• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 26 November 2023 - 06:24 PM

The latest. As I mentioned, I decided to give Gaia a good try. Since there were battery issues with with our older Samsung tablet (with an older Android OS), we bought a new 8" tablet and I've put the time in setting up and getting it operational as a replacement.

And then I ran into a problem getting the Gaia GPS app to sync with the web. And then, we all know the drill, countless hours down a rabbit hole; an endless time sink to try to resolve the issue. I've read every article the "Gaia Help" points to. In regards to "Gaia Help" I found this on a Gaia Help forum from 10 months ago -

"For those wondering where "support" is beyond the new chatbot that simply points to support articles, the last trace of Gaia staff participating in these forums that I can find is 7 months ago (July?) in this article:

https://help.gaiagps...Download-on-IOS

Anyone see anything more recent?

Folks keep asking where help is but it seems to have been cut. It's likely a new policy resulting from the extensive cost cutting measures implemented by the CEO (possibly to support their critical metaverse initiative. ahem.). Anyway, it's up to members now since it seems to, sadly, be a skeleton crew left which is too bad as in the old days, this forum was very active with helpful, friendly Gaia staff helping users out but again, they likely cannot do so anymore."

I put in a support request to Gaia. Their response thus far -

Hey there,

Thank you for contacting Gaia GPS Support.

We have received your email and will get back to you shortly. Your ticket reference number is: 953645

This is exactly what I never want to spend time on. I'll give it several more hours. Who knows, this might be a good day to burn pine needles and toss a few more items on the pile................

good luck monte.  i put in a call to my trusty IT bud, and he recommended the samsung 8" .... but have not pulled trigger on any gps sofware....

Oregon

#22 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,353 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 November 2023 - 10:48 PM

The latest. As I mentioned, I decided to give Gaia a good try. Since there were battery issues with with our older Samsung tablet (with an older Android OS), we bought a new 8" tablet and I've put the time in setting up and getting it operational as a replacement.

And then I ran into a problem getting the Gaia GPS app to sync with the web. And then, we all know the drill, countless hours down a rabbit hole; an endless time sink to try to resolve the issue. I've read every article the "Gaia Help" points to. In regards to "Gaia Help" I found this on a Gaia Help forum from 10 months ago -

"For those wondering where "support" is beyond the new chatbot that simply points to support articles, the last trace of Gaia staff participating in these forums that I can find is 7 months ago (July?) in this article:

Folks keep asking where help is but it seems to have been cut. It's likely a new policy resulting from the extensive cost cutting measures implemented by the CEO (possibly to support their critical metaverse initiative. ahem.). Anyway, it's up to members now since it seems to, sadly, be a skeleton crew left which is too bad as in the old days, this forum was very active with helpful, friendly Gaia staff helping users out but again, they likely cannot do so anymore."

Hey there,

We have received your email and will get back to you shortly. Your ticket reference number is: 953645

This is exactly what I never want to spend time on. I'll give it several more hours. Who knows, this might be a good day to burn pine needles and toss a few more items on the pile................

I put in several more hours. I believe I may have figured out the issue and the app finally synced with the web after hours and hours. I then downloaded maps packages that cover all of California and Nevada - hours, but I was expecting that. Julie and I went out on local USFS backcountry roads today. All went well with good practice using Gaia.

Now, here at home, it only takes a few seconds to sync the app at start up.

As you can tell, I'm happier.

The new Android tablet is an 8" Samsung Active 3. Specs say it will take rugged use, the battery is replaceable (you can carry spares). When plugged in the power can be set to directly power the unit and bypass the battery. It has a decent processor, 128GB of internal memory and it can run a micro sd card up to 1 TB. I have a 512 GB installed.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#23 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:01 AM

Congratulations on a good outcome through a fraught process. I hope it serves you well for years to come!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#24 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,353 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 04:37 PM

<snip>

Hey there,

<snip>

An update:

I received a reply from gaia support via email. This is how support plays out.

Jules S. (Gaia GPS)

Nov 27, 2023, 12:30 PST

Hi there,

Sorry for the trouble syncing and downloading maps.

From your device, please open this email and tap on the following link:

https://www.gaiagps....nc.forceallpush

It should launch Gaia GPS and start a sync. When finished, it should show the current time next to Last Sync, but depending on how much data is syncing, it could take several minutes:

If the issue persists after that, please try force-closing the app, re-launching it, and then following the same steps.

If that still doesn't work, would you mind sending me your device logs so I can take a closer look at this issue for you? Here's how to do that:
  • Please open Gaia GPS > Settings > Help > Send Logs and mention my name in the message so it gets routed back to me.

