• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

Well I am just about done with a experimental project to put a small gray water tank under the bed rail on the 2005 Dodge Ram. The reason I wanted to do this was to not have to put on a collapsible jug just to rinse a dish or two at lunch on the road.

I used a piece of 4" drain pipe (5 feet long). I got some rubber ends with clamps. I drilled a hole in one of them on the high side and the other on the low side.

I inserted a 90 degree through-hull connector. I Teflon taped the through pipes and they don't leak. The rubber ends act like a gasket. I used a adapter with a scrap of marine tubing to put on hose ends.

So the sink drain from the camper will go in the high end. Another piece of hose will be in the rear. I put a small air vent hole on the high side of the pipe. I attached the pipe with metal plumbing strap.

If I did it again I would probably use 5" pipe. It is too soon to see how it works.

Here is a capacity chart.

http://www.thermidaire.on.ca/pgw.html

I will let you know how it works.

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/OffroadingandJeeping/Ram-gray-water/21889883_vKf43t#!i=1745437763&k=HTxm86m

Keith Barnes
La Mesa

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:43 AM

I like the capacity chart, Keith. I bookmarked it for future reference.
Great lil' formula for round tanks: diameter in inches squared x yards tall = weight or gals/10 Approximate, which is often just right when working in the field!

On a side note to this thread, how many of you have problems with rodents getting into your gray water? We've had two instances where mice have clambered into our collapsible 5 gal gray water tank. Pretty gross pouring out a dead mouse in the morning! :o
I should probably work out some sort of cloth covering or rough gasket to thwart the rodentia!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:02 AM

I am looking at putting a 3" pipe above my bed rail and below the camper. I have room with a standard Hawk on my 2005 Tundra. I like your tank better and I think it will fit. Do you have room to reach that valve with your camper on the truck? Not sure I have room on the Tundra reach it and may have to redo the drain.

Bill in Stockton

#4 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

I am looking at putting a 3" pipe above my bed rail and below the camper. I have room with a standard Hawk on my 2005 Tundra. I like your tank better and I think it will fit. Do you have room to reach that valve with your camper on the truck? Not sure I have room on the Tundra reach it and may have to redo the drain.

Bill in Stockton

That valve was temporary. I am going to get a scrap of hose to run from the rear connection to just the edge of the bed and have a garden hose shutoff. I can reach up there to that area however from the back on the Dodge and through the tie-down porthole. On my 2001 Tundra I doubt that I could have gotten into there from the rear.

I am going to take off the 6 foot hose that connects the camper to the front of the tank and use a shorter piece that goes more directly to the front without a loop.

#5 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:33 AM

Great idea, very clever and thanks for sharing. The install looks really clean.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#6 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

On a side note to this thread, how many of you have problems with rodents getting into your gray water? We've had two instances where mice have clambered into our collapsible 5 gal gray water tank. Pretty gross pouring out a dead mouse in the morning! :o
I should probably work out some sort of cloth covering or rough gasket to thwart the rodentia!

I run a hard bucket with a lid and have a threaded fitting for my drain hose, not so much for the critters but to keep my kid from tossing stuff in it... Yuck.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#7 White Dog

White Dog

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNiverville, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

Very clever idea.

The same design could be used to carry extra water. My truck bed is 8'. A 4" pipe on each side would give me about an extra 8 gallons of water in a space that is mostly wasted.
2011 Toyota Tundra with a FWC Grandby

#8 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Next time (if ever) I have my camper off, I'm going to make one of these. I would also put a vent hose at the highest point to allow air to escape

#9 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:58 AM

I got the camper back on and everything clears. Added a length of hose to rear of pipe. Hangs out the rear of bed.

Needed to put a 90 degree hose connector up front and will have to get another to put on camper outlet, This will allow me to make the hose pretty straight, so it won't kink so easily.

A couple new pictures added to the gallery.

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/OffroadingandJeeping/Ram-gray-water/21889883_vKf43t#!i=1745437763&k=HTxm86m

#10 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

I got the camper back on and everything clears. Added a length of hose to rear of pipe. Hangs out the rear of bed.

Needed to put a 90 degree hose connector up front and will have to get another to put on camper outlet, This will allow me to make the hose pretty straight, so it won't kink so easily.

A couple new pictures added to the gallery.

http://keithbarnes.s...37763&k=HTxm86m

I like 'um.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users