#1 menoco

menoco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

I’ve had a long run of electrical problems with my 2002 Hawk. Several, such as failing to install a solenoid and isolator, were self-inflicted. Last year, I ran down the battery several times. I take camper off for the frigid Wyoming winters, and last winter, I removed and stored battery in garage. It was probably depleted when stored. Later told that was a no-no.

Just did an over-night charge at local shop, but battery is still weak. At bottom level on monitor, and not enough juice even for interior lights.

Off to buy a new battery. Thought I’d ask for recommendations. Does particular battery make a difference?

If haven’t guess by now. I am electronically-challenged.

Thanks, Armando

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

I'm not a electronics/battery expert in any way but I have been using this sears 100 amp hour battery in two campers -

Diehard Platinum 31M

I've had good service. It's easy to find, and it goes on sale (got both of mine for $210 ea) often so watch for that.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Like the other poster, I use the Sears Diehard Marine 31M battery.  They go on sale frequently so just wait it out if you can.  They are heavy (75 lbs?) but worth it and have a 3 year warrantee and made by one of the major manufactures (which I can't remember who, but it's a big name, very expensive battery manufacturer).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

I'm also electronically challenged. I had battery problems for years, also mostly self inflicted. Finally had to get everything working right when I went to sell our camper. Followed ski3pin's lead and went with Diehard Platinum 31. Worked great. Wish I had done it years sooner.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Semi electrical challenged also.

There are things that you need to think about.

First you need an AGM battery,second you need to have a battery isolator/solenoid so you don't run down the truck battery,than you would be up the royal creek.

I still have the original battery in my Bobcat but when the time comes I will switch to the Sears 31M AGM battery.

I think IMO that the info from the above posts are some of the best to know about your needs.

Wait for the Sears battery to go on sale if you can.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

Been running a Sears Diehard Group 31 going on 4 years, still going strong. Others claim a pair of 6V in tandem is the way to go. For simplicity though, the Diehard is hard to beat. 

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#7 Central Toast

Central Toast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

I've been using a FullRiver battery (http://www.fullriver...e/DC115-12A.pdf) with good success. Granted, it has been less than a year.  It has a bit more juice (115 amp hours vs. 93) for a few less pounds. It was available locally for $240, so I imagine it would be available in bigger towns as well.  I waited and waited for the Sears battery to go on sale but it never did at my local store. After checking with solar shops and battery stores, I found that they stocked a better selection of AGM batteries than the auto places.

Free advice...you get what you pay for!

1988 Toyota 4x4 with a Skamper that almost fell out of the back!

2003 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 with a Northstar TC-800

2003 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 2010 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with a 2003 FWC Hawk

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:40 PM

I think the six volt golf cart batteries are the way to go if you have room for them outside your camper. I know some people install wet cells inside and add venting to me its just too risky. Inside the camper I'm going AGM. I also have the sears agm batteries. No solenoid or isolator on mine though. I use a marine switch. Even then I'm normally running them in parallel. For a weekend theres almost no way I'm running down all three batteries no matter what the weather. Most of the time my solar panels keep up batteries just fine. I always have the option of isolating the camper battery is if I need to and while manual its failure proof.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:56 PM

But it's not idiot proof, as I've found out on previous vehicles. Thom <- semi-idiot, wait, I think that I'll go with "Absent-minded" instead. I need something to isolate them automagically because I will forget eventually. That's a whole other topic and has been well covered here.

Our Phoenix came with two Trojan T-125 wet cell 6V's wired in series. They are inside, and are inside of a plastic box with a vent to outside ducted to it's lid. I've seen a battery explode and it's not pretty, but I don't have too much concern for this install. AGM's are probably what I'll buy when it's time, but I don't think that they are a superior deep cycle battery. They're just easier to live with.

I put two of the Die Hard Platinum starting batteries in our CTD about a year ago. No complaints and no worries about starting, even when I did manage to leave the inverter on over night.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

Do any of you keep 2 AGM batteries in your FWC? I have 2 of them, but I don't think they are Group 31 size. Maybe group 27 size.
Would 2 of those (group 31) fit in the roll over couch Hawk?
I love the amp hour size - I'm just not so sure it fits. Anyone have any experience in this?

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users