• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:07 PM

I misplaced the Grand Canyon photos and got busy with other stuff, so here are the belated last installments of the journey...

We rose early and headed for the Grand Canyon... which appeared this way looking into the morning sun--

Posted Image

The Grand Canyon is just that; over 250 miles long, averaging 10 miles wide and a mile deep (we are told) its eroded volume is well over a thousand cubic miles...

Posted Image

After a couple of hours of looking at this astounding gash I began to ask myself, "Where did all the mud go?" I suppose it could now be what makes up that fertile California farmland mentioned a bit ago, but the question only occurred to me (I now suppose) because I was staring into an empty hole: Lake Superior has 25% more volume than the Grand Canyon, and it is only one of the five Great Lakes.

At any rate, the scenery is impressive, as Edna's photos show...

Posted Image

#32 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

Here are two non-canyon photos...

We first encountered this motorcycle riding duo on the way in to Las Vegas. We didn't get a good shot at that time, but we noted their tank graphics announced that they were touring the world by motorcycle...

Posted Image

Then there was the elk Edna snapped...

Posted Image

One of the great things about our Hawk camper is parking convenience. I know that's not too manly, but it makes a difference on a trip of this duration.

Our son, Robert, had been staying with his aunt during this whole time. Robert, 26, is mentally retarded and autistic. He is still a great guy who enjoys close ties to his family. Since we had been visiting so many places without phone service, those ties were starting to feel the strain. Robert told his aunt that he had an "ouchie right here," placing his hand on his heart. She also told us that he would cry at odd moments in the day. This was too much for us, so we decided that after a brief stop in Winslow to visit the meteor crater...

Posted Image

... we would make haste to the southern tip of Texas to rescue our homesick boy (and his aunt). We drove from the Panhandle to the South Padre Island in two days, stopping in Spring for a quick sleep over and to leave off the tailgate and camper jacks. It wasn't a pleasure cruise, but the old F150 handled the task well.

Here is our revised route:

Posted Image

#33 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

Having reunited with Robert and Edna's sister and her son, what better way to celebrate than to go camping? So camp we did, heading for South Padre Island, at other times known as the spring break capital of the the Central Time Zone.

For the second time in two weeks, we camped on the beach...

Posted Image

...but this time it was another ocean. The Hawk housed the five of us (well, four and a half, actually) in comfort and style...

Posted Image

... if you agree with me to call this 'style'--

Posted Image

After sojourning for the day at the beach...

Posted Image

...we ran the home leg of our journey back to Spring, TX, tired, happy and together again. We logged over 5000 miles and shot more than that many pictures.

We are thankful for friends, family, forum members and our Four Wheel Camper.

#34 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

Thanks for the great trip report. Seeing how happy you and Edna are with your camper brought joy to my hart. It looks like you guys had a dream vacation. And I'm glad you are home safe and sound. Hope to see you on the road someday.

Cheers,

Mike

#35 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:40 AM

Very nice trip report. Thanks for sharing.

Your pictures are much better than you give yourself credit for.

#36 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:39 PM

Great pictures of the Grand Canyon!

One of the great things about our Hawk camper is parking convenience.

Are there only designated camping places around Grand Canyon, or can you just find any place you want (on government land)?

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#37 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

Are there only designated camping places around Grand Canyon, or can you just find any place you want (on government land)?

Mike

Dear Mike--

I was intending to convey parking in the lots next to the canyon. We could park in the regular car parking spaces, but they (the motor home, travel trailer and big hangie-off-the-back TC folks) had to park in special lots, farther away from the rim. This let us get to the view, get the view (and the pictures; thanks Edna!) and get back on the road again.

But your question about camping in the GCNP works a different angle, one that again persuades Edna & me of the advantages of the Hawk. You can only camp in http://www.nps.gov/g...campgrounds.htm in the National Park(s). We tried to avoid those places, preferring the National Forests which often adjoin, e.g., Kaibab National Forest in AZ. Quoting from Kaibab's website, "Camping in undeveloped areas of the forest is permitted. Practice common environmental and fire sense and 'leave no trace' ethics."

There are many more options for ethical camping in undeveloped areas with a Hawk than a pterodactyl!

:D

#38 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:47 PM

There are many more options for ethical camping in undeveloped areas with a Hawk than a pterodactyl!

THANKS for actually answering the question I wanted to ask, but did not word correctly! :D

That is the main reason we have an ATC camper on order... we do not like people, generators, non-smoking rooms that smell like smoke, etc......

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#39 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

mark, great pics, awesome trip, thanks fo rall your detailed posts...this thread is taking me a while to get through :D ! glad you made it safe and sound...cheers!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#40 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:34 PM

Flinchlock,

I read on a website somewhere ("free camping" or "boondocking" or?) a post by a guy that stated he always camps just outside the park's southern entry. Says he has a spot a hundred yards off the road but can't be seen. I haven't been there since I read it so have not been able to research the location. As I recall, that is a straight stretch with mostly scrub and low trees for miles. The park boundary is close to the canyon itself so you don't have to go far to be off National Park property. Not much help but thought I'd pass it on.

Ted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users