18 replies to this topic

#11 exmx_racer

exmx_racer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:12 AM

Did you flip the wall cabinet so that the doors opened down instead of the FWC way of lifting up? If so, are you happy with this change? I've been thinking that they would be more functional that way instead of having to bend down to see inside the cabinet.

#12 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:52 AM

The new doors open down. Not sure when the change was made. My 2002 was a slide, my 2013 open down and I really like it. 

#13 RnK

RnK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:21 AM

Ditto with billharr - ours came opening down and we like it very much.

2004 Tundra 4x4 Dbl. Cab

2014 Hawk Shell

#14 exmx_racer

exmx_racer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:56 AM

Ahh - we have a 2012 Fleet! Missed out on that improvement. Will have to flip them over. Hopefully won't be too distructive.

#15 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

RnK, a great job and great pictures. We too use a one burner stove inside when its cold or damp outside to make coffee or heat up soup. Happy Camping.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#16 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

RnK

I like what you did for your dinette seating.  Is there a reason you cut back into the carpeted area?  The reason I ask is that my factory built front dinette on my 2014 Grandby has the wood seat bottom that lifts completely out to give access to the storage area under the seats and the turnbuckles.  You have to remove the cushion and then the wood seat.  I wonder if you thought about just building it out and having a removal seat for storage.  The only thought I had was that by cutting back you opened a closed area for additional storage.  Just curious.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#17 RnK

RnK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:39 PM

I like what you did for your dinette seating.  Is there a reason you cut back into the carpeted area?  The reason I ask is that my factory built front dinette on my 2014 Grandby has the wood seat bottom that lifts completely out to give access to the storage area under the seats and the turnbuckles.  You have to remove the cushion and then the wood seat.  I wonder if you thought about just building it out and having a removal seat for storage.  The only thought I had was that by cutting back you opened a closed area for additional storage.  Just curious.

Sorry it took so long to reply, Longhorn1 - we were gone for the holidays.

In our Hawk shell there was a small compartment (about 4 or 5 in. wide and maybe 7in. deep) that ran the length of the bench and was accessed by a hinged lift panel.  If you look at this picture -

gallery_5403_824_9983.jpg

you can see the front end of that small compartment.  The rest of it is accessed by lifting up the hinged door (the part with the white metal trim).  Its hinges are hidden by the carpet.  So when I made the seat I just cut the narrow door off where the seat begins and installed a bigger door, hinged on the same line, to make the seat and the storage.

Hope that answers your question!

2004 Tundra 4x4 Dbl. Cab

2014 Hawk Shell

#18 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:55 AM

I really like your build Robert.  I will probably order a Hawk shell and build something similar.  I haven't done much woodwork, but it looks relatively simple, yet extremely versatile. I like the lounging option.  It must be nice to be able to switch from the dining position to lounging.  2 people could spend hours hanging out in there if wanted.  The dining position looks perfect for eating a meal, using a laptop, playing cards etc.  The lounge position looks like it would be perfect for reading, using a phone, tablet etc.  

I've got a few questions.

1.  Are there any options you regret not ordering?

2.  What do think of the drivers side window?  Would you order it again?  It looks like a great feature based on your build.

3.  Are the privacy curtains actually private?  Are they blackout curtains, or does light still pass through them?  Are they actually worth $300 or would you make you own if you had to order again?

4.  How much did that fancy hitch step cost to get fabricated?

5.  Do you get 1 or 2 propane bottles when you order the furnace and are they held securely?

#19 RnK

RnK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

I really like your build Robert.  I will probably order a Hawk shell and build something similar.  I haven't done much woodwork, but it looks relatively simple, yet extremely versatile. I like the lounging option.  It must be nice to be able to switch from the dining position to lounging.  2 people could spend hours hanging out in there if wanted.  The dining position looks perfect for eating a meal, using a laptop, playing cards etc.  The lounge position looks like it would be perfect for reading, using a phone, tablet etc.  

I've got a few questions.

1.  Are there any options you regret not ordering?

2.  What do think of the drivers side window?  Would you order it again?  It looks like a great feature based on your build.

3.  Are the privacy curtains actually private?  Are they blackout curtains, or does light still pass through them?  Are they actually worth $300 or would you make you own if you had to order again?

4.  How much did that fancy hitch step cost to get fabricated?

5.  Do you get 1 or 2 propane bottles when you order the furnace and are they held securely?

Thanks, Bill.  So far the modifications are working out well - comfortable in both positions and it still feels fairly roomy back there.  We will be giving it a more rigorous test in a month or so.

1.  One thing we didn't get that sounds good to me is the extension of the pop-up to 6'9" as per 100acrehuphalump's post.  Don't know if that was available or not when we ordered or if it would have been prohibitively expensive.  The normal height is fine for standing (for us) but that extra few inches might come in handy for maneuvering on the top bunk.

2.  We had wished there was a smaller window to order for the driver's side (a 2ft or 3ft opener would have been perfect) but there wasn't so we went with the full sized window and have to say we love it for the light and view.  It no doubt lets in a little more cold than an insulated wall but we feel it is well worth it.

3.  It seems like the curtains are private but I have heard others complain that they are not blackout.  We don't generally camp where there is enough light to bother us.  That said, we don't live as far north as you - I imagine days can get rather long up there in the summer!  The curtains were probably worth it for us but if you sew, and want more blackout, it might be worth it to do your own,

4.  A local welder did it for $178 - it is a great addition.  I see that I left that out of my expense list (oooops again...) so that would bring the total to around $1,070 in mods.

5.  Two ten pound propane bottles came with the heater and they are well secured in their own ventilated compartment.

Hope that helps.

2004 Tundra 4x4 Dbl. Cab

2014 Hawk Shell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hawk, shell, build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users