Roof Racks

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#11 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:05 AM

cool, thanks for the pics tomas. i think i am going yakima, i like the round bars vs. thule's square bars. very sharp rack though, looking forward to seeing your modifications. cheers!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#12 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:25 AM

Here you can see the yakima tracks and one cross bar on the camper roof. I said it before and I'll say it again: don't waste your time putting anything heavy on the roof of the camper, you will have to remove it EVERY time you pop the roof up or down.
Posted Image
Cheers
Mark

#13 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:05 PM

thanks mark...i appreciate the advice...so what do you put on the roof rack? clothes? ot just suff you take down everytime you "pop up". trying to figure out if its worth $200. thanks again for the reply and picture!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#14 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

couple questions...why go with the 60+" tracks? will the 54" be adequate? i got em' for free so i would be stoked to use em'. what about the roof vent? issues there with opening, amt. of airflow etc. whats a rough weight max, i mean, i know the roof holds 1000lbs but could you keep a hilift and skis and maybe a tow strap in a rocket box on the roof and still lift it. any worries on the support once popped, could to much weight damage the lifting mechanism (duh). lastly, is it worth it...those that have it, are you glad you have the option or could you do without it? oh yea, how do you access your rack? one more, mpg, do you see a big difference, anyone use a fairing? what size? ok i'm done:) , thanks all!

#15 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

bumpin' this since i haven't heard from anyone:D !

#16 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

thanks mark...i appreciate the advice...so what do you put on the roof rack? clothes? ot just suff you take down everytime you "pop up". trying to figure out if its worth $200. thanks again for the reply and picture!

Good question, I ended up not using the roof rack on the camper for anything. I left the 0ne Yakima bar on (see previous pic) to act as a brush guard to protect the roof vents and solar panel (not installed in pic).
I had originally planned to mount a Yakima load warrior basket with shovel and spare tire on the camper roof. Once I had installed it all I could not lift the roof an inchl! Even after removing the spare tire it was almost impossible to lift the roof with just 3 yakima bars, the empty basket and a shovel. I quickly realized that there was no way to carry anything in the basket, so went to plan "B" (the rack shown in front of the camper). We loaded this rack with 3 Pelican cases full of clothes and an Action Packer full of spare parts, plus the spare tire and shovel. Bear in mind that this is a Hawk with extended bed, smaller camper roofs would perhaps be able to be lifted with a little more weight on top.

My advice is: Try putting some weight on your roof (protect the roof with a piece of thin plywood or styrofoam) and try to lift it, before you invest any money in a roof rack.

Cheers
Mark

#17 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

right on, thanks mark...i will give that a try before i decide whether or not to buy the rack. i would like to put skis/snowboards up there as well as gear that we don't use all the time...but the weight would build up fast i am sure. awsome rig btw! cheers

#18 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

Most of what you put on the roof, plan on taking off when you want to lift it. I have lifted a roof with a 15' sea kayak on top of it. The weight was distributed obviously but it was hard to lift. I have had a lot of customers in the past that carry a pod on a set of yakima's and they empty the pod before lifting the roof.

We put an 85 watt solar panel on a camper recently and you could tell it was up there when you went to lift the roof.

Lifting the roof with weight on it all depends on your own strength and how the weight is distributed on the roof. The roof will hold just about anything you put on it, it's really a matter of how much can you push up without killing yourself in the process.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#19 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

thanks ben...eventually i would like to add a solar panel as well...not really that fond of the idea of taking everything off everytime i pop the camper. i would rather have this gear outta site outta mind. guess i'll think it over a bit more...thanks again for the reply...oh yea, any thoughts on the 54" vs. the 66" rails?

#20 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:23 PM

Ben or Stan,

Any plans to come up with a better roof lifting system. With all this talk about wanting to use a roof rack but not being able to lift the roof it sure seems like your customers could use a better set up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users