• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

Well for those of you who aided in my trip planning I'm happy to say we are on day 5 and find ourselves in Sioux Falls, SD. Truck has been handling the excess weight quite well, doing about 12-14mpg. I can feel the weight of the trailer and wish it wasn't there sometimes! Especially for boon docking. But hey - we're going to yank the motorcycle out this afternoon and ride through the grasslands park west of here. Will be at Mt Rushmore etc soon. The trip for me really starts in western SD when the landscape starts to be all new to me.

Pics soon, be patient! Not a lot of Internet on the road and I can't use my 3G its crazy expensive while roaming. If you see us around be sure to wave.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#2 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

Oh yea, as always were blogging away when we can and our SPOT is tracking us at http://gormleygreen.blogspot.com/

#3 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

Oh yea, as always were blogging away when we can and our SPOT is tracking us at http://gormleygreen.blogspot.com/

Sounds great. There is a back country campsite at Badlands that is interesting and I recently stayed at a FS campsite in Spearfish Canyon. Hope you get to Devil's Tower. Mt Rushmore is cool but crowded.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#4 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

This will be neat to follow.
Nice Blog.
Thanks for the extra details from the Spot device.
Love the real time nature of that.
Makes it like we're right there with you.
Looks like on mid-day Saturday (as I'm writing this) you were trying to find Falls Park in Sioux Falls, and got there.
And, now you're headed back up to Hwy 90 westbound, very neat, but, I've got honey-do's to complete, so keep on trucking.

#5 wi_hawk

wi_hawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGB, WI

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

Hope you enjoyed your stay in WI, Cheese Curds in WI? That sorta makes you a CHEESE HEAD. By the way did you buy a Cheese Head cap?
Enjoy the trip and will be watching the blogs.

Tom

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

This will be fun to watch, thanks for the link and sharing your adventure. Travel safe!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Glad you are all enjoying it. I know our families and friends enjoy the SPOT thing as well - everyone says its just like they're with us!

Did Badlands National Park today, which I just couldn't get enough of. Amazing scenery. Definitely not in Toronto anymore! Staying at a KOA tonight in Rapid City as we're in need of laundry at the moment and it's a good jumping off spot for some motorcycle riding we're going to do this aft and tomorrow (Mt Rushmore). Still lots more exploring to do here in Western SD - beautiful place (not so much Rapid City, but we'll manage...). I wish we'd boondocked or something in The Badlands but we were running low on ice and the beer isn't just warm - it's f#$%#$% hot!! Not to mention the meat....

Photos will be coming soon, it's just too hot to be playing around with cameras and cords and such right now. Almost 30 deg C in the camper right now, I've never used this thing without the heater on until yesterday - so new issues will present themselves!

Thanks for reading and for the comments. Hope to see some of you on the road as we begin to wander the real west.

Mike

#8 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:20 AM

Here's a few shots so far. Still trying to work out putting photos on the blog, on Facebook, and on here! New to Smugmug as well. Lots of work, very little internet!

Cheers.

Posted Image
Tahquamenon Falls, MI

Posted Image
Sioux Falls, SD

Posted Image
Morning cleanup closeup

Posted Image
Fort Pierre National Grassland, SD

Posted Image
I90 travel...

Posted Image
Yours truly, after a quick stop at a Western clothing store :P

Posted Image
Badlands Nation Park, SD

Posted Image
More Badlands

#9 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

When you cross the Washington or Oregon mountian passes, those bugs on the camper front will be washed off as you cross to the "Wet Side".

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#10 wi_hawk

wi_hawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGB, WI

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

Oh so close, should have made the run to Sturgis just to say you have been their. It all happens in Aug.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users