33 replies to this topic

#11 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

Thanks for the post that is a big help.

There was a recall on these units. You might want to check and see if yours was included in the recall.

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4883/

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#12 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

You might also check the plug-in cord from the camper to the truck for corrosion.

http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/6146/

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#13 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the info! I think I have narrowed it down the infamous Sure Power Battery Separator. One is supposed to be shipped. 4 weeks for delivery.

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the info! I think I have narrowed it down the infamous Sure Power Battery Separator. One is supposed to be shipped. 4 weeks for delivery.

I know I sound like a broken record,but I have found the battery isolator to be the far better unit.It doesn't get hot and a plus it will charge the truck battery through a solar panel,if you have one.
Just another opinion to think about.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:39 AM

Ok, I received the new and improved Sure Power Battery Separator and installed exactly the same way the old one was. When I start the truck it shows a charge everywhere until after the current runs through the battery separator. From what I can tell no charge is going to the camper battery.

I have one battery dedicated to the truck and an auxiliary installed under the engine compartment as well. They are wired through a standard automotive isolator that is installed on the fire wall. After that a standard two wire system (White and Black) move to the camper. My intent is to use the Auxiliary battery under the hood and the camper battery in unison to power the camper.

Is this because it is fully charged and the separator is not allowing the charge or should it show a charge going to the battery full time?

From the battery to the Sure Power there is a light two light gauge wires (Red/Black) going from the battery. The red goes to the sure power and the black goes to a sliver bar fastened in front of the separator. Is this the way it should be?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#16 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:12 AM

When you say "charge" what do you mean? What voltages are you seeing?

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#17 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:13 AM

Higher end of 13 (13.7-9)

#18 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:19 AM

Higher end of 13 (13.7-9)

Where at the camper battery? If so what is it at the alternator or main battery? If the same there your system seems to charge low or something, if higher there (14+) then you're seeing voltage drop. If the camper battery is rather low the voltage drop could be a sign of higher amps and understandable if fully charged already (or close) then something in your system is causing a drop. Walk along with that volt meter to see what numbers you have where.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#19 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:42 AM

The Numbers:

Alternator: 14.60
Dedicated Starting Battery: 14.66
Auxiliary Batt under the hood: 14.45
Solenoid Under the hood: 14.42
Truck Camper Connection (2 Wire): 14:35
Sure Power Separator (Wires coming in): 14.33
Black Wire coming into Sure Power and red going out to camper batt: 27.51?????
Black wire and Red wire that leads from Separator to Camper Batt: 13.81
Camper Battery: 13.22
The Camper was plugged into AC until I began taking the readings.

I just installed the Separator through the sure power recall. It fastened the wires as they were from the factory in so far as no one tampered with it. I heard the sure power click when I first installed. I am wondering if I have to let the battery drain to a certain level before it will start charging?

Appreciate the help.

#20 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:58 AM

What makes you think there is no charging going on to your camper battery?

Voltages seem fine though the 0.5V drop across the Separator seems high. Not sure the 27V reading is valid. Looks like you managed to read 2 12V batteries in series, not parallel. Given everything else looks decent, not sure why you would see 27V which might indicate the last battery is wired backwards. You would need to note the polarity of each voltage measurement and wire color and ensure nothing is fishy there.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users