• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:08 AM

A couple of days later, my supplies were running low. I had made the error of heading for the end of the road with only enough provisions for a couple of days. At the suggestion of a fellow camper, I drove back down to Polebridge in hopes of finding supplies at the Mercantile store. Turns out I got more than I needed in Polebridge.

The Mercantile had a phenomenal bakery inside. And the Northern lights Saloon served gourmet dinners and beer in mason jars. In a couple of days the village was hosting Aurorafest, their big summer concert. Local and national musicians come to play in this beautiful valley next to the Flathead River. This was beginning to seem like my kind of place.

I quickly met some locals and was offered a free campsite by the river if I wanted to stay for the week and attend the concert. The food from the bakery was so good and the free spirits of the village drew me in. I stayed and had a wonderful time. Sleeping in, lazy walks to the Merc for lunch, napping in the afternoon, a swim in the river then to the Saloon for dinner and drinking beer from a mason jar all night. Fascinating talks with people from various backgrounds and some lost souls in this village of pop. 50, run soley on gas generators, with no electricity.

The concert was a great experience with several bands highlighted by a reggae troop out of Seattle. Man, you just haven't lived until you've danced under a full moon in the middle a lost valley in Montana, to the upbeat tunes of a 10 piece reggae band. So even though I thought I wanted solitude, turns out I was needing an authentic experience. I got one in Polebridge.

Polebridge and Aurorafest -
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#22 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:39 AM

I wound up spending 5 days in Polebridge. I somehow wound up hanging out with a nice family from Missoula, who were up for the week and some of their local friends. It was a great time full of lazy days, fascinating people and Huckleberry Bearclaws, my favorite treat from the bakery.

The concert was amazing. Great musicians, awesome weather, and fun people all around. The rest of the week I spent time writing, taking pictures and soaking up the experience. And drinking. Lots of whiskey and beer. Big partiers at the end of the road.

When the week was over I hated to leave. I didn't need to but I didn't see how it could get any better than that. And that week made me feel like maybe there was an even better experience down the road. So I regretfully left Polebridge, with a pocket full of phone numbers and email addresses for my new friends. It was a wonderful time.

More Polebridge....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yours truly, loving those Huckleberry Bearclaws -
Posted Image

....more to come -

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#23 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:46 PM

More great stories and pix. Jermiah Johnson would envy you. I know I do.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#24 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:22 PM

awesome kc, great report...reminds me of a similar event in babb, mt. we have got to party/camp/hang sometime! cheers and thanks for the pics and adventure!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#25 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:41 PM

OK KCO, I searched the Overland Journal site and cant find the hat. Where do we get the hat.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#26 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:05 PM

KC,
What a great rip through Montana I just had, thank you.

More great reasons to get out and "Wander the West".

So much to see within the confines of this great country!

Do you carry extra fuel??

TT
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#27 137buck

137buck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDeer Lodge MT

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

thanks for the thread, we were there in 2005 and i can not wait to return again, i thought the same thing about the first time i pulled into polebridge, but after listening to the kids whinning about getting out of the truck to walk around, we stopped and found one of the best bakery places i have ever had, and the people were more than friendly too....it diffiently is a must do trip imho....Paul

#28 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

Jay, the hat I received for being a 'charter member' of the magazine, ie I signed up for a two year subscription right out of the gate. I scored that fashionable hat and a big ol' sticker as part of the deal they were offering. I know they've been talking about doing some merchandise, so maybe hats will be available from them soon.

"You skin Grizz, pilgrim?" Coolest thing anyone has said about me. Gracias. :cool:

erod, seems like we're constantly tripping over each other's trails. I passed through Babb on the east side of the park. Another cool, middle of nowhere Montana town. We will tip a few one of these days.

Tomas, I still haven't resolved my extra fuel issue. For now I'm using the 'on a wing and a prayer' method. I have to get that resolved. It was more of an issue in Utah than Montana. Finding gas in MT wasn't a real problem. Even Polebridge had a 100 gallon drum with fuel for purchase.

I am thinking about throwing caution to the wind and mounting a 2.5 gallon gas can carrier on the back wall of the FWC, even though I don't have the wall reinforced. But 2.5 gallons would be plenty for extra fuel. That would give me an additional 30 mile range which should be enough to find a gas station. Plus at 15lbs total, it would be lighter than a 5 gallon can so hopefully it won't damage the camper. And if I'm not gonna need it, I can leave it at home. I think about the extra fuel thing waaaaay too much...

paul, very cool that you've been to Polebridge. I would love to see it in the winter. I understand a lot of folks from Whitefish, Kalispell and Missoula go up there for cross country skiing in the winter. I was shocked to hear that a few parents in Polebridge drive their children to school down in Columbia Falls everyday in the winter. Could you imagine? Driving that road everyday? Maybe a fair trade to have access to that bakery everyday though. Mmmmm....:rolleyes:

I've got some more pics and another story from my trip back to WY. I'll be getting those up soon -

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#29 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

KC,great pictures reminds me a lot of spots we go in Idaho ,wont be long and we will be back north can't wait! I don't know if you saw the single rack i made to carry 1- 5 gal gas can.It might work for you or anyone who does not want to mar out side of camper,as it mounts using jack bracket and bottom of camper,easy to remove or mount with 4 bolts.http://www.wanderthe...hp?t=763&page=2 (post # 19),takes the worry out of running out on the trail,and comes off when not needed.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Les, lqhkers

#30 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

KC ...

It might not be PCH but you sure have some beautifull country in your back yard as well. I hope to be in West Yellowstone at the end of May to do some Fly Fishing with an old buddy who guides out of Bud Lilly's Trout Shop. Nice pics and write up.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users