Regarding the situation with downloading maps:

Will you try the steps in this article and let me know if that resolves this issue for you?

Additionally, please try these things:

• Map downloads will be paused on Android if the app is fully closed. Make sure the app is running in the background. For a large download, try leaving it connected to wifi and plugged in overnight.
  • Turn on auto-resume so that map downloads will automatically resume if app is closed. Tap Settings > Performance > Under Map Downloads, toggle on Auto-resume

If you continue to have any issues, please send me the following information so I can take a close look:

• Are you receiving any sort of error message when you try to download a map?
  • Can you send me a screenshot of the Downloads screen (tap Saved > select Downloads from the Saved menu filter)?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jules | Gaia GPS Customer Success
Outside Inc. Team

Jules,

I resolved the sync issue on my own over the weekend. I have successfully downloaded maps now but my main issue continues to be downloading MVUM maps. They download about halfway and then start over, this continues and the download does not complete. I have given up on MVUM, but MVUM is one reason I went with Gaia, so I am disappointed with this issue. No error messages.

Monte

Jules S. (Gaia GPS)

Nov 30, 2023, 14:58 PST

Hi Monte,

That's great to hear that the sync issue is resolved!

Sorry for the continued trouble with the MVUM downloads. 

You can cancel the downloads by deleting the maps from your Saved items.  

To do so, follow these steps:
1. Tap on the Saved icon in the app
2. Tap on the filter at the top and choose Maps (the filter looks a little different between iOS and Android)
3. Locate the partially downloaded map
4. On Android, click on the map name to open the options for that map.
5. Choose Delete

That should both delete the maps and cancel the downloads. I would also recommend force closing and re-opening the app as a final step.
• Closing apps on Android

Once the maps have been deleted you can restart the download to see if it works. 

If the issue persists, please let me know. 

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#25 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,600 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 December 2023 - 07:33 PM

It’s nice they’re being responsive.

I am haunted by waters

#26 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 08 December 2023 - 08:52 PM

Sorry to hear Gaia has been such a hassle, and support slow and complicated. The MVUM is a really nice thing to have downloaded, once you get it working.

Will Gaia have the ability to create a route along roads from point A to point B? As far as I can tell, CalTopo doesn't do that on a handheld device.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#27 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,979 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 December 2023 - 12:24 AM

Will Gaia have the ability to create a route along roads from point A to point B? As far as I can tell, CalTopo doesn't do that on a handheld device.

I use Gaia for that, but on my windows laptop or iPad.

#28 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,353 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 01:15 AM

Sorry to hear Gaia has been such a hassle, and support slow and complicated. The MVUM is a really nice thing to have downloaded, once you get it working.

I use Gaia for that, but on my windows laptop or iPad.

Yes it does. It also will "snap" to a road or a trail to put a route exactly along either. It will also go point to point, along the lines of what you can do on Google Earth. This, I find, is one of the best features as now my navigator will have a route line to follow as I drive instead of a bread crumb trail of waypoints to hit. As Vic points out, it is easy to do on the big screen desktop. The app syncs with the website. You can do it also on the tablet but I've not worked with that yet.

I have all of the West now downloaded on the micro sd card for off line use. We need a trip to see how it does for us in the field.

#29 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 10 December 2023 - 05:33 AM

I've been using Caltopo on the computer in a similar way, and it sure makes driving easier. I find navigating in a car more difficult than bushwacking through the North Cascades. I'll see if this is possible in the field on a handheld device.

Lately I've been drawing the driving routes in the thickest line possible (size 8) and making them 50% transparent. I can see them without reading glasses, and see through them with reading glasses.

You'll need a trip throughout all of California to fully test your new system. It reminds me of "testing" cookies. Yeah, that first one passed the test... better have another to make sure... well, a third would help with statistical sampling... better try a fourth... so far all samples are good, better make sure there's no bad ones... oops, all the cookies are gone!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#30 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,353 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 04:31 PM

I've been using Caltopo on the computer in a similar way, and it sure makes driving easier. I find navigating in a car more difficult than bushwacking through the North Cascades. I'll see if this is possible in the field on a handheld device.

Lately I've been drawing the driving routes in the thickest line possible (size 8) and making them 50% transparent. I can see them without reading glasses, and see through them with reading glasses.

You'll need a trip throughout all of California to fully test your new system. It reminds me of "testing" cookies. Yeah, that first one passed the test... better have another to make sure... well, a third would help with statistical sampling... better try a fourth... so far all samples are good, better make sure there's no bad ones... oops, all the cookies are gone!

I was thinking throwing in Nevada, Utah, and half of Arizona. We'd need a lot, a lot of cookies for that.

And please, please do not bring up the issue with glasses.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users