38 replies to this topic

#21 DesertDon

DesertDon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:46 AM

This is the gonzo method to lift the roof but it does work. I saw this done on an outing and I have done it at home but not in the field.

I'm planning on carrying a canoe on some trips. The weighs about 75 lbs and I cannot lift the roof with that kind of weight on it. I have the canoe strapped to the FWC roof rack.

It is possible to lift the roof using one of the camper jacks pushing against the hand lift board on the roof. I lift one end then the other in the same fashion as a normal roof lift. Hand cranking is slow. A battery drill helps a lot.

This method is slow and clumsy but it can be done. I anybody knows of a better lift assist, let me know. I would sure like to check it out.

#22 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:52 AM

I believe that the 54" and 66" that you refer to are the lengths of the bars not the tracks. I know the tracks come in 48" and 60" lengths. If you look at your roof, there are two lines of screws in about 10" or so from each outside edge. If you measure the distance between these, this should determine the length of bars that you should have. I know that on our campers right now the 66" bars work great. The screw lines are where you would mount the rails for your towers to slide in. In turn the towers hold the bars.

As to a new lift system, I don't know about FWC but we have no plans on changing it at this time. The main reason is the simplicity of it and with care the panels will last a lifetime. The one lift system on the market that seems to work well and not break down is the one that Alaskan uses for their campers. It works off of hydraulics and would add a bit more weight to the camper.

It's a give and take with the campers. Everyone wants a light weight camper that chooses FWC or ATC. Everyone enjoys the life span of the campers and high resale value of them. Part of the give on having all that is that there are limits to what you can and can't do with the camper. When I sell a camper to a customer I try to point out what these limits are so that they are not disappointed down the road. One of those limits is what you can put on the roof and what you can't and the procedure of having to remove most anything you do put on it. The camper was not designed to carry a lot of weight on the roof and be popped up with it up there.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#23 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:55 AM

If you go back through the threads on the board, one fellow came up with a great system out of PVC and a small air pump. Seems like it was about 3 or 4 months ago if I remember right.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#24 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:03 AM

I was the one that built the pneumatic lift cylinder out of PVC. So far it's worked great. I haven't tried it yet with a load on the roof but it should lift 300 to 350 lbs. The only downside is that you need a compressed air source. I already had that on board for airing up the Jeep tires.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#25 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:36 AM

Camelracer,

I remember your invention and just went back and re-read the old post. I think I am interested in building something like that. Care to share the construction details, or are you waiting for a patent?;)

#26 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:05 PM

ben sorry to be confusing...i was referring to the lengths of the tracks...http://www.yakima.co...171...lookslike 42, 54 and 60". i understand the difference between these, however is there any issue on the FWC using the 54 vs. the 60, would the 54's be to short to properly distribute the weight? i would definately go with the 66" bars, found the whole system here in town for less than $200, then just need to finad a box! thanks again for all your insight.

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#27 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:16 PM

Erod,

The 54" will work fine. We have installed all sizes from the small up to two 60" tracks together for 120" total.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

#28 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

right on ben, the confirmation i was looking for...ordered the tower, landing pads and bars today! should be here and ready to go in less than a week! i am stoked...thanks again and i will let everyone know how it goes. cheers!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#29 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:59 AM

Sam,

If you have any specific questions about my PVC lift system why don't you email me and I'll be glad to answer. I don't want to bore everybody with stuff covered in the previous post.

Dick
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#30 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:44 AM

guess i missed this thread...how bout' a link?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users