• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

I've been running the SB70 for a while now, with the stock battery (79ah) and a 120 watt solar setup and love it. The fridge runs incredibly well, and super efficient. It does tend to vibrate so ensure you mount it nicely and buffer it a bit if possible. It makes ice on level 3! What more could you ask for (more room I guess - but it's fine for the 2 of us).

Looks great.

Glad to hear you like your fridge! I can't wait to really get out and test mine, but it held at 38* all weekend no problem! Thanks for the compliment!

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#62 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Well the marathon weekend is over. It was fun, but tiring. Glad to have this camper project wrapped up for the most part. From here on out it will be lots of trips and little things. YEEHAA!! :lol:

I started out filling in the space between the counter and the back wall. Infilled the window and had some old scraps from the original camper to make it finish out nicely.... Turned out pretty good. I just need to get some matching hinges and handle for the storage door.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will store the cutting board & stove right in that little spot.

Posted Image

Dual Batteries now all wired up. I rewired the main camper power so it does not go outside anymore. I didnt like seeing the wires hanging out. :-) 10ga Main Power to Fuse Box, 10ga to Solar, 10Ga to fridge.... Looking good!
Posted Image

Main, Fridge, and Solar all go up to the cabinet through the two storage areas at the front end.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is how I hid the wires coming down from the roof/ solar panel. The canvas I got at a local sail making shop. $5 for a roll of scrap that matched. I have canvas for days now! Works great!!
Posted Image

Shot of all the electronic vitals with the cabinet on.
Posted Image

New Hunter Digital Thermostat. haha
Posted Image

USB Charger and standard 12V car charger hooked up with swtiches.
Posted Image

Overall shots of the inside all cleaned up and back together. Man I really like the counter tops!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is my stove hookup line. I was hoping it would have enough pressure stemming the line of the main one, but no dice. Looks like I will have to run another line unregulated and then have the main one regulated. For now though Ill just use my refilled green tanks. That project will have to wait for another day.

Posted Image

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#63 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

A few more Misc things inside.....

My Maglight mounted to the back wall. Very versatile "tool" haha

Posted Image

Few hooks on the lift panel. They come in handy!

Posted Image

Storage space under the cabinet nice and organized. I built the back shelves for the plastic plates, cup holder, and the tea pot is now hanging. MUCH less clanking around now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The new fridge. VERY NICE! It works great!

Posted Image

I also added the locking water fill thing on the exterior. I hated the other one. Leaked all over the exterior when filling it up. Terrible design.

Posted Image

And Lastly I got some time to mess with the truck a bit. I added a tailgate lip protector a buddy gave me off his new Chevy. Found some tail light grills on craigslist. Ya ya, Im not really that into the bolt on stuff but got them for nothing so figured I would throw them on for now. I also sprayed the rear bumper with the rustoleum bed liner rattle can style to match the front. Looks good, Sanded/scuffed the chrome all up. 2 Coats of etching primer, sanded again, and then 2 coats of the liner. Holds up pretty well.

Posted Image

While the paint coats were drying I was also fabbing up an additional light bar for the bumper. Finally got the lights sitting in my garage on the truck again!

Posted Image

Posted Image

WHEW! Lots of work. Now I'm 11 days out till departure for UTAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to get the rig DIRTY!!!! :D

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#64 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Well after this last 9 day trip the SW Utah I have to say all the mods I have done to the camper have been AWESOME!!!!! :D Everything worked great and I LOVE the new Engle Fridge. I have some minor things hear and there that I will get to but overall the big part of the project is done. The main thing I should have done is add another USB charger station and 12v charger station. On this last trip my camper was working overtime with all the go pro's camera equipment and cell phones charging. Guess that's what happens when you are the support vehicle for 5 guys mountain biking their brains out! haha I also would like to put a permanently mounted inverter in there. Not sure how expensive they are but am going to have to do some research.

Ill post more on my future plans/mods for the camper but for now how about a few picts from the trip and the last few mods I made.

I am still figuring out the bike rack situation and decided to scrap my swingout setup for now. Luckily my Thule Rack is able to bend down and get out of the way of my tailgate which allows me to have a step ladder. I found the traxion tailgate ladder online for about $40 and thought it would work great. Well lets just say it did. Make my setup nice and slick and I have just enough room to fit it in between the camper and tailgate. What do yall think?

Posted Image

Next I found a guy on WTW who was selling his Dometic Catalina 2500 awning. He gave me a killer deal and happened to be in St. George Utah where I was headed through on my trip. So I picked it up and field installed it on the mesa in Utah. Works Great!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are a few shots from my trip. Ill get a trip report started up when I get more pictures from the rest of the guys on the trip....

Camp First night on the road. Left SB/Ventura late and stopped off and camped in the desert about 30 miles outside Barstow.
Posted Image

Headed out in the morning. Had to play a little. I was dieing to get the rig in 4x4 and test it out a bit. Pulled out of the sandy washes with all that weight no problem. Bummer I didn't get better pictures.

Posted Image

Shot of Camp up on Gooseberry Mesa. Lots of bikes, tools, guys, and fun! You can see the new awning setup in the background.

Posted Image

This was my life for 9 days.... Oh I want to go back! HAHA

Posted Image

Cheers!

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#65 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,340 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

<snip>
This was my life for 9 days.... Oh I want to go back!
<snip>

:D

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#66 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Way cool. Look forward to the trip report!

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#67 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thanks Guys! Still working on getting pictures together for a trip report. Was a rough week back in the office. Just gotta find someone who will pay me to go explore and ride my bike! haha :D

Shot from the first night at Gooseberry Mesa. Setting up Camp.
Posted Image

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#68 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

I figured I would post up another little mod I did this weekend. The bench seat back part always falls over or moves when driving around. Might have something to do with the fact I always stuff that area full of bedding and clothes! haha B) I added some eye hooks in each corner of the camper wall and then a small wire loop to each side of the seat. Then used small bungees to keep the bench in place. That bad boy is not going anywhere now!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still working on getting pictures from my Utah Trip. Here is one from the camp near Guacamole Trail head outside Hurricane.

Posted Image

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving Holiday!!

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#69 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Well guys, sitting here watching it rain for the 3rd day straight, and guess what. I have a dang leak in the front part of the roof. Looks like I know what the next phase of the project will be! :smilies27

Can anyone give me a link for where to buy replacement roofing screws? They are about #8 metal screws with little rubber gaskets similar to metal building screws. Thanks!

As always... PICTS ARE GOOD! :-)

Posted Image

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#70 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

Interesting that engel fridge is the exact same as the norcold dc0040

Great photos, thanks for sharing those

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users