Cooking gear

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#11 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:56 PM

Magellan where did you get this - or is it home made? I like it.

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:29 AM

We looked at one of those "Notebook BBQ's". My fiance's response was lukewarm enough, and the one that I saw at OSH was flimsy enough that we haven't purchased one. So I'm curious how you like it and how it is holding up to transport and use.

The DO's are heavy, but I'm impressed with how few briquettes they need to cook a whole meal.

As far as a cooking item not yet mentioned, Jet-Boil. They're around $100, but they will make you fresh coffee faster than anything I've ever seen. No propane stove, of any sort that I've ever seen, is as fast.

Posted Image
Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:48 PM

Magellan where did you get this - or is it home made? I like it.

Afraid I can't be much help Hittheroad. My Father bought it somewhere, never used it, and then gave it to me. I've looked online but the only ones I have seen are in Europe. The price is ok but the shipping triples the price! :o
Not familiar with the ones at OSH ntsqd is referring to. You may want to check there.

Ntsqd, the metal is thin and I have only used it maybe a half dozen times so far. It seems to be holding up well with no signs of rust or other problems. What is a DO? This bbq isn't as efficient. You can see I have at least two dozen briquettes in it in the photo of it being used. The bbq this replaced was much more efficient but it took up more space even though it was smaller. We could barely fit two chicken breasts on it.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#14 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

is this it?

http://www.portable-...pexd.asp?id=150

or this http://www.sears.com...05_07116317000P
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#15 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

Herr,

Both of those look like it to me. $20 bucks at Sears! Nice.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#16 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

Sorry, DO = Dutch Oven. My fiance' might have 2 dozen briquettes, at most, in rotation, but unless she's cooking with all three DO's stacked one on top of the other I'll guess that she rarely has more than 10-15 in use at any one time.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#17 sdmarkus

sdmarkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

I was actually hoping more people would post on this thread some of their favorite cooking gear so others can get ideas from them.

Behold the Weber Q100, by far one of the finest BBQ's I have ever owned. While not the most compact unit, I will always make room and never leave home without it.

Posted Image

Now that I have my camper, the Camp Chef stove is not as much of a necessity but still great when cooking for large groups. Fairly large piece of cooking equipment, but this thing puts out some serious BTU's!

Posted Image

Posted Image

And of course the DO...apparently I've got a lot of really heavy stuff :blink:

Posted Image

#18 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:33 AM

I was doing some research on the Thermette and Kelly Kettle for boiling water in camp with found-fuel (twigs etc) and wondered if there was something available that could be used in camp with wood utilizing similar chimney style tech for keeping wood fire sheltered and able to cook food in wet weather... and i found this little gem called the "Shabu Shabu Hot Pot" :
Posted Image Posted Image

They are utilized in communal style meals in japan cooking at the eating table with a small flame-stove under. I ordered one up and look forward to cooking and experimenting in camp next spring.

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#19 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:26 PM

I have used one of these for a lot of years.The cooking pot should come with a base that holds charcoal.It only takes 5 or 6 briquets to cook a meal.They work great although i don't use it camping.There isn't any reason for it not to be a good cooking tool as long as you use it outside.You can use any type of broth (beef,fish, veggie).You start the briquets in a small pile than drop them down the tube, fill with broth first. Heated if possible,than all the food to be cooked, the longest cooking items first.It takes a few tries at timing the meal.Good luck,enjoy the food.Mine is made of steel and inexpensive ,you may see copper ones but they are to costly.You could use coals from you camp fire also,all you need is good intense heat.

Frank

Attached Files

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#20 john101477

john101477

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationVina, Ca.

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

Behold the Weber Q100, by far one of the finest BBQ's I have ever owned. While not the most compact unit, I will always make room and never leave home without it.

Posted Image

Now that I have my camper, the Camp Chef stove is not as much of a necessity but still great when cooking for large groups. Fairly large piece of cooking equipment, but this thing puts out some serious BTU's!

Posted Image

Posted Image

And of course the DO...apparently I've got a lot of really heavy stuff :blink:

Posted Image

with out a doubt the webber is a must have. My dad has used the same one you have for 3-4 years now maybe longer. bulky yes - perfect BBQ - yes. We have a large 2 and 3 burner like your campchef that used to get used a lot. now we have down sized to a couple of coleman deals my dad found.
The jet boil is awesome. I use it on 4x4 trips and to make my coffee when camping with my wife and daughter.
86 4runner Northern Cal Images northerncalimages.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users