Wanted newish Dometic small 2 or 3 way fridge BC

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

If you are thinking of upgrading to an Engle or ARB can you sell me your small Dometic propane fridge? I can pick up in AB, BC, WA, OR or even CA!

Thanks

#2 stclair

stclair

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Wish I'd known this a couple of months ago. I removed a really nice 3way fridge from my '08 Eagle, and added an Engel 2way. Rats.

#3 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:13 AM

Hi Wetcoast, I have a 2012, Dometic 2.0 cu/ft., 3-way fridge in my FWC Hawk. Is this the type of fridge you're interested in?  I'm thinking about going to a two-way, but I need to do some research on the subject before I commit...such as: Can I replace the 3-way with a 2-way in the same spot?  Is the process somewhat easy?  What do I do with the existing propane lines feeding the fridge I have now?  

So, if this is the fridge you're looking for, let me know....we can change from this site over to our email to discuss this further.  I live in the Eureka area in northern California, but I visit it Oregon often and we can meet some where in between?  

Happy trails...

#4 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:01 AM

Yeah, that would work for me. I could plan a paddle board trip on the Oregon coast. For the propane line, I think you can just put a brass cap either on the end of the line or at the T junction. The vent would be the only obstacle, I would need one and you might not want a hole in the side of your camper. Do your research and keep me in mind!

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:24 AM

Yeah, that would work for me. I could plan a paddle board trip on the Oregon coast. For the propane line, I think you can just put a brass cap either on the end of the line or at the T junction. The vent would be the only obstacle, I would need one and you might not want a hole in the side of your camper. Do your research and keep me in mind!

Cutting a hole(s) is not a big deal, measure twice. Need two vents for the propane, only one vent for the DC fridge.  I have seen the bottom vent turned into a small storage area with a door on the outside. 

Edited by billharr, 18 March 2014 - 04:25 AM.

#6 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

FWIW:

I have an ice box in my 2013 Hawk and I'm researching out 2-way refrigerators and specifically models that will fit into the area where the ice box is.  I've been looking at the 2-way Dometic and Engel models.  I was confused by the Engel SR-70 model dimensions so I called them to as what they mean by Length and Width and I'm glad I did.  The unit info below shows the cut out dimensions.  Their length is actually the measurement of the refrig left to right if you are looking at the door.  Their width measurement is the depth of the unit from front to back.  Based on my ice box opening it'll fit with only a small amount of cutting.

Model: SR70F-U1

Volume: 60 Qt

Power consumption: Variable from 0.5 - 2.7Amps (12V DC)

Power Source: 12V/24V DC/ 110V AC

Cut Out Dimensions: 18.27" x 20.63" x 20.43" (LxWxH)

External Dimension: 21" x 23" x 21" (LxWxH)

Net Weight: 44.8 lbs

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

Almost got a Truckfridge for my Hawk, but found a Waeco on sale. The Truckfridge is quite a bit cheaper. 

Bill

#8 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

Can I replace the 3-way with a 2-way in the same spot?  Is the process somewhat easy?  What do I do with the existing propane lines feeding the fridge I have now?  

NorCalHawk,....the answers are yes, yes and just cap off the propane line.

http://www.wanderthe...-dc/#entry60853

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#9 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

Is there a way to install the Truckfridge and not vent it to the exterior?  I don't have the exterior refrig vents and I'd rather not cut the siding to install them either.  Could the Truckfridge be vented into the interior of the camper?

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#10 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

Is there a way to install the Truckfridge and not vent it to the exterior?  I don't have the exterior refrig vents and I'd rather not cut the siding to install them either.  Could the Truckfridge be vented into the interior of the camper?

When I was at FWC the sales guy told me the DC fridge did not need to be vented outside. They had done one that way. Stan walked by and said it did not work needs to be vented.  IF you made some type of vent that has a fan it MIGHT work with an inside vent. I decided to cut a vent in my Hawk. Cut out the inside first to see where the wires and frame is. I used a multi-tool to cut the siding.

vent+fridge.jpg

Did did add a fan to get better ventilation. 

P1110742.JPG

Edited by billharr, 23 March 2014 - 12:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users