112 replies to this topic

#31 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 October 2022 - 02:27 PM

I suspect that there is some confusing use of terms going on.

To me, a "NATO can" is the same thing as the Wavian metal fuel can, and those look like this:

new-nato-jerry-gas-can-green-1_1_3.jpg

The distinctive features of this design are the weld seam that goes around the middle from top to bottom and back; and the sort-of oval opening that is offset to one side and is closed and sealed with lever. As best as I can piece together these used to be known as "gerry cans" because their design originated in Nazi Germany, The design has since been adopted by most all of Europe regardless of which side of the Iron Curtain the adopting country was on. Probably because the Nazis left them scattered all over the continent and it was easier to adopt a good design than to try to better it when there were so many of them floating around.

The Sceptre fuel can, which I gather some call a "NATO fuel can", but the only military that I've witnessed to use them is the U.S., looks like this:

mfc_canisters_specter_05577_20l_fuelbeig

The distinctive feature of these cans is that they are a rotary molded plastic can. They use a thread-on cap and nozzle.

The old school US metal fuel can were made by Blitz (& I'm sure others) and they look like this:

s-l640.jpg

The two distinctive features of these cans is the screw-in cap and nozzle, and the pinch-weld seam around the bottom.

My own experience has been that the Blitz cans are a waste of time; that pinch-weld seam is where they notoriously fail and leak, don't bother.

The Sceptre cans are a good design, but their threaded cap & nozzle connection can fail them.

I have seen the Wavian cans take punishment beyond belief and not leak. With the Swiss nozzle they will empty their fuel faster than you'd think was ever possible and should be the can of choice.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#32 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:36 PM

👍 for the Wavians. I’m switching to the 10l (2.6 gal) flavor. Yes, they’ll take up more space for the equivalent storage amounts, but weigh less…

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#33 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:05 PM

I agree the blitz cans aren't very good but I've never had one leak from the seam. The gaskets dry out and leak. The only good think is they fit the slot on my spare tire carrier and thats a good enough reason for me to keep using them. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#34 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:02 PM

I never owned a Blitz can—or a Scepter—that didn't leak, and I've never owned a NATO can that did. No one will ever know why the U.S. military, which had access to a German fuel can early in WWII, didn't simply clone it as the Brits did, but instead tried to cut costs with the crimped seam and the screw top.

#35 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 08 October 2022 - 10:36 PM

for the Wavians. I’m switching to the 10l (2.6 gal) flavor. Yes, they’ll take up more space for the equivalent storage amounts, but weigh less…

did u look into rotopax?   and, what bracket did u use??

Oregon

#36 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 October 2022 - 10:43 PM

A friend went with Rotopax for water cans. The trip 2 weeks ago were their first outing. Nothing thicker would fit in his preferred location, but I'd give them a 2.5 out of 5 stars. Mostly because they're so narrow that they won't remain standing up on anything less than a perfectly level surface.

OTOH they worked well for his needs. We're contemplating making a spigot insert for them so that dispensing water from them is easier than their included spout.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#37 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 02 November 2022 - 04:09 AM

Nicely modified Chet!

#38 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 02 November 2022 - 03:58 PM

did u look into rotopax?   and, what bracket did u use??

Apologies for not responding sooner. I did look into Roto Pax but just couldn’t get around the price point for the equivalent storage amounts. In addition, I just like metal containers for fuel, I’ve had issues with the plastic ones leaking/expanding. As for the shorter 10l/2.5gal Wavians, they go on the roof rack. Yes, I know, not optimal placement. But I don’t want them in the enclosed bed or on the back of the truck. I’ll use a Super Siphon to replenish the tank. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#39 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 13 March 2023 - 12:46 AM

Nice reviews folks...two questions:

#1 Am I correct that the Das Mule bracket is useless on my Hawk as delivered? Need to manufacturer spacers like Chet did?

#2  I have always been concerned about carrying weight up high, at a corner or at the back of the camper....the total weight with fuel and mounting is significant...Wavian can @ 12lbs, Wavian Bracket @ 9.5lbs, Das Mule plate ? but stainless steel so heavy and 5 gallons fuel @ 35 lbs.....pushing 70+ lbs.  So is this level of weight on the corner bracket going to be a concern when bouncing down dirt roads for miles?  Not to mention 285+ $.

I will pop for the cost but do not want to either negatively affect the handling or structural integrity off road,,,what does the collective wisdom say?

Thanks,

Phil

AT Overland seems an option?

Edited by Wallowa, 13 March 2023 - 01:18 AM.

#40 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:35 AM

I had a less elegant solution on my Hawk, mounted up high like that.  Survived the HITR road.  YMMV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users