2tallDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

Newbie guys!

This is a fine site!

Concerning Baja,Baja Nomads is a good reference. It's dedicated to Baja fans and can give you lots of valid info. I get my insurance through http://www.discoverbaja.com/. The kiosks at the border are quite expensive but are fine for short trips. Discover Baja will write a 90 day policy at a relatively affordable price. be sure your vehicle is in good shape. The Mexican people will be very helpful especially outside of the cities.

2007 Ram 2500 4wd,5.9 Cummins,G-56,suspended by Kore,Carli and Thuren. Anarchy EFI Live.

2000 Northstar TC800.

#52 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:23 PM

Man, I haven't been down to Baja in years but used to go every few months to surf, etc. in the 70ies and 80ies.  Now living in Idaho, it's a bit further :-).  In those days we'd take coors and playboy magazines and trade for lobster.  Corona in Ensenada was $4/case.  Deposit was $6!  Bottles were worth more than the beer.  I don't think there was much alcohol in the beer as we usually allocated about a case/day/person.  Puerto Neuvo was just 4 huts then too; $6 for a giant lobster, frijoles and rice, tortillas.  Last time down there (mid-80ies) it was $12 (or so) and the lobsters were pretty small and there were > 20 casas and tons of gringos, etc.  Aw, the good ol' days.  We would go through TJ with no issues and getting to MX 1 had some tricks, etc.  Coming back required some real tricks to get on the far East of the checkpoint which always had shorter lines because you kind of had to double back around to get over in the right.  I guess I could check google earth to see if it's changed.

We are however, planning a trip to Scammon's (or around there) to see the whales early next year.  "In the day" to get reservations down in GN, etc you called someone in San Diego, they radioed down to baja (2 way) and there you had it.  Never made it down then.  Now, everything is on the web.  Any pointers appreciated.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#53 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:52 PM

Make sure your insurance will cover dirt roads. Some of them only cover paved roads and there are very few of them. A place to visit is Punta la Gringa, North on Bay of LA. Excellent clams there. You will go right by the turtle conservation center. Stop, donate. For a remote experience, go out to any of the Seven Sisters. A long drive, but worth it. Good surf. If you are REALLY, and I mean REALLY adventurous, go to Mission Santa Maria, East of Catavenia. You will need a high clearance 4x4 and a willingness to go for it. Possibly the worst dirt/rock road I have ever been on. Nasty, but worth it. Pools of water with palm trees will greet you if you make it. Punta Baja has great beaches to drive on, nobody there, the birdlife is outstanding. Good surf. Cabo San Quintin has excellent beach camping. If you can make it ALL the way out, it gets better. Tons of Pismo clams are there at low tide. Go to Sierra San Pedro Martir and the observatory, about 60 miles East of Punta Colonet. If you have the time, climb Picacho del Diablo, the highest peak in Baja, 10,000+. Good luck finding the trail, but it is worth the experience even if you don't make it. All of the above advise is excellent, smile, behave, respect the locals, help them if you can, relax and enjoy whatever the trip and life throws at you.

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#54 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

Have a new diesel and have read the sites that say that the low sulfur fuel is not available.... is this true. I want to go but don't want to screw up the truck.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#55 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:14 PM

Looks like our Baja plans are coming together.  We'll head down mid-to-late Jan and into Feb. and head to Scammons to see the whales.  Not sure if we'll do down via TJ or Calixco/Mexicali via San Felipe and then head back up the other direction.  I know the SF way is probably better but it depends when we visit family in San Diego. 

Looking for more recommendations (we'll stop and see Coco, El Jardin, etc.).  I haven't been down in a long time and used to go down once a month to surf back in the 70ies-80ies.

We'll be taking a Ram Ecodiesel and I've been reading up on where to get the ULSD down there so I think we'll be ok.

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#56 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:49 PM

As far as I know, Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel is not available south of the State Line at Guerro Negro.  It was supposed to be available everywhere by 2010, but that was 6 years ago and it's still not there unless it has just arrived this year.  Diesels are good, but before 2008 models.  Check on bajanomad.com

#57 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

Looks like our Baja plans are coming together.  We'll head down mid-to-late Jan and into Feb. and head to Scammons to see the whales.  Not sure if we'll do down via TJ or Calixco/Mexicali via San Felipe and then head back up the other direction.  I know the SF way is probably better but it depends when we visit family in San Diego. 

Looking for more recommendations (we'll stop and see Coco, El Jardin, etc.).  I haven't been down in a long time and used to go down once a month to surf back in the 70ies-80ies.

We'll be taking a Ram Ecodiesel and I've been reading up on where to get the ULSD down there so I think we'll be ok.

Kevin

See you there! We will be there Jan - Feb.  We will be driving a Tan 98 Chev w/ Hawk and 2 dogs. Perhaps we will cross paths. 

#58 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:38 PM

See you there! We will be there Jan - Feb.  We will be driving a Tan 98 Chev w/ Hawk and 2 dogs. Perhaps we will cross paths. 

Awesome.  We'll be in the truck in my profile but a White Ram 1500 w/ Eagle camper.  Us and one black lab.

Do you know where you'll be camping, etc. yet?  I think we're still planning and probably just play it by ear when we get there.  Not sure if we'll get reservations on a whale watching tour or not but if we need > 2 people (maybe there's a 4 person launch) we could hook up, etc.

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#59 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

Baja Travels Winter 2016-17 

It seems this thread may be morphing into a rough survey of folks planning to visit Baja this winter ?

We are considering another trip, our third, that will include some small boat beach time along with a few back county loops for history and natural history.

Glad to share trip planning, etc. There are lots of little tips that can save lots of money and enrichen the experience.

DavidGraves 

Toyota T100 / Hawk Shell

PS Can someone help me out with the whole "thread" concept and when and where not to write ?

I'm the only remaining human in the Northwest who does not own a smart phone.

#60 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:48 PM

Baja Travels Winter 2016-17 

It seems this thread may be morphing into a rough survey of folks planning to visit Baja this winter ?

We are considering another trip, our third, that will include some small boat beach time along with a few back county loops for history and natural history.

Glad to share trip planning, etc. There are lots of little tips that can save lots of money and enrichen the experience.

DavidGraves 

Toyota T100 / Hawk Shell

PS Can someone help me out with the whole "thread" concept and when and where not to write ?

I'm the only remaining human in the Northwest who does not own a smart phone.

David, Happy Thanksgiving!

The planning sub forum seems like the correct place, but if you're looking to coordinate for an upcoming wander, perhaps starting another thread would help keep things separated from the advice thread.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users