Photo
- - - - -

Best Full Size Truck For Ruff Country Travel (W/ A Pop Up Camper)

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#121 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

that thing looks like a merchandising truck for an energy drink or something.

Course, after I got it entirely caked in mud I'm sure I could suffer through ownership of it :)

#122 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

I was going to chime in, went out and looked at my owners manual on slide in campers, referred me to another document. But, thats when I noticed my 7/70 additional warranty (dodge threw it in for free when I bought the truck) expired last week. :angry:

Don't follow me too close, something is bound to break now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#123 Fish Chaser

Fish Chaser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationLa Mirada, CA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

Real men have longer .......uh beds.

I've had both long and short beds, and other than parking I'd opt for a long bed with the extra cab. I know toyota makes them. Not sure you can get that in a 4x4 though and that's what I opt for. I have the GMC extra cab with 6.5' bed and the truck is still on the long side for a 4x4. I need the extra seating more than I need the extra 1.5' of bed. It all depend what you need from a truck. I thinks it's BS to say a real truck has to have an 8' bed. A real truck should be able to go to war or to work in the snow or mud, that means 4X4. The longer bed limits the places a 4x4 can go, as does my extra cab.
When through the woods and forest glades I thunder, I sometimes scare a few birds from the trees; When I roll down from lofty mountain grandeur, splash through the brook and put dust in the breeze.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

#124 Freelheeler

Freelheeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGardiner, MT

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

and?

#125 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

"Holy habberdash Batman, this is an old thread"

Titan and Tundra <--clicky will both have V8 Cummin's diesel engines soon...  But I figure you already got a new truck.  This could help somebody browsing this ole' thread!

(5.0-liter Cummins diesel V8 engine w/ 300HP & 500lbft torque)

Kilroy

#126 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

I was going to chime in, went out and looked at my owners manual on slide in campers, referred me to another document. But, thats when I noticed my 7/70 additional warranty (dodge threw it in for free when I bought the truck) expired last week. angry.gif

Don't follow me too close, something is bound to break now.

Bumper snicker seen on an MGB:

"The parts falling off this car are of the finest British Manufacture"

Best truck for ruff country travel is still too open, best truck for what specific type of terrain, type of non rough country use, etc., etc., etc. needs to be defined first. And then there won't likely be any one specific clear winner.

For me, currently it is a CTD with the camper and an '84 yota Xcab without. That is subject to change.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#127 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

My turn again I guess. Me the best off road truck I ever had (not counting the rigs I drove when I was in the military)  was my old  Bureau of Land Management 4x4 1980 Dodge Power Wagon, with a stick, a wonderful granny gear and a long bed-to carry spare tires, jerry cans, lots of wood and other  "un stuck" gear ---but again not much fun in city traffic, but  I had to go out in places in the back country most people don't and I could at 1 or 2 mph. Since I could never afford two vehicles,  I had a  personal long bed/w/camper shell  4x4  Toyota for 20 years that got me every where in the back country  I needed to go. Today I have a 1999 4x4 F-150/Granby stick combination with special made rear springs that also does me well.  If I had to buy something new, it would be a long bed F-250 4x4 with a modified 4 wheel package, but any good Chevy or Dodge with the right equipment and the  RIGHT DIVER could also do the job.  Diesel I not sure anymore, today it cost more than regular gas, and with all the new eco-gas trucks, I could go either way.  Hey-what ever rocks your boat "do it!"  Me thinks the driver many times is more important the what is driven-My dads' old 58 Chevy long bed-stick with a good granny gear  or my 1980 VW could go anywhere!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#128 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

My turn again I guess. Me the best off road truck I ever had (not counting the rigs I drove when I was in the military)  was my old  Bureau of Land Management 4x4 1980 Dodge Power Wagon, with a stick, a wonderful granny gear and a long bed-to carry spare tires, jerry cans, lots of wood and other  "un stuck" gear ---but again not much fun in city traffic, but  I had to go out in places in the back country most people don't and I could at 1 or 2 mph. Since I could never afford two vehicles,  I had a  personal long bed/w/camper shell  4x4  Toyota for 20 years that got me every where in the back country  I needed to go. Today I have a 1999 4x4 F-150/Granby stick combination with special made rear springs that also does me well.  If I had to buy something new, it would be a long bed F-250 4x4 with a modified 4 wheel package, but any good Chevy or Dodge with the right equipment and the  RIGHT DIVER could also do the job.  Diesel I not sure anymore, today it cost more than regular gas, and with all the new eco-gas trucks, I could go either way.  Hey-what ever rocks your boat "do it!"  Me thinks the driver many times is more important the what is driven-My dads' old 58 Chevy long bed-stick with a good granny gear  or my 1980 VW could go anywhere!

Smoke

Had a sudden thought-what ever you buy make sure it has a skid plate on it--they don't come stock anymore! When I bought my F 150 I asked the salesman if it had a skid plate and he didn't know, we looked it did not so had to order it special.   I was so used to my government rigs and the Toyota coming stock with them on, i never thought about it-but at the last moment I asked and Am I glad I did-so check because times change!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#129 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

Best depends on what you do and where you go. I am an honest 4 wheeler, only really need it once a year though I use it more often. So I want a truck for the rest of the year to. I have camped on Slick Rock road since 1965 with the Stockton Motorcycle Club. Road has changed a lot over the years, the area called the ladder I do not go on anymore just too rough.  Search on youtube we camp close to the ladder always a good show.  +1 on skid plates and bars or rock sliders.

My Tundra w/camper on Slick Rock road.

The outhouse on the same road.

#130 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

Don't know about best, but I'm pretty happy with my Silverado 3500 HD.  Lots of torque (765 lb-ft)  at low rpm (1,600) and 397 hp has made for a very capable off road vehicle with the Grandby in the back.  The gearing seems right also.  Doesn't take a lot of gas peddle to make it move up and over hills or through washes or softsand making it less likely to break traction.  This last time out I found a jeep trail my wife finally said we had no business on.  ;-)  Told her at least now I know her limits.  The only reason I turned around was because it was too narrow to get through a couple of boulders because of my size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users