36 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

One thing most of our campers don't have is an oven. Some use a dutch oven with good results. I didn't want to go that route due to the amount of space they take up and their weight. So I have been experimenting with the Coleman Camp Oven. I like that it collapses into a small box. oven

Here it is in use:
Posted Image

Mmmmm, fresh cookies in camp. :)
Posted Image

I wish it came with a second shelf, but seems to be working so far.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:31 PM

How much are they?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:47 PM

Looks like a simple niffy outfit for only 40 bucks. Will a big apple pie fit in it?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:52 AM

$40 at Cabela's, but you can find it online for less than $30.

If your idea of a big apple pie is less than 10" in diameter, than you are good to go. The shelf is about 10"x10", but the door opening is slightly smaller, about 9 and 3/4". I bought small pans to fit it so can only do small amounts at a time. That is why I would like an extra shelf, two trays at a time.

Also tried brownies but burned the bottom. Will have to work on that. Looking forward to warm cornbread with chili during winter camping.

#5 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:24 AM

$28.83 on Amazon with free shipping...Heck of a deal. Ted, thanks for
bringing this to our attention.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

Entertaining.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#7 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

$40 at Cabela's, but you can find it online for less than $30.

If your idea of a big apple pie is less than 10" in diameter, than you are good to go. The shelf is about 10"x10", but the door opening is slightly smaller, about 9 and 3/4". I bought small pans to fit it so can only do small amounts at a time. That is why I would like an extra shelf, two trays at a time.

Also tried brownies but burned the bottom. Will have to work on that. Looking forward to warm cornbread with chili during winter camping.

What about rigging a "deflector" out of an old cookie sheet or somethin' that you could attach to those "cutouts" on the sides that allow you to move the rack.
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#8 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

Hey Ted,

I'm not sure I'd want to bake cookies inside my camper in bear country. Have you tried using it on a camp stove outdoors in a breeze? Are the walls insulated enough to give an even temperature in those conditions? Thanks for posting about this gadget.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

Highz,

We camp about two dozen times a year and always cook something inside or outside, whether it is cookies, salmon, bacon, or whatever, even in bear country. I can count on one hand how many times I have seen bears in camp. The only time they have been after food was at a campground in Lake Tahoe. Even then some yelling and banging pans together sends them running. I think two people have been killed by bears this year. While this is traumatic for the families and gets big press, an average of 35,000 people are killed in car accidents in the U.S. each year. It isn't the bears you need to worry about, it is the drive to the campground.

I have not tried it outdoors yet (still waiting for DD to award me a Partner Stove ;) ) As to its insulation, there is none and the heat distribution is poor. I am considering cutting a thin fire brick or pizza stone to fit on the bottom and see if that helps.

#10 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

I was actually hoping more people would post on this thread some of their favorite cooking gear so others can get ideas from them. Along those lines, I have one more I'd like to show. This is the barbeque we use. I like how narrow it folds up, taking very little storage space. I store it between the bed cushions when on the road.
In the carrying case:
Posted Image

Out of the case:
Posted Image

Set up:
Posted Image

And grilling:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users