43 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,353 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 November 2023 - 06:56 PM

I'm curious as to who here on WTW uses Gaia GPS and what mobile devices you are using it on while traveling. Are you pleased with how it is working for you?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,979 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 November 2023 - 10:10 PM

I use Gaia GPS.  iPhone and iPad.  Create routes on my Windows 10 PC.

#3 Scott81621

Scott81621

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 November 2023 - 01:03 AM

I have been using for the last 10 years and it is fabulous!  Both on my Iphone and Ipad.

#4 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 16 November 2023 - 03:33 AM

I used to use Gaia on a phone and computer which was very handy in the field. A few years ago we switched to CalTopo, because at that time it’s interface was simpler on the computer for planning at home, and worked fine on a phone in the field. Maybe Gaia has improved since then. They are close competitors from what I gather. Gaia could load a rectangular area on a phone back then, but CalTopo was based on USGS quads, so Gaia was slightly easier for loading maps on the phone.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#5 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 November 2023 - 12:39 PM

We have used Gaia Premium and the detail is excellent. We use on iPad and iPhone. For out of cell area we have a very small GPS unit in truck that works great with the downloaded maps.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#6 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 02:19 PM

I have tried Gaia but so many areas we frequent are out of cell service and trying to download maps without Wifi or really strong cell service is difficult to manage.  Likely going to onX maps

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,600 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 November 2023 - 02:32 PM

I have tried Gaia but so many areas we frequent are out of cell service and trying to download maps without Wifi or really strong cell service is difficult to manage.  Likely going to onX maps

I tried Gaia, (on iPhone and iPad, with planning on the iMac or iPad) but something just didn’t click with me.  So many people like Gaia, it’s probably my problem.  

I do find the OnX Hunt application easier to use.

I am haunted by waters

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 16 November 2023 - 04:48 PM

Mr. 3Pin, I’ve been using Gaia for about 5 years now. I use it for both hiking and off-road driving, always on an iPhone or iPad ( iPad for planning only, as it is not GPS enabled). Zero complaints, I consider it an invaluable tool now. So much so that I haven’t left home with my trusty Garmin 60CSX in years. Works great in Baja and I even used it on a trip thru the Simpson desert in Oz, it has always worked flawlessly. On X seems interesting and perhaps better in some ways, but I’m sticking with what I know. Well worth the premium subscription. 

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,353 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 November 2023 - 05:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments and additional information.

For years we've been using backcountry navigator pro (BCN) on an 8" Samsung S2 tablet with a 258 micro sd card for external storage. It has worked well in the field out of the truck and on rough backroads. I have most of the western states downloaded onto the sd card for offline use. The gps antenna in the tablet is excellent.

All my navigation work with the tablet on the road is offline.

Basic road navigation is with paper maps and benchmark state atlases. We've learned to use google maps on Julie's cellphone to find grocery stores in cities.

My biggest issue with BCN is the downloading process and then ending up with missing map tiles right when I need them. Also, the map packages are small and a trip requires moving through several packages.

I expect we will continue using BCN when muscle powered.

Because I'm tired of the downloading process,  I am/was considering the Garmin Overlander mounted in the truck with an update-able database.

I started learning Gaia, signed up, paid for premium, and downloaded the app unto the tablet. I like the base gaia topo map. I find working with waypoints and routes on the desktop and syncing with the app easy. I still have to download for offline use. But the file sizes are much smaller than BCN, making for shorter download times. Thus far I've found no missing map pieces. I like the map overlay selection. I have discovered one glitch thus far. I cannot get the MVUM overlay to complete a download. I can easily copy over waypoints and such (gpx and klm files) from Google Earth to Gaia. It all worked easy enough, we were anxious to try it in the field on our last trip.

Here's what happened. The app - at least on our old tablet - is a system and power hog. The tablet got quite hot and the battery power level dropped 1% a minute. Charging the unit during use could not hold the power level steady. Overall, the app worked well as a navigation aid, but it killed this tablet. The battery level drops quickly now when using the tablet for any task.

Overall I like gaia enough to continue using/learning it. I am considering purchasing a new android tablet. Checking online I find many running gaia on an android without issue but playing "hot potato" with the old tablet has me a little apprehensive.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 16 November 2023 - 06:53 PM

These GPS apps can eat batteries. Hopefully a newer, faster processor will improve your battery life. I used to use a Garmin 60SXwhatever also, which had replaceable batteries and worked well, but the phone/tablet apps are far superior.

There may be options to improve battery life. See this: https://help.gaiagps...Life-on-Android

Edited by rubberlegs, 16 November 2023 - 06:53 PM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users