• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#11 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:34 PM

San Quintin can be a bit edgy so dont be driving there at night ...

Please elaborate on this.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#12 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

the reason i suggested going through Mexicali for your first trip to Baja are the following ,going this way for a short stay you do not have to have a tourist visa,Mexicali is a less intimindating for a first visit ,easy money exchange on way in and out (Calexico border)easy to get through town to San Felipe,no toll roads etc.some nice camp spots on U.S. side if you are traveling far to get here(near salton sea) i suggest crossing over border early in the morning,things are calm gives you time to enjoy ride to San Felipe,past san felipe there are many small campos not like stateside campgrounds to stop at if you run out of daylight,past next small town (Puerto Cetos) there are some nice beaches to camp (one of the pics i show of coast line shows a beach 4x4 (Rough) only 10miles or so south of Puerto Cetoes ,very little traffic so you can enjoy.and the number 1 reason is that this part of Baja will not be like this in the near future as delvelopment is coming (paved roads etc)so enjoy while you can,in case you are unaware do not take any firearms,ammo,drugs big no no in mexico! so if you do not make to Bahia Gonzaga you will still have a great trip drive slow and enjoy "its the journey

#13 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:17 AM

Please elaborate on this.

Herr,

If you do go the Mex1 route down the Pacific side (TJ, Ensenada, San Quintin) I wouldnt stop to much, until El Rosario,45 mins. below San Quintin, or about 6 hours from the border. (El Jardin, San Quintin is a treat though.) Things above there just tend to be a little sketchy. Alot of big Agriculture, which means alot of migrants from the Mainland of Mex.

Baja Cactus motel in El rosario is good clean and secure. A great place to jump off from early on the second day. Its right next to the pemex in town..From El Rosario south, Baja starts.Ive never been down the east side talked about above.

NEVER DRIVE AT NIGHT!!! .!

TT

#14 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:56 AM

Be sure to check out www.guadalupe-canyon.com if you are going in by way of Mexicali. I know there is a lot of interest in the San Felipe side however my experience there other than Canyon de Guadalupe is that I would never go there again....we enjoyed the hot spring in Puertocitos but that was it....We found that the coast was all bought up by gringos and it was actually quite hard to find a spot to camp on the beach. Now we did not take the road south of Puertocitos so have no experience there. I would also not recommend much south of La Paz except the very northern part unless you are partial to seeing a buildup such has California has along the coast and very few places to enjoy the beach.
Just my experience and opinion.
If you do go to Guadalupe Canyon, go during the week. There is a large influx of gringos and Mexican tourists on the weekend and they told us they prefer it if you make reservations with the daughter in CA.
Brian

#15 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:25 PM

First driving at night generally is a bad idea because of many large animals(cattle donkeys etc) on the road. Also drunks not limited to cars but large trucks. Driving during the day is easier on the nerves and you can see stuff.

As for San Quintin. It has gone from a sleepy little town (I first went there 36 years ago) to the largest agricultural area in Baja. It's a 15 mile garish strip mall with all of the problems of a big city and lots of single men with money to spend. I have never felt threatened there and I go through it a lot. Not as much as Tom but during the day it just feels safer to me. Just my dos centavos.

The road south of Puertocitos has great views of the Sea of Cortez but it can be a challenge after the rains. Having said that every time I go I see a family of Mexicans in a 64 ford wagon taking there time and making the trip. I like that road but Pam prefers going in through Catavina.

I dont think I'd get an argument here if I said Baja has changed and continues to change dramatically. The longer you wait to go the more it will look like an American Colony. The rest of you guys can weigh on that.

Just a word about Bay of LA. The road now is nicer than Mexico 1 and with that brings more traffic but I think its still worth going there. It doesnt take long and a side trip to Mission San Borjas is worth doing. Be sure to stop at The Ejido house (the local caretakers). They are lovely people and will give you a great tour of the restoration work and the history (they have no love for the Franciscans). They are very poor and a small donation is always welcomed and they do some nice hadicraft work too. Also Its not a bad place to camp or just to picnic. Its a fun rough road through some great scenery as well.

Bay of LA is very commercial now but you must go to the sea turtle sanctuary its fantastic. We camped near there in may of '05 and had a hump back singing to us all night long. These kinds of experiences really are life changing.

The fact of the matter is if you love Mexico and Mexicans Baja is heaven on earth. It is far and away my favorite destination and I've been going there starting with when my non spanish speaking but adventursome parents used to take me there back in the late '40s ('48 Pontiac) until now 50+ years and still passionate about the place. I've run on way too long but GO!!!!
Here are a couple of pix from that trip also.

Attached Thumbnails

• San Borjas.jpg
  • Ocotillo.jpg
  • Small Baja Truck.jpg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#16 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:47 AM

If we just keep bombarding him with piccies, He'll have to go!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0467.JPG
  • DSCN1924.JPG

#17 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:58 AM

One of my fav's

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1202.JPG

#18 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

i really appreciate all of this commentary.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#19 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

Jeff just one more thing about night driving. Mexico 1 isnt like US 1. We are talking world class-take your front end out-pot holes in some areas. You cant see them at night. The get much worse after the rainy season. Baja is the poor red headed step child of Mexico. There is very little money for keeping roads in great condition.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:28 AM

Is that the only reason? One thing I can do is light up the road in front of me. How's the availability of diesel down there?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users