60 replies to this topic

#41 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

I received news that about 10 grand was raised for his new legs. I gues I nedd to call those folks and find out what happened.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#42 Vanderpooch

Vanderpooch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:32 AM

this is a killer syncro baha trip with a great Coco moment at the end!!

No FWC's but i'm sure you will Enjoy!
Cheers, John 85' Westfalia Weekender Coverted to Syncro Jetta 2.0 ABA engine conversion

#43 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

Great vid, that's real Baja. Gotta love the Calexico soundtrack too. Good stuff.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#44 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

I loved that and Mission San Borjas too. Did you notice the Unimog they brought along to tow them out of trouble?
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Copy of UNNAMED_FILE3354.jpeg

Edited by chnlisle, 17 April 2009 - 04:07 PM.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#45 Vanderpooch

Vanderpooch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:32 PM

Actually the opposite!

SYNCRO BABY!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2212113461_d56f8f03da.jpg

Cheers, John 85' Westfalia Weekender Coverted to Syncro Jetta 2.0 ABA engine conversion

#46 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:19 AM

Hi guys,

Great thread! I've never been to baja but my wife and I are thinking about a trip over christmas break. For those that have been recently how safe is it right now for traveling?
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#47 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

For any new people going to Baja, you might consider doing a guided tour with Gary & Monica.

http://www.turtleexpedition.com/

I think they are still doing the guided tours, but I'm not sure??

You might want to e-mail them.

I have met a couple of FWC people that went our their tour and when they came back, they we SO excited on what they learned.

(ex: how to cross the border, how to dealer with the federalies, where to get fresh fish, how to 4x4, when to air down tires, where not to go, the secret spots, etc.)

Everything you would ever need to get comfortable to make the Baja trip on your own from then on out.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#48 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

Hi guys,

Great thread! I've never been to baja but my wife and I are thinking about a trip over christmas break. For those that have been recently how safe is it right now for traveling?

The safest way in is through San Felipe and Gonzaga although Sunny and TT will probably disagree. It seems the trouble spots are from TJ down to San Quintin. And there is always safety in numbers. Just my dos pesos.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#49 Bajaahh

Bajaahh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationEncinitas CA, (San Diego County)

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:20 AM

The safest way in is through San Felipe and Gonzaga although Sunny and TT will probably disagree. It seems the trouble spots are from TJ down to San Quintin. And there is always safety in numbers. Just my dos pesos.

2008 4x4 Tacoma with RideRite airbags/Tundra Bilsteins. 2009 4WC Finch

#50 Bajaahh

Bajaahh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationEncinitas CA, (San Diego County)

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:27 AM

Driving in Baja/Mainland tips...
1. Get Mex insurance. You will need additional coverage for mainland Mex(most companies). If you drink and drive, then get in an accident, your insurance policy will be invalid. 2. Get a tourist Visa if your headed south of Guerro Negro(1/2 way point). You will need the Visa to head back across GN(unless you circumvent the checkpoint through GN). You can get a Visa at the US border or in Guerro Negro. If you get in an accident south of Guerro Negro without a tourist visa, your insurance policy can be voided. 3. NEVER drive at night, even on the dirt roads. 4. Guns or ammo=jail. 5. Drugs are no bueno BUT small amounts of all drugs are decriminalized, but you better speeka de spanish to convince the cop/army guy that you are an addict(which is allowed). 6. Get a basic translation book or download an App on your phone if you have the capability. 7. Carry fuel, at least 10 gallons. There are alot of new Pemex stations now, but if you do any offroad exploring, you will be comforted knowing that you can get out. Years ago, the gas stations would often run out of gas, but I haven't seen that happen in years. Gas can always be bought from roadside vendors or even fisherman but the markup is high. 3. Carry extra money!! I counted on going to the bank in GN during the Baja1000 and all 3 ATM's were out of cash and the bank was closed for some random Mexican holiday. 4. I never endorse paying off a cop, but I have made a couple stoopid mistakes in my years and I was happy to "Let the cop pay the fine for me" rather than going to the station myself. 5. If you plan on going to a campsite or hooking up to their electricity I HIGHLY recommend buying a voltage regulator. Mexican power is sketchy at best, imagine blowing out your fridge or computer if they have a surge. "Steren" makes a good one, I think they sell em at Radioshack for around $50. 6. Drive slow and enjoy the scenery. 7. Dont overpack, ANYTHING you need can be bought in Mex, and ALOT cheaper(except beer)! 8. "TOPES" means speed-bump, they can be disastrous if you hit one in your rig any faster than 1mph. 9. Leave your watch at home and smile, time should not be important to you in Mex...

Remember 99.9% of Mexican people are some of the nicest people in the world, they will give you the shirt off their back and ask for nothing in return.

Thats my dos centavos, it hasn't led me wrong in 25 years of baja travel.
Oh yeah, dont forget your passport...
2008 4x4 Tacoma with RideRite airbags/Tundra Bilsteins. 2009 4WC Finch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users