36 replies to this topic

#21 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:49 PM

I just saw this in a Macy's ad.Last year I picked up a set for the camper.What I was cooking on was crap.IMO this set makes for some useable cooking gear and the price is great.They store nicely under the sink and lids fit behind the sink and stove on a rack.They would be great if you need a new set at home.

FrankAttached File  DSCN3402.jpg   99.04K   29 downloads

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#22 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

Reviving this old thread with a question:
Has/does anyone here use(d) a pressure cooker while camping?

I just got one for the first time -- a small one -- 4qt, since I usually just cook for myself. I got it for home use.
Posted Image

But the key feature of a pressure cooker -- faster cooking -- sounds like a quality desirable in camping, too: use less fuel.
This would be especially desirable, I'd think, when camping at high altitudes where the boiling point is significantly reduced and cooking times are longer (when cooking something water-wet).

I guess you'd have to weigh the likelihood of using it (you'd have to think what foods you'd use it for) against the "cost" of carrying another kitchen item -- a large-ish one, at that. In my case I think that this 4-qt pressure cooker will nest around the 3-qt pot that I already carry and still fit in the cabinet...or maybe replace the 3-qt.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#23 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

[quote name='sdmarkus' date='16 September 2010 - 01:35 PM' timestamp='1284672936' post='40436']
Behold the Weber Q100, by far one of the finest BBQ's I have ever owned. While not the most compact unit, I will always make room and never leave home without it.

Posted Image

X2 :)
We've got the Q120 with fold out shelves. It fits underneath the Hawk bench, just barely. It goes on every trip. Love the instant piezo ignition. Snap, cook, eat!

In addition I carry a #7 Griswold cast iron pan. I bought it on Ebay because my #8 was too big and the #7 is the size of a standard issue tortilla. While I was at it I found a #6 and #5. I became a collector of cast iron. I also use a 'comal' (flat circular tortilla cast iron pan) that lives on my gas stove at home.

Nesting inside the #7 pan, we carry a 3 qt. pot for pasta, etc. and a colander. Sometimes I bring one of the smaller pans for sauces, etc. And, not to forget, Susan's parent's 1950's percolator for the all-essential morning coffee. :D

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#24 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

I just got one for the first time -- a small one -- 4qt, since I usually just cook for myself.

Not really camping-related, but:
Somebody asked me if this pressure cooker works on an induction cooktop.
Yes, this stainless steel one does work with induction.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#25 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

That Weber reminded me about that old habachi i carry around with me under the couch-it's real old and greasy,.:lol:but small, and with a little charcoal can cook just about anything-and keep me warm too-also have an old lodge 10" skillet with cover; it's to big for the camper stove, but great for any outside work on the habachi , fire, coleman stove, BBQ grill or buried in the coals-and I've never dumped my old back packer stuff:o, still use it all the time!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#26 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

I use an Olympian Grill with a quick disconnect to my Hawks main propane tank.

Attached File  Olymian 5500 Grill 1 - DSC_00160001.JPG   57.41K   22 downloads

Attached File  Olymian 5500 Grill 2- DSC_00150001.JPG   178.23K   23 downloads

Attached File  Baby Back Ribs with Asparagus - DSC_15060001.JPG   107.1K   18 downloads

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#27 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

Reviving this old thread with a question:

I just got one for the first time -- a small one -- 4qt, since I usually just cook for myself. I got it for home use.
Posted Image

But the key feature of a pressure cooker -- faster cooking -- sounds like a quality desirable in camping, too: use less fuel.
This would be especially desirable, I'd think, when camping at high altitudes where the boiling point is significantly reduced and cooking times are longer (when cooking something water-wet).

I guess you'd have to weigh the likelihood of using it (you'd have to think what foods you'd use it for) against the "cost" of carrying another kitchen item -- a large-ish one, at that. In my case I think that this 4-qt pressure cooker will nest around the 3-qt pot that I already carry and still fit in the cabinet...or maybe replace the 3-qt.

Use it carefully. That is, never open it to look inside and see how your meal is progressing until the pressure inside the cooker is down to atmospheric pressure.

I was taught that opening a pressure cooker (or even removing the thimble which helps to relieve pressure in a controlled manner), while it is under pressure, was likely to create a Phreatic Explosion. The pressure which can be built up inside a pressure cooker is the reason that pressure cookers have such strong components to lock the top and bottom together.

I looked for a link to describe a phreatic explosion, but I didn't find one which describes it well in relation to a pressure cooker. I'll be glad to write a small thesis on the subject (3-4 paragraphs) if you wish.Posted Image Posted Image

#28 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Use it carefully. That is, never open it to look inside and see how your meal is progressing until the pressure inside the cooker is down to atmospheric pressure.

I was taught that opening a pressure cooker (or even removing the thimble which helps to relieve pressure in a controlled manner), while it is under pressure, was likely to create a Phreatic Explosion. The pressure which can be built up inside a pressure cooker is the reason that pressure cookers have such strong components to lock the top and bottom together.

I looked for a link to describe a phreatic explosion, but I didn't find one which describes it well in relation to a pressure cooker. I'll be glad to write a small thesis on the subject (3-4 paragraphs) if you wish.Posted Image Posted Image

Who's gonna take advice from this guy? I mean look at him -- he's just another talking dog in a cool hat...

Posted Image

#29 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Who's gonna take advice from this guy? I mean look at him -- he's just another talking dog in a cool hat...

When you say it like that is sounds just weird. At least this dog looks good in hats.Posted Image

#30 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

When you say it like that is sounds just weird. At least this dog looks good in hats.Posted Image

OK, I'll give you that... You're a cool dog in a cool hat. I still don't trust your advice, 'cause you got a tail. Just sayin'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users