Roof Racks

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

who's got one? how do you like it? what about the roof vent? what was the install like? do you take gear off when you pop up (i know the roof holds at least 1000 lbs)? pics? i am considering a thule with a rocket box and 4 ski holder...anybody got .02 to throw in! cheers!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#2 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hi Erod,

What ever you put up there you have to push up to pop up. I put a rack on my old camper and a Thule rack and box. There was not much weight in the box, but it still made it hard to pop up. There are people with canoes and such that take them down and then pop up.

How strong do you feel???

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#3 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

feel great! the camper is so easy to lift right now i think another 100 lbs wouldn't be too bad. where did you get the rack, how did you put it on? still have it? any pics? i think i would store clothes and gear up there mostly, stuff thats not too heavy and that we don't use all the time but still need to bring along.

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#4 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:32 PM

Two buddies have built racks out of Alluminum recently. both copied the rack that was on my old fleet. I'm getting ready to build one on my Ranger in the next couple of weeks..
I will go and shoot a couple of photos of the racks today. They are very functional and heavy duty. Iwas torn between a thule set up and building the whole alluminum deal. I think the versatility of the full rack set up will suit my needs better..Kayak, surfboards, gear box and 5 gallons of fuel, (and sometimes the old lady)...

PV, did you get a new camper??? is the kestrel yours?? It looks by your avatar that you have stepped up...

#5 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

sweet, thanks tomas, love to check out some pics! same camper, 93' ranger II, maybe the angle of the photo. i don't have a welder or the skills to make my own rack unfortunately but would still love to check them out! thanks again

#6 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

don't need a welder, some skills are good though..a chop saw with a metal blade on it and some caulk, couple of screws....If I can do it...oops better not jinx myself til mine is done....

#7 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

I've had the factory square tube rack on both of the campers I've owned. The are very handy. I've hauled lumber, mattresses, a canoe and now mostly folding chairs. I highly recommend a rack if you are ordering a camper.

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:11 PM

Hi Tomas,

I own the FWC Ranger on my '83 Toyota. The FWC Kestrel is a friend of mine that I took delivery of and did some work on it. They came last weekend and took it away.

The roof rack...I took aluminun spacers and screwed into the truss on the roof. The cross bars were mounted to the spacers. There was just enought room to put the box bracket around the bar and clear the roof. The new Ranger I decided not to put anything up on the roof.

I too just put extra cloths and spare backpacks up there but was hard to pop up.

You could put some weight up there and strap it down (so it does not slide off) and try poping it up to get a feel for it

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

sorry pv, i miss read tomas's last post...thanks for the advice all...keep it comin! anyone know how thick the roof trusses are so i don't mistakenly drill throught the roof if i mount one myself!

#10 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

EROD,

I know your going with the thule system, but here are some shots of the home made alluminum racks I was talking about..I bought my materials and will be throwing one on my new Ranger in the next couple of days. I will be re-thinking the basket portion on mine..fyi

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1744.JPG
  • DSCN1745.JPG
  • DSCN1746.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users