• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

Being snowbound right now is giving me time to get caught up on some more previous trip reports. The following is just a portion of a 6 week adventure I was fortunate enough to take through the Rocky Mountains. I travelled through Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico in the perfect travelling months of August and September. It was another grand trip that I am still feeling the effects from, even today.

Here is my report of sorts....

I live just south of Yellowstone National Park, near the corners of WY, MT and ID. It's a wonderful area to begin a trip and it's no accident that I live here. The raw, rugged mountains and wilderness I saw in movies and read about in books as a child growing up in North Carolina, lured me to this region. It's been 14 years now that I have made this area my home and no matter where I travel, it's always a joy to return here.

Our neighboring state of Montana, is another jewel of the Rockies. The geography, the history, the rivers, the climate, the people, the wildlife and the aura of Montana cannot be described accurately. At least not by me. It must be experienced in person to truly feel the magic of Montana. But I hope you will endulge me as I try to convey to you, that magic.

So let's go to Montana....

My plan was to travel along the western border of Montana, on as many dirt trails as possible, to Glacier National Park on the US-Canadian border. I wanted to visit small towns like Ennis, Virginia City, Bannack, Wisdom, Seely Lake and Hungry Horse. I had alloted a week to make the ten hour trip from my home to Glacier NP via the many backroads that straddle the MT & ID border and it actually took 8 days. It was a solo venture. No passenger, no other trucks, no one else's timetable to worry about.

Rather than get bogged down in a lot of verbage and details, I want to share pictures of the area. If a picture is worth a thousand words, than posting pics will save me a lot of time typing. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the area or my my specific route for the curious. But as I said earlier, it would be impossible to accurately describe this trip in words. So instead, this is what I saw....

Day One - The Gravelly Range and the Madison River near Ennis
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#2 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:55 PM

Day One continued....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#3 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

Day Two - leaving Ennis, headed to Black Butte

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

Thats it. I'm doing my taxes right now so I can get the funds to hit the road. Beautiful country there.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

Day Two continued....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#6 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

Black Butte to Clark Canyon Reservoir -

This section was an accident as I missed a turn I meant to take near Black Butte. No complaints here. The days total was 100 continuous miles on the trail over the Gravelly Range Mtns. It concluded with some great colors at sunset as I rolled out of the mountains into a valley around the town of Monida.

I was low on gas and trying to outrun a nasty looking storm while losing daylight in an area I hadn't planned on visiting. To add to the drama, I remember listening to music from the movie "War of the Worlds". The drumming, suspenseful music while I barrelled down an unknown dirt road looking for some sign of civilization and fuel, really topped off a great day on the trail. It was days like this more than any other that proved what a great combination the FWC and truck are.

Who says you can't take it with you when you go?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#7 oly884

oly884

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:03 PM

Gravelies = awesome! I love that area, and I'm only about an hour and a half from where you started.
2004 Toyota Tacoma Extra Cab V-6 255/85/R16's Engel 45 fridge 2006 FWC Eagle shell Fold out bed, heater, arctic pack, 50 watt solar panel. Custom stove and cabinets.

#8 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

I've got much more to add. All totalled I spent 3 weeks in Montana on this trip. I'll try and be brief and not overload DirtyDog's server with pics and long winded musings. But I have all of these pics and somebody should see them besides just me. :)

I've gotta go do some stuff right now. Be back with more later -

- KC

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#9 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

You are right, photos like that should definitely be shared and I'm digging what I've seen so far...looking forward to seeing the rest of them. Nothing like a solo road mission with no time tables...keep 'em comin' amigo!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:07 PM