• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Amag

Amag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 03:51 PM

Here is my solution to the age old compromise of sacrificing center of gravity or rear wheel clearance. 

Been a long time lurker of this form but today I decided to join and show you all my approach to this highly debated topic.

The topic has been discussed at length here and about four years ago I set out to create what I thought was a perfect solution for this problem. So I bought a cheap flux core welder and went about sticking some metal together. 

My goal was to create a flatbed that didn't raise the camper higher than the factory bed, allowed for full wheel articulation and most importantly looked sexy. My first rendition accomplished the first two.

I wanted something with modularity since the camper is not on my truck most of the time. I did not like the idea of the utility bed design like highway products or Bowen (who was not even making their beds when I started this endeavor). I have always loved the Australian UTE trays and wanted mine to look similar. 

The black tray is my first attempt at this design. While it worked and was a great proof of concept, it had its obvious downfalls. Being steel, I had to keep weight in mind which ultimately resulted in the structure bending. I used thinner gauge material than I should have.

So I decided to buy an aluminum welder and make the new and improved version you see below. 

I have patented this design and would like to get it to a point where I can produce and sell them to others at a more reasonable price point that the current market offerings. 

Let me know what you all think! 

gallery_13228_1632_1019066.jpeg

gallery_13228_1632_1051218.jpeg

gallery_13228_1632_614851.jpeg

gallery_13228_1632_1716669.jpg

gallery_13228_1632_595616.jpeg

gallery_13228_1632_1195758.jpeg

#2 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 18 April 2024 - 04:36 PM

love this idea. I really would like a flatbed but some of these custom designs are just over the top expensive.. 

If you can make one for a 8 foot bed F150 HDPP I would be highly interested and be your best marketing tool here in Colorado...

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#3 Amag

Amag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 05:42 PM

Thanks BBZ! It is crazy to think about spending 20-25k on a flatbed for a camper. 

You are also stuck with a bed that really only serves one function. The beauty of our truck campers is that they're easy to put on and take off. I feel like the bed should also have that modularity and function as a pickup when the camper is off. Not hating on Bowen or any of the other manufacturers. They are beautiful beds. 

Currently working on a plate and tailgate (in one of the pictures) that will make it a flat deck in "truck mode" and have a big lockable storage bin underneath. This feature is part of the patent I obtained.

Slowly teaching myself Fusion360 and virtually working on a 3rd prototype to be able to have pieces cnc cut and slot together for final assembly. 

#4 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 18 April 2024 - 06:33 PM

Thanks BBZ! It is crazy to think about spending 20-25k on a flatbed for a camper. 

You are also stuck with a bed that really only serves one function. The beauty of our truck campers is that they're easy to put on and take off. I feel like the bed should also have that modularity and function as a pickup when the camper is off. Not hating on Bowen or any of the other manufacturers. They are beautiful beds. 

Currently working on a plate and tailgate (in one of the pictures) that will make it a flat deck in "truck mode" and have a big lockable storage bin underneath. This feature is part of the patent I obtained.

Slowly teaching myself Fusion360 and virtually working on a 3rd prototype to be able to have pieces cnc cut and slot together for final assembly. 

Nice, quite the endeavor, but I am sure its a fun project as well.. Kepp us posted! (where are you located?)

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:27 PM

I'm interested!!!!

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,331 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:29 PM

Welcome to the cult and good luck with your endeavor.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 Amag

Amag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 04:58 PM

I'm In PA, so a little far from you out in CO!

#8 WesAlan

WesAlan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 11:04 PM

I’m very i retested as I’ve been all over the internet researching flatbed options for my Tundra/2000 Hawk. Located in San Diego. Product looks great!

Edited by WesAlan, 26 April 2024 - 11:09 PM.

#9 Herbie

Herbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 May 2024 - 09:37 PM

This reminds me a lot of the Sherptek beds, which I think have a LOT of potential for 4WCs and the like:

https://sherptek.com/truckbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users