76 replies to this topic

#11 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

You're doing great.
And, welcome aboard to another Santa Barbarian.
Dick (camelracer) should say hi sometime soon.

Thanks! I've actually been here about a month. Opened a satellite office for my structural engineering firm. Nice area! Moved from San Luis Obispo. Once the camper is finished Ill hit you up for some "local" areas to go explore! :)

Hi Paul,

Welcome to WTW. Quite a few of us are on Expo's forum as well. This forum originally started around Four Wheel Campers but has evolved. We have members that have other types of rigs now. Still glad to have you chime in. Nice work on the build. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Thank you! Expedition Portal is great, but WTW has been better resource to learn more about my FWC specifically.

Yes SLO_F-250, welcome and thanks for sharing all your work. It brought back lots of memories.

No prob. Ill get the latest progress picts up soon! B)

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

Welcome to WTW. I've been following your build over on expo.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

Welcome to WTW. I've been following your build over on expo.

Thanks Craig!

Well Guys, Project is coming along. Got a little time this evening getting the doors on. Few picts attached. Handles to come next and then new linoleum! :wings:

Posted Image

Open
Posted Image

Also gotta give that fridge a cleaning. 120V & 12V work fine, so I am hoping with a good cleaning, the propane will work too. Been "sprucing" the look of it up as well. Looking forward to showing ya'll!

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#14 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:05 AM

Welcome to the forum Paul. That makes at least 3 FWCs in the land of the Prius..

Dick
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#15 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

And a Phoenix + a couple more FWC's right down the road in Ventura.

FWIW some of that void above the fridge is to help it work more effectively and efficiently. There's a recent thread here that covers this a little.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#16 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

Welcome to the forum Paul. That makes at least 3 FWCs in the land of the Prius..

Dick

Thanks Dick! "Land of the Prius" HILARIOUS! Driving my rig around town I feel like I stick out like a soar thumb! :lol: Luckily I got the little hatchback DD.

And a Phoenix + a couple more FWC's right down the road in Ventura.

FWIW some of that void above the fridge is to help it work more effectively and efficiently. There's a recent thread here that covers this a little.

"FWIW"?? Havent heard that one. Interesting on the void. I have no idea how that can help. Any link to that thread? I have not added the drawer there yet. My other camper had a storage compartment above which is where I got the idea. Also FWC now puts a slightly taller fridge in to use that space so less of a void.

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#17 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:13 AM

I don't recall the thread's title, but what I do recall is that not all of the void is used, only the space at the rear. Has to do with getting the hot air out of the whole volume behind the fridge.

"FWIW": For What It's Worth.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#18 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

I don't recall the thread's title, but what I do recall is that not all of the void is used, only the space at the rear. Has to do with getting the hot air out of the whole volume behind the fridge.

"FWIW": For What It's Worth.

Yes, you are correct. There needs to be a heat shield of sorts up in that void to deflect the heat out the vent. But that is about it. When I added a fridge in my last camper I made one and when I took the one out of the hawk there was a factory piece of sheet metal there to deflect the heat. Ill make sure to snap some photos for you guys when I re-install with my storage area above. Still debating on having the counter top hinge up or doing a thin drawer there.

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#19 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

Hi all. It was my Friday off. We switched to a 9/80 schedule at the office. YEE HAA! I got to make more progress on that camper!

Had to keep it quiet till about 9:00am so I prepped the plywood with Henrys last night so first thing this AM, new Laminent tiles! How do they look?

Posted Image

Done!

Posted Image

Finally decided on that space above the fridge..... Drawer is the way I’m going. Not the flip up panel like my skamper has. Main reason is it was easier to build and I can put a mirror on the rear lift panel like I have seen some of you do. Build picts......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Insulating the fridge area....

Posted Image

Now it was time to rebuild the bench seat. Piece of cake. Im going to modify how it looks at the door, but that will get finished for tomorrow. I am also going to add a storage area for 2 batteries in the front. That is mainly dead space IMO and now a days FWC puts the water take there. Wish I had time to do that. Maybe next year... GOTTA CAMP IN THIS THING SOON! :bike_rider:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alright, while paint is drying it goes together. Its starting to look like the inside of a camper now!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This came earlier this week. Cant wait to get it in there! I sprung some greenbacks (for me) I know. :wings:

Posted Image

Bam, Great day. So during clean up I had a few brews.... :beer: So for a warning to all of you... Brews and amazon are a bad combo! Got some things on the way for next week…..

USB Charger Socket I have to thank Overland Hadley for posting that one. Thanks! :friday:
Posted Image

A fuse box to accommodate additional fuses and and will replace other one.

Posted Image

Been wanting this. Hope it works alright. We'll see.

Posted Image

One more thing.

Posted Image

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#20 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Nice. Keep on it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users