they're built with tall vehicle in mind (not every shop has enough clear height for this and the lift mfg's know this).

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users