55 replies to this topic

#41 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

Ok, forgive my ignorance....
Where does one find wheel studs and are they different for different trucks? Lug nuts are probably easy. Is there a standard size for the studs/bolts for the lug nuts or are they all different. Seems so simple but could be so complex.

dave

They make about 1000 different wheel studs and about 10 different lug nuts. You can get any stud you need at your local auto parts store. OR just buy bolts that have the same thread size/count as your wheel studs and use the lug nuts on them.

Say for example you have a new'ish F150 you'd need 14mm studs - so any 14mm stud or fine thread bolt would do the job.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#42 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

Ok, forgive my ignorance....
Where does one find wheel studs and are they different for different trucks? Lug nuts are probably easy. Is there a standard size for the studs/bolts for the lug nuts or are they all different. Seems so simple but could be so complex.

dave

Nuts depend on the thread size, type of wheel and can be confusing. Best thing is to take your existing nut into a good parts store and match up. Also, they should be able to look up the lugs for your specific vehicle.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#43 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

Posted Image

(Source: RV.net Truck Camper forum)

I had never thought to do such a thing is this; still, I like the idea of two spare tires. Great thread.

#44 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

I had this set up on one of my previous campers.
Posted Image
It was an aluminum bumper with rear storage; a fold down step and storage for a 2nd spare and 2 fuel/water cans

#45 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

So, even though I started this thread about how to carry a second spare...I ended up believing/trusting the tire-plug-repair-promoters and decided to not carry a second spare anymore and instead have gotten a Safety-Seal kit.
If at some point I decide that a (second) belt-and-suspenders are needed I'll consider a front-mount for another spare.

Thanks, guys.

(and I still think those plugs look just like Slim Jims Posted Image)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#46 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:10 AM

One last thing from me on this subject:
If I'm going to rely on tire-repair plugs as back-up to my primary spare tire then I need a 12v air-compressor that I can also rely on.
So I got a SuperFlow MV50 -- $60 from Amazon and free shipping.
I already had a lightweight (kinda wimpy) Black & Decker AC/DC compressor, but the cord is short, the hose is short, and I don't know if I can trust it. I've used it to inflate my car tires in the garage, but I've never used it to inflate my Load Range E truck tires up to full highway pressure, and I've never tried it on DC at all.
There are so many positive reviews on the MV50 (or it's secret twin, the MF-1050) all over the Web that I figured it would be a good choice. Who knows -- maybe I'll even try airing down when on rough roads...

#47 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:03 AM

There are so many positive reviews on the MV50 (or it's secret twin, the MF-1050) all over the Web that I figured it would be a good choice.

I don't think you will regret your choice at all. For the price it's hard to beat.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#48 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:47 AM

One last thing from me on this subject:
If I'm going to rely on tire-repair plugs as back-up to my primary spare tire then I need a 12v air-compressor that I can also rely on.
So I got a SuperFlow MV50 -- $60 from Amazon and free shipping.
I already had a lightweight (kinda wimpy) Black & Decker AC/DC compressor, but the cord is short, the hose is short, and I don't know if I can trust it. I've used it to inflate my car tires in the garage, but I've never used it to inflate my Load Range E truck tires up to full highway pressure, and I've never tried it on DC at all.
There are so many positive reviews on the MV50 (or it's secret twin, the MF-1050) all over the Web that I figured it would be a good choice. Who knows -- maybe I'll even try airing down when on rough roads...

My MV50 never failed me when airing up all 4 tires (LT285/70R17) tires from 20 psi to 35 psi while running on DC power with the engine running. They are stout units which connect directly to the battery with "clips" that many jumper cable manufacturers would be be proud of. You can't go wrong with one of them.

#49 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:56 AM

Agreed...I have used that compressor in 105F and aired up all four and it never failed.....It got pretty dam hot but it never failed. The first time I did that I remember grabbing the quick connect on the compressor end when I was done to bleed the air and Sh.....t it left a brand on my thumb and pointer finger......I have since learned to use a glove or what not when it is hot out....but again it has never failed

Cort

PS

It might have been the beer per tire rate of inflation that caused me to be so quick to grab the disconnect after being in use for so long in high heat :rolleyes:

#50 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:57 AM

My MV50 never failed me when airing up all 4 tires (LT285/70R17) tires from 20 psi to 35 psi while running on DC power with the engine running.

Ever go higher than 35psi with the MV50? Is that your standard highway/pavement pressure? My tires are at about 60psi. Posted Image

Agreed...I have used that compressor in 105F and aired up all four and it never failed.....It got pretty dam hot but it never failed. The first time I did that I remember grabbing the quick connect on the compressor end when I was done to bleed the air and Sh.....t it left a brand on my thumb and pointer finger......I have since learned to use a glove or what not when it is hot out....but again it has never failed
Cort

I read a rigorous/quantitative review that compared several different brands/models, and even though the MV50 (or MF-1050) got very hot (they actually measured the temperature) it's performance put it high in the ratings...and the heat wasn't a problem as long as it's not touched by skin Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users