Photo
- - - - -

anyone out there had a diesel and off'ed it?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:54 AM

That is exactly why I did not jump to a Diesel when I bought my 1500 Ram 2009 5.7 Hemi gas. Simple--easier and considerably less dollars when purchased. Diesels do have their advantages but I think my Hemi will carry my camper and pull my 19 foot River Hawk (2450 pounds) together . After I buy my first pop up camper (maybe tomorrow), come fishing at East Lake (Central Oregon) and test it out.Posted Image

#22 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:59 AM

Hey my F150 with the Hawk on it, towing my River Hawk boat does just fine. Although I don't win too many races going over Donner Summit !! Sometimes I wish I had a new Super Duty, but for now the F150 will do. I think I will wait for awhile to see how the new Ford Super Duty does with their new engine and trans combo. Looks pretty nice !!

#23 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

That is exactly why I did not jump to a Diesel when I bought my 1500 Ram 2009 5.7 Hemi gas. Simple--easier and considerably less dollars when purchased. Diesels do have their advantages but I think my Hemi will carry my camper and pull my 19 foot River Hawk (2450 pounds) together . After I buy my first pop up camper (maybe tomorrow), come fishing at East Lake (Central Oregon) and test it out.:D

I did love the awesome power of the Cummins. Especially the 05 which was modded and chipped to 445 HP and 880 TQ!!!!

But the gassers do fine within their weight limits. The diesels will beat me to the top of the mtn but I'll pull in beside them, shut my truck off and get out while they are sitting there idling trying to get the EGT's back to 300 degrees so it's safe to shut off without damaging the turbo!!! :P

By not paying for the diesel option = free gas for many years!!! B)
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#24 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

By not paying for the diesel option = free gas for many years!!! B)

True, but buying a Diesel truck that far outlasts the gasser truck means a free TRUCK for many years! :)

It is all about what is important to you, how you are going to use the truck and how long you plan on keeping it.
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#25 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

You missed the fuel filter and keeping an extra in the truck just in case!!! And praying that you don't get a junk load of bad fuel that will destroy that $18,000 dollar engine with NO warranty!!! ;)

Nope, the heaviest I tow will be my doubles of travel trailer and boat at 8000#.

Posted Image
:D :D :D :D :D

The average weight of a 24ft. travel trailer is 4200# so that must be a real heavy boat.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#26 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

When gasoline engines were carbureted, diesel engines out lasted them. However, with fuel injection that conventional comparison is no longer valid. Gasoline engines last plenty long. Three hundred thousand miles without a tear down is common for fuel injected gasoline engines these days.

How many members of this forum have personally put 300,000 miles on a truck? When I see that kind of mileage, I suspect the truck is used in commercial applications, other than as a truck camper. OR, as in my case, I had 450,000 miles on my 1988 truck when I sold it, which comes out to about 20,000 miles per year. When I sold that truck, it had been well maintained and was in excellent condition. It was out of date but not worn out.

I looked at a late model Cummins powered truck to replace my old truck. It was a contractor’s truck with about 90,000 miles. It had been repossessed by Chrysler, probably because the repairs to make it reliable were going to cost the construction company too much. This truck had been “rode hard and put up wet”. Nothing about it was as good as my old truck with nearly half a million miles on it.

The idea that a diesel will last forever is a myth. It really depends …

#27 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

Hey my F150 with the Hawk on it, towing my River Hawk boat does just fine. Although I don't win too many races going over Donner Summit !! Sometimes I wish I had a new Super Duty, but for now the F150 will do. I think I will wait for awhile to see how the new Ford Super Duty does with their new engine and trans combo. Looks pretty nice !!

The 2011 6.7 comes with 735 #'s of torque :o
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#28 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

something i would like to know:

how many fuel injected gas engines actually have per cylinder fuel injection i.e 8 injectors on a v8 ?
i thought port injection was common. i mean, two injectors into an intake manifold is not the same as per-cylinder injection.

fisherman probably knows this?
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#29 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

Most gassers have one injector per intake port, you have to go back quite a ways to find an EFI truck with only one injector per bank (GM TBI and similar). Are you asking about direct injection, i.e. the injector is in the combustion chamber like with the diesel designs?
If the gasser trucks are not yet Direct Injected it is coming soon. Many pass. car gassers are D.I.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#30 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

It takes a “gearhead” to follow all the various fuel injection systems; TBI – Throttle Body Injection, TPI – Tuned Port Injection, GDI – Gasoline Direct Injection, TDI – Turbo Direct Injection (diesel), two stroke direct injection (both gasoline and diesel), and for the sake of tradition, even two stroke Roots blower and turbo diesels such as the infamous GMC 6-71 of WWII fame.

As a confirmed gearhead, I believe the most significant modern era advance in fuel injection is the digital computer receiving constant information about the exhaust gasses and engine status which enable adjusting fuel input accordingly. Slapping a digital computer on a fuel injection system is comparatively inexpensive, flexible, adjustable (chips), and repairable (reliable).

The TBI – Throttle Body Injection gasoline motors are fairly primitive by current standards for electronically controlled engines but they are really excellent engines for off road use because they are relatively simple and offer anyone willing to learn about them the ability to make repairs in remote locals.

As stated above by ntsqd and Herr42, the V8 examples of old TBI engines have only two fuel injectors. About the only thing that ever goes wrong with them is a vacuum leak. It is practical to carry a complete duplicate set of components for these simpler fuel systems in a repair kit. The TBI engines should not be dismissed by off roaders. These engines do a nice job in the low RPM ranges and they last a long time. The famous guy who drove his old Chevy pickup a million miles without an engine teardown had a TBI engine in his truck.

Diesel engines are very different animals from gasoline engines. Basically, diesel engines run by creating explosions in their cylinders whereas gasoline engines create flame fronts in their cylinders as fuel is “burned” and not detonated.

Maybe this is not the place for technical discussions about diesel vs. gasoline engines. Digital computers have enabled gasoline engines to almost catch up with diesels in terms of efficiency. Due to the significant extra cost of diesel engines and diesel fuel in the United States, diesels have lost their advantage at present. If the Big Three is to successfully market half ton light trucks with diesel engines, the cost of diesel fuel MUST come down relative to gasoline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users