57 replies to this topic

#21 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

Anyways, the things you learn on the road. Oregon has been great, did a nice scenic drive and then realized - OREGON HAS A COAST. So we hightailed it to the Pacific and dipped our toes and camped right near the beach, two nights in a row. In incredibly heavy rain.

Has anyone else spent sleepless nights in a FWC because of heavy rain? The roof is LOUD! I mean, tin roofs are romantic but this was ridiculous. Like drums.

With a little more time in the Pacific NW and bit more practice bedding down in the rain, it will soon start putting you right to sleep. :rolleyes:

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#22 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:55 PM

Has anyone else spent sleepless nights in a FWC because of heavy rain? The roof is LOUD! I mean, tin roofs are romantic but this was ridiculous. Like drums.

Try some hail and 50 mph+ winds :lol:

Kind of like being in a Cessna in heavy rain :(

Funny I did the same "let's go up this closed road" thing. It wasn't closed just posted as no winter maintenance. When it started getting ugly I bailed and had to park the trailer at 90 degrees, disconnect, turn around, reconnect :lol: Not a great turning radius.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#23 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:22 AM

:lol: Not a great turning radius.

Pulling a trailer is brutal. Kind of ruins the purpose of the FWC! So many dirt roads and everytime I look at one I wonder if I'll be able to turn around...then I continue driving on the blacktop :( My girlfriend is *slightly* afraid of getting stuck somewhere, and since we're 24/7 in the truck/camper I try not to push my luck too much.

I might as well be driving a Winnebago!!

Can't wait for the next long trip without towing.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#24 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:49 AM

And a few stats so far, courtesy of Road Trip for iPad. Sorry for the mix of km and mi, we use km because that's what my odometer reads, but switched our fuel cons to mi when we crossed the border. Prices are in $USD.

Total 8,304.2km (at last fuel up)
Avg. 377.5km/day

Avg. $82.69/day
$0.205/km
$4.207/gal
694.8km/tank

Averaging 12.57mpg

#25 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:43 AM

I bought gas in Faro, Yukon today...6.82 a gallon...

robbie

#26 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:15 AM

Epic journey GG, looking forward to the next installment(s)!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#27 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Alright, a couple of photos...

Posted Image
Mammoth Hot Springs

Posted Image
Idaho

Posted Image
Yankee Fork Rd., Idaho - GO HERE!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Custer Ghost Town, Idaho

Posted Image
Oregon Coast

Posted Image
Nice and very quiet USFS campsite in Oregon

Posted Image
My leveling block

#28 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:18 AM

Tin roofs and rain. My house has a fancy aluminum, warranted for 50 years. 50 years of rain pinging off the roof as well! You get used to it mostly over time. Some people play recordings of that sounds to relax with, along with beach waves and aviary noises.

My solution is either a Zune play on random with some good in-ear buds, or when on my motorcycle event runs with random travel buddies, whom most snore severely, I wear my 30db rated attenuation soft foam ear plugs, the same I use daily under my helmet when riding. Also helps you sleep better while the bears are ravaging the campsite at night :-)

Happy travels. I will be in Hood River next weekend for a motorcycle event out of Odell (Hood River Fairgrounds).

- Mike

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#29 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:37 AM

Quick iPad update. We're in Whitehorse, YT. Tried to take the Cassiar highway up here but it was closed due to a forest fire. So we headed east a bit and have taken the Alaska highway since Fort St John. Nice driving, spent a nice night at Liard Hot Springs last night - one of my favourite spots. Hope to be in Girdwood, AK by Wednesday latest. We're not doing too many miles each day now as we've been driving for over a month every day! Loving the trip, truck and camper are performing flawlessly.

FWC sightings are on the rise on the Alaska highway. I'm waving at all of them, so if you see us I hope you'll say hi here if we don't meet in person!

#30 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:52 AM

Oh yea, we've got about 13,000km on the tripmeter so far. Seem to be averaging just under 12mpg these days. Been playing with different pressures in my airbags and have my tires at 70psi now (rear anyways). The alcan is bumpy road with this load! I hate pulling a trailer everyday for a month. Live and learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users