• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:52 AM

My fairly new Hawk has two group 24 AGM batteries in it.  Whenever these batteries die I will be looking at putting in larger AGM batteries in the same spot.  I'm hoping I can get a couple of group 27 batteries in the same spot.  I don't think group 31 batteries will fit.

FYI - I have two Sears Diehard batteries in my Dodge diesel and they are nice batteries.  All the folks over at Turbo Diesel Registry (forum for Dodge diesel owners) swear by them.  They're not cheap, but they're what I'll be looking at when it's time to replace my camper's batteries.  BTW, if you have a business Sears will open a business account for you and give you a GREAT deal on them!  I think I save over $100 on my truck batteries.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#12 menoco

menoco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

Thanks to all for advice. I don't have space for a 2 6V set up. And in fact, the Diehard Platinum 31M will not fit into the 11" x 7" x 8" plastic battery box. The Diehard 34M would just fit. But it isn't AGM. Is that critical? Hard to compare 31M and 34M, since specs on later are rather incomplete.

#13 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Thanks to all for advice. I don't have space for a 2 6V set up. And in fact, the Diehard Platinum 31M will not fit into the 11" x 7" x 8" plastic battery box. The Diehard 34M would just fit. But it isn't AGM. Is that critical? Hard to compare 31M and 34M, since specs on later are rather incomplete.

AGM is critical.  If not AGM you need a sealed and vented battery box.  You can buy a new battery box to fit the 31M diehard. I did that when I put the Diehard 31M in my 2002 Hawk. No problems with the battery in over 4 years, working great when I sold it. I have 2 of the FWC batteries  in my 2013 Hawk if they go out I will be going to the Diehard 31M (2?).

Bill

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

If you have room for a larger battery box just get a new one and the bigger battery. The plastic box's are cheep enough.

If you have the battery in the camper yes the AGM is needed.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 Central Toast

Central Toast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

You can ditch the battery box with an AGM, which should free up room. Strap the battery down directly to the floor instead.

Free advice...you get what you pay for!

1988 Toyota 4x4 with a Skamper that almost fell out of the back!

2003 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 with a Northstar TC-800

2003 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 2010 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with a 2003 FWC Hawk

#16 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Uh, even AGM batteries can have a leakage issue, so, I'd recommend that they also go into a battery box.

Here's my 4 year old AGM battery that I was contacted by the manufacturer about a possible issue.

They asked me to check mine and report back to them. 

Small damage to the bottom of the case and a small leakage into my plastic battery case.
Something no one saw when I purchased/picked up the battery. 

DSC01293_zps059a93b6.jpg

DSC01292_zps121072d6.jpg

The battery showed no signs of electrical issues, still worked good, however, they sent me a brand new unit at no cost to me, not even shipping costs, and they sent a return shipping label, so I could send the old battery back to them, at their cost. They wouldn't say how the issue came to their attention.

Perhaps an unusual occurrence, however, the battery box is just like insurance, at least to me.

The company... Lifeline.

#17 menoco

menoco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

Toast, you anticipated and answered my next question. W/o box, 31M should take up no more room. As Alley-Kat says, box is good insurance. I can't get Diehard here in Jackson, WY; can't even be shipped for pickup at our small Sears outlet. So, will get on our road trip - next week -- and see if Sears has box and its size.

#18 Central Toast

Central Toast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

Whether the leakage is into a box or onto the linoleum floor, the hazard from any (albeit rare) AGM battery leakage is not from the small amount of fluid, but from any gases that might vent through the crack in the battery shell. A battery box doesn't reduce that hazard at all unless the box is vented to the outside of the camper. If the battery box isn't vented, it is just taking up extra room, IMO. 

Free advice...you get what you pay for!

1988 Toyota 4x4 with a Skamper that almost fell out of the back!

2003 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 with a Northstar TC-800

2003 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 2010 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with a 2003 FWC Hawk

#19 Mr. Vertical

Mr. Vertical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Location80461

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:50 AM

I have the Intimidator 27M in the Grandby have had Good luck with this one! Can be found here http://www.tristateb...-c-476_478.html  also keep mind plugged in to a battery tender when not in use, as we have 3 bays & truck is used for Camping , lucky to have a company Van.

Tender,  http://www.granitedi...er-2-2-1-1.aspx

#20 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

You will want a true deep cycle battery.  I compare the weight of a battery to a starter battery of the same size: if it is much heavier (because of the thick solid lead plates), it probably is a deep cycle battery.

AGM batteries have a valve that will release gasses at a preset value (~ 4 lbs. over ambient).  Probably only an issue if you have major elevation gain or or your battery gets hot.

http://www.solar-ele...-faq.html#Major Battery Types

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users