• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#11 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

Oh so close, should have made the run to Sturgis just to say you have been their. It all happens in Aug.

We'll be going through there tomorrow probably. After some moto touring around the Mt Rushmore area. Beautiful roads for riding.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#12 LT Traveler

LT Traveler

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

Awesome trip GG, how long are you two going to be on the road? Started reading the blog but had to get back to work. Great stuff, looking forward to following your adventure.
2004 Nissan Titan w/ 2011 FWC Hawk

#13 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

Thanks LT. Should be on the road into July/August, no set date as of yet. No where to go after this as we need to find living arrangements in BC before we get our stuff shipped out from Toronto.

Just got back from an amazing motorcycle ride on the Needles Highway, absolutely perfect road! Crazy views and the geology was awesome. Looks like its going to rain so we're laying low for a bit here in the camper. Hoping it stays clear so we can ride up to Rushmore again tonight for the light show.

Mike

#14 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

Black Hills seem to fly under the radar sometimes, great riding, and rock climbing. Are you heading to Devils Tower? Much more interesting that Sturgis :lol:
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#15 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:53 AM

Black Hills seem to fly under the radar sometimes, great riding, and rock climbing. Are you heading to Devils Tower? Much more interesting that Sturgis :lol:

Yep we're planning on heading there tomorrow for the aft and night. Then heading to Yellowstone for a while.

#16 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:00 AM

OK, have been offline for a while, though if you've been watching the blog you know we've been putting on miles!

Waited 3 days outside Cody, WY for the east gate of Yellowstone to open due to a large avalanche. Didn't happen, but the state campground was FREE and there were loads of animals. Bison, goats, bear tracks, etc...

Drove up to the northeast gate (beautiful drive on US 212/296) and had to turn around due to snow!! Literally had to take the trailer off and do a 3 point turn and hook back up - narrow road. My girlfriend wasn't impressed when I decided to drive 1 mile past the "CLOSED ROAD" sign as the road narrowed with snow and ice :rolleyes:

We finally decided to head down to Jackson, as we knew the south gate was open since May 13th. I like the town too, we stayed in a nice motel for $79 and had a great Japanese dinner. Refreshed! Headed into the park, it was still basically winter. We stayed at Madison the first night and Mammoth the second. Saw Old Faithful blow 3 times, so I'm a happy camper.

Now we're at a hotel in Great Falls, MT. We saw Virginia City and Nevada City yesterday and camped there. Somehow we're way east now, but oh well - we have no plan! Seeing some of her relatives nearby tomorrow, then winding our way down to Hood River. I'm keen to see Idaho along the way.

I'll throw some pics in here, finish my $7 bottle of California Pinot Noir and go to bed. We're 15 days on the road now, 6000km on the clock, and things are good. Got an oil change in Bozeman yesterday.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Got a bull bar in Cody

Posted Image
And a deer skull on the side of the highway :D

Posted Image
Tetons!

Posted Image

#17 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:04 AM

awesome trip man...nothing better than being able to wander a bit. Great Falls is certainly different after spending time in Yellowstone and the other places you have been....Nothing like the edge of the plains to make you want the mountains again. I will be in Great Falls in July for a quick visit with family. Then back to western MT, Id, Or and N.Cal for me :)

Cant wait to here about the rest of your trip!

Cort

#18 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:32 AM

Great Falls is certainly different after spending time in Yellowstone and the other places you have been....Nothing like the edge of the plains to make you want the mountains again.

You said it! It's only for a night though, and we found some great pizza which we haven't had in weeks and the wifi is fast at La Quinta Inn. So the scenery can wait, and we're only 60 miles east of some really nice views - where we're staying on a ranch with some of her family tomorrow, in Augusta. For those who don't know, check the aerial photo of Great Falls on Wikipedia :lol:

thanks for reading.

#19 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Locationwa state

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:54 PM

Gromley, sounds like you where there around same time I was may 9 thru 11 did a quick trip from washington to yellowstone playing tour guide for relatives that where here from germany, was a great trip didn't take truck and camper :( but the subaru got alot better milage, and relatives wanted more comforts of the Yellow stone inn, also got to see old faithfull blow a couple of times, all in all this was a great trip, even with the weather not being so great, rain and snow, got a couple of inches fresh snow on tuesday.

Ben

Attached Thumbnails

• yellowstone 117.jpg
  • yellowstone 226.jpg

Ben 96 f350 4x4 86 keystone

#20 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

Well, lots of driving since the last report and very little internets!

We're in Hood River finally. It's my friend's wedding this weekend so we're looking forward to lots of good free food and wine! And fun and stuff. We have a nice hotel room with a river view, and after 3.5 weeks and 9000km living in the camper we're pretty excited to take advantage of the space!

Montana was great, Idaho was an amazing suprise! Do people from Idaho just keep their mouths shut about how cool their state is? Because I've never heard much about it. Recreation abounds there. Amazing dirt roads everywhere, the Sawtooth Mountains reminded me of Europe in how gnarly they were. Backcountry skiing opportunities everywhere, and free camping everywhere we went! We found Hailey, ID near Sun Valley resort a really nice town. Nice enough to move to even.

Anyways, the things you learn on the road. Oregon has been great, did a nice scenic drive and then realized - OREGON HAS A COAST. So we hightailed it to the Pacific and dipped our toes and camped right near the beach, two nights in a row. In incredibly heavy rain.

Has anyone else spent sleepless nights in a FWC because of heavy rain? The roof is LOUD! I mean, tin roofs are romantic but this was ridiculous. Like drums.

Photos to come. More adventures as well. Next up is heading back to our native land Canada for a stint and then up to AK (where the groom lives and will find me in his house when he returns from honeymoon).

Toronto to Hood River is 4000km and we've done 9000. How's that for taking the scenic route? :P :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users