110 replies to this topic

#51 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:26 AM

I'm pretty sure virtually none of the OEM bumpers will be strong enough to lift the vehicle with a jack. I tried lifting my Tundra, placing the High Lift on the rear receiver just for fun. It was scary in that the truck was at risk of swaying to either side, which would rotate it right off the jack. Still, it was good practice in my flat gravel yard during daylight.

Anyone have any experience with using the High Lift to grab a wheel? They have an accessory with hooks on webbing to grab the wheel, but I'm thinking some 1 1/2" or 2" tubular webbing threaded through the spokes on my wheel would be fine.

Suggestions have been made to move this thread, but I'm thinking it's on topic. We've beat the High Lift to death and have discussed a few other recovery methods. I'm happy to move it, if DD wants to do it. Otherwise let's have more ideas to be: Stuck & Un-stuck -- Safely Getting out without getting hurt

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#52 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

I would be concerned it would rotate on the round Yakima bars and start playing percussion on my roof. :o

I (perhaps mistakenly) thought I saw two round bars between the cab and the cabover. That is why I suggested a "sling between," like a shallow tray.

Suggestions have been made to move this thread, but I'm thinking it's on topic. We've beat the High Lift to death and have discussed a few other recovery methods. I'm happy to move it, if DD wants to do it. Otherwise let's have more ideas to be: Stuck & Un-stuck -- Safely Getting out without getting hurt

I agree, sort of... Probably there's more to say about this humble jack. In particular, how to store it so that it is accessible and out of the corrosive effects of the weather. Why not leave it in this thread?

Interesting, interesting...

#53 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

This is the only thing to remove my truck if I break an axle in the middle of no where!!!! :D
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#54 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

I agree, sort of... Probably there's more to say about this humble jack. In particular, how to store it so that it is accessible and out of the corrosive effects of the weather. Why not leave it in this thread?

Interesting, interesting...

I just carry the jack in the back seat on the floor with a bunch of other crap, a big chain, a strap, collapsible shovel, and a 10t bottle jack. Like Lighthawk said the stock bumpers aren't strong enough at least for my F250 with loaded Grandby. On the front I can use the tow hooks as a good point to lift/jack. Now that I have 3 receiver hitches :lol: on the rear I can use the outside ones to lift. Be careful with those farm jacks!
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#55 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

Posted Image

Good Samaritan killed in freak tow strap accident

Posted Image

Posted Image

I made a personal decision not to get a kinetic recovery strap. Instead, I just purchased four of these on sale for $40, including freight:

4" x 28' Polyester Webbing

I need to get a shackle for my hitch receiver, but will rely on bends and hitches instead of hardware to connect and attach the webbing.

#56 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,396 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

This is the only thing to remove my truck if I break an axle in the middle of no where!!!! :D

Heavy Lift

In a real emergency this is what will show up.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#57 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

Anyone have any experience with using the High Lift to grab a wheel? They have an accessory with hooks on webbing to grab the wheel, but I'm thinking some 1 1/2" or 2" tubular webbing threaded through the spokes on my wheel would be fine.

I have that accessory in my kit but have yet to use it.

Posted Image

As for the swaying, I also have the base which is for soft surfaces but I haven't used that either. I have always wondered if it would help with the steadiness of the jack even on a hard surface. Anyone have experience using the base accessory on hard ground?
Posted Image

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#58 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

With considerable experience with this machine and it's owner I'm reasonably confident that Cam and the 'Link can probably get you out.
Posted Image

The jack that I carry on every off road trip isn't a hi-lift. It is this unit:
Posted Image
I removed the wheels and build the skid-plate to bolt on where the useless wheels used to be. It's not that pretty any more as it is the jack everyone reaches for when lifting is needed. At one time I debated building those skid-plates as a small volume item for sale, but at the time I couldn't get enough interest to justify a run of them.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#59 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,316 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

I like your idea of the skid plate,makes more sense than wheels. I would like to have that plate on my jack. I think it would still fit into the storage pocket where it is now. I'll have to contact one of my "welding" friends and have him make one for my jack.

I don't see where the jack with the straps on the wheel is of any use to change the tire. You still need something to support the axel so the wheel can be removed,only saying.

I also thing that all the replies to this thread fit into the subject. It's about safety IMO.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#60 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,608 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

I don't see where the jack with the straps on the wheel is of any use to change the tire. You still need something to support the axel so the wheel can be removed,only saying.

But this would be useful if the wheel was stuck and the goal was to put something underneath the tire for traction or to put chains on the tire. I could have used this last week when there wasn't enough room under the axle for the jack...

RE Hi-Lift: Somebody mentioned the need for proper lubrication. FWIW, I agree, based on personal experience with my old Hi-Lift. I have little experience with this jack except the one trip that we used it -- to jack up the rig of a guy who didn't have a jack. We raised it fine, but we had a hard time lowering the jack 'cause it was rusty and the mechanism wouldn't work. The guy said, "How 'bout I just drive off it?" I said, "How drunk are you?!" Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users