#41 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

I would really like to find a place to carry this. Pull Pal

A friend built one and has carried it for 20-30k miles. I don't think that he's ever used it.

Or, anyone tried one of these?

yep, the guy in the boonie hat paid $25 for that one at the Saugus Swap Meet; about 22 years ago.

Posted Image
(Side-wall puncture in Calico, CA's Odessa Cyn just below the Bismarck Complex.)
Thom

Where does that road go?

#42 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Well all this talk about getting stuck has caused me to purchase another High-Lift Jack. I owned one before, but apparently it has gotten legs and has disappeared. I got the cast 48" unit, figuring the 60" is just too dang big. I've also ordered a 10' tree strap and two more shackles to add to my kit. Better safe than sorry!

The question is: Where to mount the jack? I'm not real keen on drilling my Tundra rear bumper and I've already used the back wall of the Hawk to mount our ladder and gas tank storage. I know some folks have got theirs mounted vertical on the bumper, but I don't have the room. For now I've thrown it behind the couch. Underneath the couch won't fit anything longer than 42".

I'm wondering if I could use the high-lift mounting hardware to attach it to the underside of my Hawk overhang? I've been looking at the 12" wide overhang on both sides for over a year thinking about how I can utilize the storage. The jack weighs 28#. I'm thinking I would through bolt the 3/4"(?) plywood. Inside there will be carriage bolts and washers going through the commercial carpet behind the couch. Outside the jack will be mounted on the passenger side, hanging horizontally. Anyone have any opinion or comment before I drill more holes in my Hawk?

Here's a photo (best I could find in a pinch) showing the overhang:

Posted Image

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#43 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

Andy have you thought about the overhang on the rear above the bumper or the top of the bumper itself under the overhang.I made use of the side overhang to attach 4"&5" tubes to carry fishing rods,the sink drain hose and walking sticks.Those I just attached with large hose clamps screwed into the underside plywood.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#44 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

Andy you can see the tubes in this picture.I have a bobcat on my tundra so it doesn't overhang on the sides now.But the area on the rear is useful I would think to hold things that are about 5"or 6" by 4'+.I have looked at this space for some time as possible storage area,but haven't found anything i wanted to store there yet.

Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0005.jpg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#45 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

Nice truck, Frank :)

My configuration is a little different. The Hawk is wider, so I don't have the space where you mounted your tubes. But I do have 11" of useable overhang on both sides, which is about 4.5" above the 17" high truck sidewalls on the 1st gen Tundra. The jack measures out to just fit that area, but I want to mount up the camper to see it in place before I drill.

I'll either load the Hawk this weekend or as late as 12/24. It's gotta be done before we head out for DV on the 26th.
Nothing like an upcoming trip to push a project along to completion. :D

The High Lift LOC-RAC says it can mount horizontally or vertically. But they don't say it can hang upside down! I'm not sure the keeper for the foot of the jack would work the way I'm considering mounting, but if nothing else I can put a bolt through the jack itself on that end.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#46 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

Andy, can you sling it between the bars of your truck's roof rack, behind the fairing?

#47 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

Just looking at the web site for your jack.Is that the one you have? You could mount a spacer on the top side of the jack to compensate for the thickness of the base. Than use large hose clamps screwed to the camper to hold the jack in place.The way I hold my tubes on is that way.The hose clamps are screwed into the underside of the overhang with one or two wood screws and that seems to work.Using that space for things like that keeps them handy and easy to get to,but I could see where it could be a security issue.An easy place for things to "walk" away.

Thanks we just got that 02 tundra back at the end of Sept.We had a Ranger and felt it was under powered as it had a 3.0 V6.This truck rides much smoother and has plenty of power.I like the way the Bobcat fits on the truck.I just have air bags and i like them.I had super springs on the Ford they worked great but I didn't want them on the tundra.I like the idea of using the bags to level the truck.Don't know what kind of MPG we will get but since this is only used for the camper and not a daily driver don't see where it matters.I'll give up some MPG for more power and comfort.

Have a good Christmas and trip to DV.

frank

#48 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

You can mount the jack on a roof rack, but I would be concerned it would rotate on the round Yakima bars and start playing percussion on my roof. :o I also thought of mounting the jack to a single cross bar on the Yak tracks at the back of the camper. Even though it's only ~30 lbs. I would rather keep it lower.

I'll order the LOC-RAC thingamabob and go from there. It's designed to bolt to a flat surface, so that much will work. I just need to see the mechanism for holding the foot to decide if it's the right answer. When I get this figured out I'll take some pics and share.

#49 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

I wonder if the Hi-Lift mounting discussion shouldn't be spun off into it's own thread? It's certainly worthy of it.

Hi-Lift's have loose 'feet' and they will rattle if not dealt with. Not sure if that matters or not. One way to deal with it is to drill & tap the foot under the beam for a pair of set screws. Run the screws up into the bottom end of the beam just enough to remove the slop. I've also seen this done from the side. Not sure which is most effective.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#50 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

I have a question about these types of jacks. Will the bumpers on our trucks withstand the weight of truck and camper? I have been carrying a 2 ton compact floor jack with me. In my ford ranger I had to stow it in the battery box but with the tundra I can keep it and the original jack in the passenger side storage pocket in the floor under where the rear seat was.

I guess this thread has gotten off subject a little,one could move it to it's own thread.

Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users