Awning Project

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:58 AM

Here is a picture of the Shady Boy deployed. Haven't had it in the wind yet and I am sure I will need additional guy lines on the front poles.

Dsertrat

Attached Thumbnails

• Road trip 3-12 sites truck- kayaks 005.jpg

#32 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:23 AM

Hi Dsertrat.

Awning matches the camper fabric and looks like a simple system..

I like the picture…I try to guess at times where about the pictures could be from. Would this be West on highway 12 from Bryce and it is the morning sun hitting you???

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#33 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:17 AM

The picture was taken on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in the Marble Canyon section. The Vermillion Cliffs are in the background. Off of 89A close to Lee's Ferry. Early AM lighting.
There are a couple places in this area you can drive to within 50 feet of the rim on BLM land. Grand Canyon National Park lands start at the rim in this area so camping is on BLM land.
The canyon is only about 600 feet deep here but you can see upstream and down for several miles.
The Vermillion Cliffs National Monument has some very rugged terrain and great hiking off of the House Rock road.
One of my favorite areas.
Desertrat

#34 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:22 PM

Turk,
The "back yard awning" was an idea running around my feeble mind for about a year. I wanted something that had no legs on the ground because we camp on beaches a lot. It probably is wrong to say it has no legs. They just attach to the camper. I have the option of using the awning with the poles on the ground if needed. I can also stake it with pegs and line in the free standing mode. Because it's a triangle instead of a parallelogram it seems to be a bit more sturdy. We've used it a few times now and it holds up well in light winds. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with it. Best of all it was muy cheapo.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#35 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:19 AM

Here are my side and rear deployed. Shady Boy off the side, Tarp and 1/2" PVC off the back with adjustable poles. Thinking of making the rear a bit longer back.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0816.jpg
  • DSCN0818.jpg

Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

#36 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

*snip*Tarp and 1/2" PVC off the back with adjustable poles.

Will copy, Mike!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

#37 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:23 AM

Puffins,
I'm looking at creating a awning off the back as you have, but using an awning track ala Chnlisle. Where did you attach your awning? I'm considering either attaching it to the frame in between the rear latches, or to the factory rack. Not looking for a large awning, but tired off dealing with with wet entrance on rainy days.

#38 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:29 AM

Another option is the Kelty Carport. Haven't field tested it on my Hawk yet, but I have set it up at home and it attaches securely with velcro to the hasps. A much cheaper option and takes minimal space and weighs next to nothing. You can fit 3 people/chairs comfortably under it. It also can handle the wind quite well.

http://www.kelty.com...=carport&id=151

http://www.sierratra...elter_-_(Medium)

I tested the Carport Delux Large this past week with the FWC..It worked well in up to 12 MPH of wind. VERY versitle.

$200 bucks at Sport Chalet..Very light and compact..

When I install the 3rd bar rear portion of my roof rack, I think it will give me an option off the back as well..

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2788.jpg
  • DSCN2789.jpg
  • DSCN2790.jpg

Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#39 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

Hi Tomas,

That's pretty cool and sides too. Thanks for the pictures.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#40 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:13 AM

Kilroy,
I used tarp bungees back to the yakima rack that was there. Now back to stainless hook that I attached to the top sides. I made it for a 5' X 7" stack tarp. Link to old post for more photos: http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=534
Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users