27 replies to this topic

#21 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,339 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 January 2023 - 04:50 PM

I'm curious -- what changes would you make?

I've had some wonderful quality time in our camper, in our garage lately trying to set it up for a  lithium battery. A half hour ago I managed to touch two wires together and... SPARKS! Yikes.

A simple side dinette with fixed table. The truma unit is great but unnecessary to our needs and takes up way too much space. We heat what water we need on the stove. No cabinet doors, open bins. I don't like to bend over and try to see into small spaces. I like to look down into drawers. The power points and controls hidden around the corner of the cabinet is a no go. The lack of a clear window for the front sideliner doesn't work for me. Why even put a window there if you cannot look through it in most weather conditions?  We use a top opening chest refrigerator. We'd never have an front opening fridge. 

I love the construction and the multilayer sideliner.

And, I love to see new ideas being explored.

Bison Overland in Oklahoma has similarities with the supertramp.

I'm enjoying and appreciate the well thought out responses from our WTW members.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 05:13 PM

Some good things on this, but if it does go for $60K that is what we spent on a 21 Tundra and a new ATC Cougar. But folks seem to not mind spending money on stuff like this. Weight with the roof lifting mechanism is another issue I think.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#23 2002tii

2002tii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Location94035

Posted 15 January 2023 - 07:54 AM

just like FWC, ATC and...... There is never a perfect mousetrap, that being said "Write your problems down in detail, Take them to a higher place" If I could go that spendy, I would love to try it. If I can overcome FWC Eagle shortcomings, Im sure I can live with the Supertramp, "dream, dream, dream, dream, dream along...."

#24 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 28 January 2023 - 12:05 AM

My neighbor just brought his Super Tramp home so got a first walk through yesterday. I have to say that as per the video and what my buddy said after visiting the factory it is incredibly well made. I don't think I've seen such attention to detail in any type PU camper type rig.

They have addressed a few things that popped up in video most notably a better quality zipper system and he did add the side window as an option. He traveled back to central Oregon from CO so just a short shakedown cruise but the heater worked really well in some fairly cold temps while enroute and it is very well designed for hanging out in without popping the top, with plenty of height in the non-poptop zone. The insulated soft sides are standard equipment and he remarked on how warm the camper stayed during his winter trip across the Rockies and Great Basin.

Storage will still be an issue but we all adapt to our differing rigs so he didn't seem concerned. Large amounts of storage in the bins under the seats and bed but of course those are not as readily accessed.

It had a tag in the cabinet with its "as built" weight dry - 1433# on a F-150. The rig seemed to handle the weight for the trip home just fine but he will be doing some suspension mods now that he has the rig on his truck.

Hopefully at some point we'll get a chance to camp with their setup and see it in action.

Edited by CraggyMan, 28 January 2023 - 12:06 AM.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#25 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,339 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 November 2023 - 04:41 PM

My neighbor just brought his Super Tramp home so got a first walk through yesterday. I have to say that as per the video and what my buddy said after visiting the factory it is incredibly well made. I don't think I've seen such attention to detail in any type PU camper type rig.

They have addressed a few things that popped up in video most notably a better quality zipper system and he did add the side window as an option. He traveled back to central Oregon from CO so just a short shakedown cruise but the heater worked really well in some fairly cold temps while enroute and it is very well designed for hanging out in without popping the top, with plenty of height in the non-poptop zone. The insulated soft sides are standard equipment and he remarked on how warm the camper stayed during his winter trip across the Rockies and Great Basin.

Storage will still be an issue but we all adapt to our differing rigs so he didn't seem concerned. Large amounts of storage in the bins under the seats and bed but of course those are not as readily accessed.

It had a tag in the cabinet with its "as built" weight dry - 1433# on a F-150. The rig seemed to handle the weight for the trip home just fine but he will be doing some suspension mods now that he has the rig on his truck.

Hopefully at some point we'll get a chance to camp with their setup and see it in action.

Craggy, any updates on the Supertramp?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#26 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:50 PM

Craggy, any updates on the Supertramp?

We have yet to get a chance to camp with our neighbors so no firsthand report. They did just get back from their first big trip in the Supertramp. Over 2 months across the US and back so when we next meet we'll get the lowdown.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#27 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 November 2023 - 09:56 PM

I agree with Frank. I see nothing that ingenuity hasn't made the Eagle the equal (albeit wrap around screens are snazzy) motorized lift is where I draw my line;  really not needed especially if one uses the 'speaker' crank mono pole if your back hurts. Minimal as Frank says is best. I am not a Luddite ...oh to the contrary... but the less one has to depend on complexity the better. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#28 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2023 - 09:47 PM

I've been checking these out with some interest. Regarding the linear actuators, they do have a manual override which sounds like it is cranking them down with an allen wrench which I imagine would be a very time consuming process but better than nothing. If the actuators don't work because the battery is too low, starting the truck will allow enough power for actuator operation within 15 seconds which is what Supertramp told me and was confirmed by Scott Brady in that video. They also told me that in the five years these have been on the road, there has not been a single instance of an actuator failure.

Regarding the layout, I think all the layouts are going to stink for a standard truck bed and there is no kind of magic that is going to fix that, which is why flatbed layouts are so superior.

What draws me to them is the modern systems and extremely high quality of materials and build. I had a lot of problems with campers in the past, which is why this website exists if anyone remembers the good ole days :D

Yes, they are expensive, but for the quality of the camper it's less than other options, a lot less in some cases. I'm looking for a new setup and right now my biggest barrier to getting one is not the camper but the full sized trucks these days. I want a reliable truck, not a vastly overpriced rolling entertainment center which seems like the only thing you can buy now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users