Battery Not Charging

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:16 AM

They tend to run pretty hot. I wouldn't sweat it too much.I don't agree with the factory mounting location. It really should be located somewhere with better airflow. I moved mine under the hood.

Since you are running the camper from two separate batteries and didn't run the wiring yourself you need to check that the wiring is fused at the underhood battery as close to the + terminal as possible to protect the wiring going to the camper. You should also fuse the second camper battery in the same way. . Normal 12 volt wiring colors are red + and black - and I don't really understand why the builders of these campers don't use type TC cable in red and black which can be purchased as easily as white and black. The way these campers are wired is really their weakest point.

Dsrtrat

If the truck is off and it stays very warm or hot then something seems worng to me. If it is hot only while the truck is running, then that is due to the coil being energized and it will get very warm. How warm is too warm though, probably best left for the manufacturer to advise on. But if I cannot hold a finger on the unit for a minute or so withoiut fear of getting burned I would be concerned.

#32 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

I won't re post all my views about the Sure Power 1314 separator,but in my opinion they run way to hot to be placed inside a cabinet or even next to the battery under the seat.I think if you want to use this type of unit it should go under the hood.I know this has been the place of choice for years in a lot of campers,but i just didn't feel comfortable with this style of unit and went with the cooled running isolator supplied from ATC.
Check out the thread by Ugly Scout"recalled 1314 separator"
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#33 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

When I ran one of these sure powers, I kept it under the hood, near the front where it could catch lots of air.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#34 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

I have one more story to add to this thread. I have a 2009 Eagle and FWC tells me that newer Eagles probably won't fail in quite the way mine did.
I gradually noticed a weakening of the charging circuit. A voltage check revealed a 0.4 volt drop from truck battery to camper. This did not seem like much to me but a friend assured me it was worth tracking down. But I had no idea where the battery separator was hiding and so the route from truck bed connector to camper battery was a mystery.
On our last trip the charging circuit died completely and I learned that with solar one can live without an alternator. (for 5 weeks on the road)
So once we got home I had to dig. With some phone advice from FWC I removed the battery and water tank and found the separator hiding behind the water tank hoses in a special compartment of its own. A crimped wire connector had pulled out completely. I crimped on a new one and reassembled the works.
I hope nobody is able to benefit from this story as the job is time consuming and demands contortions. While I was putting things back together I took the time to redesign the panel connections to make it easier to remove them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users