36 replies to this topic

#11 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:10 AM

What you the the EXPO was A SHELL MODEL which comes partially prewired.
If you look at the pics above you see a finished one.

I don't know where you get that i use a balsa core????

I only use foam core with unidirectional hand laid fiberglass reinforced with carbon and kevlar.
And NO; i won't give you my lay up schedule....

We had a piece at the show ; we even let people hit it with the hammer.

Sorry Marc, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I'm only asking the questions I'd ask as a prospective purchaser and I was standing right in front of you. If the questions make you uncomfortable then something's wrong.

I said either balsa or foam coring..either can get water in them. I wasn't shown your sample at Expo, nor did I just ask you for your lay-up schedule.

What i asked was, and I'll repeat it, what measure do you take to prevent water entry from any "hull" penetrations??

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#12 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:10 AM

what's the price tag for something like that ?

$$ ??

From $22;000 for a shell to $75;000 for a fully loaded with the latest in RV technology.
It really depends on the you want or need.

#13 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

Sorry Marc, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I'm only asking the questions I'd ask as a prospective purchaser and I was standing right in front of you. If the questions make you uncomfortable then something's wrong.

I said either balsa or foam coring..either can get water in them. I wasn't shown your sample at Expo, nor did I just ask you for your lay-up schedule.

What i asked was, and I'll repeat it, what measure do you take to prevent water entry from any "hull" penetrations??

Hey no feathers ruffled..I don't have any :lol:

Don't take it to serious.

Anyways; to penetrate the camper cabin you really need to hit it pretty hard. If that happens you probably have other issues to deal with.
We hit the hull with a 3 LBS sledge hammer and couldn't get thorough it.
It poked a little hole when using the claw side of the hammer.
Since I use a closed cell foam core; water doesn't penetrate into it.
I hit a tree pretty hard a while back; only scratched the surface and never fixed it to show people how though the cabin actually is.

Once you have actually managed to puncture a hole in the cabin; I'll go to the nearest marina and get it patched up. If worried; you can also carry a little fiberglass kit with you.

Since you are in SAC; shoot me your info ; next time i am up there; which is pretty frequent; you can do the hammer test for yourself...

#14 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:27 AM

Very interesting. I don't think you dr are on the same page here :)
So you have the exterior shell, then some kind of closed cell insulation, then an interior shell? Or what?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#15 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:51 AM

Ok Marc,

I guess my question wasn't too clear.....

I'll try again, If for instance you ran a cable through the roof for a solar panel, how would you seal the cable entry to keep water out.
If a rack was mounted on the roof...how do you seal the bolt holes, etc.

I'm not questioning the strength of the unit or your lay-up, just curious how you seal through "hull" entries...

I'll PM you my phone number and next time through Sacto, I'll buy you coffee and look at your sample...Fair enough??

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#16 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:57 AM

P.M sent...

#17 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

Where is the bath/shower mentioned, its not jumping at me in the pics?

What size is the bed, does it pull out as well?

Nice work.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#18 sjv

sjv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

I hit a tree pretty hard a while back; only scratched the surface and never fixed it to show people how though the cabin actually is.

I helped him get off the tree. His camper was leaning pretty hard against a stub left by a broken branch. Luckily he got off the tree before damaging his window! Only the paint was scratched. It likely would have ripped a hole in most other RV siding. His camper is very well built and quite impressive.

Posted Image

Here's Marc doing his chef thing and slipping KC some scraps.

Posted Image

-steve
2009 Outfitter Apex 9.5 + 2006 Dodge 2500 2WD

#19 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

Where is the bath/shower mentioned, its not jumping at me in the pics?

What size is the bed, does it pull out as well?

Nice work.

Thanks

The bed is Queen size and it doesn't need to slide out.
There are some pretty big storage compartments under the bed ;with each compartment sealed off to the next.
Collapsed the camper is 56" tall

Here is a pic with the shower down

Posted Image

Here with the shower up

Posted Image

#20 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

Ok Marc,

I guess my question wasn't too clear.....

Sorry; I did misunderstood your question.

I'll try again, If for instance you ran a cable through the roof for a solar panel, how would you seal the cable entry to keep water out.
If a rack was mounted on the roof...how do you seal the bolt holes, etc.

I'm not questioning the strength of the unit or your lay-up, just curious how you seal through "hull" entries...

A lot of people are curious as well; let's leave it at that.
All I can say is; that my camper never leaked.
Guess you have to get one to find out :D

I'll PM you my phone number and next time through Sacto, I'll buy you coffee and look at your sample...Fair enough??

Sure be happy to show you the hammer test :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users