188 replies to this topic

#1 BluesideUp

BluesideUp

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMiami Springs Fl.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hey Guys,

New to the site and a newbie to truck camping, headed for GA next week to pickup 3500HD 4x4 with flatbed then on to KY for a 2010 11' CO Alaskan and back to Miami to begin the process of outfitting. I will post my progress with pics as it proceeds and would be appreciative of suggestions. The way I see it is that I know enough to get my self in a lot of trouble real quick.

Edited by BluesideUp, 27 October 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#2 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hey Guys,

New to the site and a newbie to truck camping, headed for GA next week to pickup 3500HD 4x4 with flatbed then on to KY for a 2010 11' CO Alaskan and back to Miami to begin the process of outfitting. I will post my progress with pics as it proceeds and would be appreciative of suggestions. The way I see it is that I know enough to get my self in a lot of trouble real quick.

There are alot here to help bail you out...or dig you in deeper....which may be the same thing ;)

best of luck with the 11'...looking forward to the pics

Edited by Rusty, 01 November 2013 - 01:21 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#3 BluesideUp

BluesideUp

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

Thanks Rusty.  Made it back to Miami with no issues from KY. I had picked up some stainless chain, turnbuckles and shackles from a rigging store before I left so the Alaskan was secured from the jack plates to the flat bed grab rail and for the most part stayed true. 

I will post some pics as soon as I resize them, what software works best for you?

My Alaskan was delivered to the first owner 3/15/2010. Interesting guy and had some very definite ideas on what he wanted based on living in Colorado. It had sat in a three sided barn for a least a year in KY. Very clean interior and a wash took care of exterior

Its an 11' slide in cab over which Bryan says is the only one he's made to date. 7" longer front dinette and wider bed 55 x 81.

He opted for floor heating with built in pex tubing for anti freeze in lieu of furnace, The anti freeze is  heated by a small propane fired heat exchanger. He stated while it worked well there were mixed results. it was plumbed so as to heat the exterior sections of the floor under the cabinets first then the exposed interior floor. I will reverse that to see if I can get better results

The extra space by eliminating the furnace was converted into shelving for storage

The hot water heater was eliminated and replaced by an external 115 VAC electric instant hot plumbed into the sink and powered by generator. Dual fans, 3 burner cook top no oven,  NovoKool 4500 and of course a thetford.

My first work scope is a platform extension for the flat bed not only to support the camper but to put some steel between the camper and my back up skills.

After that comes a semi permanent securing of the camper to the flatbed.

I want to secure directly from the camper to the flat bed, eliminating the jack pads etc  and would be interested in ANY feedback on that and dunnage under the camper. I want air movement under the camper so the transfer of heat or cold soaking of the metal flatbed is minimized plus to allow any moisture to escape

For the trip back I had purchased 1" x 4" placed along the exterior footprint of the camper to keep it off the flatbed diamond. The cab over clearance is 7 1/2".

Interesting side note was that while driving 65-70 I could place my hand on the cabover and feel the popup vibrate up and down 1-2" which is what has caused some chaffing marks on the exterior of the front hatch.

Once the mounting and securing is complete I will have some aluminum storage boxes made for above and under the flatbed

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

This will be quite the camper....a few others on expedition portal have done something similar but to find an 11' one off with pex heating is a real score...sounds like you're going to do it justice too....aluminum boxes.....man o man

a few have installed locking pins for that top movement issue...sounds like there may be room for a little something like that.

depending on how the floor is built...you may want a little rigid insulation and a removable hard facing of some sort to isolate the floor heating system from the truck bed but still be accessible for repairs...nothing lasts forever...

1/2-1" is usually enough air for circulation...Bryan used to use flat 2x4's for the mount (1 1/2")...bolted front and back only...I'de go stainless...I used to have mine mounted semi-permanently and thought if I could find some aircraft camlocks big enough they would be sufficient  to hold her in place...depending on what kind of use you intend 

I use windows viewer for most photo work....and adobe photoshop  when needed

can't wait to see the pics...

Edited by Rusty, 03 November 2013 - 06:29 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 BluesideUp

BluesideUp

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

Headed up to Ft. Pierce, FL to Turner Machine shop Friday to talk about modifying my Southern Coach (Redding) standard steel 9.4' Rodeo goose neck flat bed that came with truck.

On a mission to lower weight so I will look at reducing the head ache rack to headboard then fabricating a 4' extension to support the 11' Alaskan and hang a spare tire.

The first owner started with a long box but upgraded his truck to an aluminum goose neck flat bed. But he still had a 3-4' overhang so his fabricator welded larger extrusions under the existing bed allowing the platform frame extrusions to be inserted inside and pinned.

Simple solution but mine is a little more complex since I want to hang a spare and need more meat

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1963.JPG
  • IMG_1948.jpg

Edited by BluesideUp, 06 November 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm jealous....nice rig

I'm looking at upgrading from our 10' NCO....and that 11' would have been perfect....6'3" on the benches....ugh

I'll be watching the progress closely 

part of the problem with ours is....it's a family antique...purchased new in 1970...tough to release....lots of memories

#7 BluesideUp

BluesideUp

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

Interior pretty standard except bed is 55" wide and couches are 7" wider.

Furnace space converted for storage.  

Has awning rails on rear and under windows each side.

No oven or hot water heater.

Both Comfort Air Fans are intermittent and Alaskan now installs MaxAir. I would be interested in feed back on what you guys use.

I am going to convert existing interior & the exterior light assemblies to LED after all the exterior mods are done.

Basically Camper appears to be in good shape except for some light water staining on interior wood each side under couches by sliding access doors. Once the camper is mounted and before the boxes are installed I will seal sliding doors and insulate opening to prevent heat loss.

Always open to suggestions

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1991.JPG
  • IMG_1992.JPG

#8 BluesideUp

BluesideUp

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

On jacks in a Kentucky  3 sided barn

Attached Thumbnails

• KY Front.jpg
  • KY Back.jpg

#9 BluesideUp

BluesideUp

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

That is really amazing, 44 years and still going. I consider myself extremely fortunate, there were 4 other buyers knocking but mine was a reasonable offer. 

#10 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

nice score....

7" on the bench would have done it for me...I had seen this earlier and thought that someone didn't know what they were talking about....11 feet, right...and the covering on the bottom looked like...well I'll tell you honestly....a diaper....so I passed on it...not to mention it was in Kentucky.....

You're one lucky guy....be kind to it and you'll have a blast...nice heavy hydraulics too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users